Wiki now in Beta

Discussion in 'Beta Feedback [Archive]' started by Mikel, Feb 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The wiki is live, well, Beta Live [​IMG]

You will notice a link labeled "Wiki" in the top navigation. This takes you to the wiki index page, but frankly, there isn't much on that page right now.

In this phase we are testing in a limited way the usefulness and functionality of the MilePoint wiki in three forums - American AAdvantage, United Mileage Plus, and Hyatt Gold Passport. When you visit any of these forums you will find a link to a wiki section developed specially for that forum at the top of the forum listing.

During this beta phase, registered users will only be able to view the wiki, not edit, while Original Members will be able to view and edit. Currently, only administrators can create new wiki pages.

The content currently contained in the wiki is minimal, but the structure and general setup should give you some idea of what we're envisioning as far as providing easy wiki access to relevant content from within forums. Having said that, this structure is not set in stone and we appreciate all feedback.

Original members are encouraged to edit and add to the wiki to flesh out the pages that do currently exist. Much of the "seed" content was copied from wiki content on FlyerGuide.com (which is owned by us), and many of the links will follow back to that site. Please do not take this to suggest that is a preferred method. But for the purposes of this beta, it was the best available option.

So, without further ado, please have a look and let us know what you think.

b8b, jhflau11, Gargoyle and 5 others like this.
  2. Well done ! I am sure it will become fairly popular.
    Does it count as a "message" and can we "Like" it ?

3. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
  4. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wiki edits don't count as posts and you can't like a wiki page. We recognize, however, that those who contribute to the wiki are likely adding value to the community as a whole and you can expect that we will take that into consideration - status wise [​IMG]

Freddie Listo, JALPak and piqaro like this.
  5. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    might be pretty tough to do automatically.

for example, i did these 3 actions to test history >

1 add "test"
    2 add "test 2"
    3 remove both

6. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Chimpy
    Original Member

Chimpy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great start.

8. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can we assume that the standard MediaWiki markup applies here as well, or is it only bbcode?

9. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems that page on FlyerGuide was replaced with another page, so the "correct" action is probably not to edit the page that was replaced but rather change the link to the appropriate page. I went ahead and did that in one place where I found that link, but there could be more.

Just so everyone knows though, while you are more than welcome to edit the FlyerGuide wiki, please don't feel you "have" to. Because we're testing on a very limited basis at the moment, we're kind of in an odd situation where you can't add pages to the MilePoint wiki, but you can add and edit the FlyerGuide wiki. This won't be the case longterm.

10. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Skyvillager Silver Member

Status Points:
    Long live the MilePoint Wiki! [​IMG]

I figured that a Wiki Index page should have an actual Index, so I played with it a little.

Thanks for the new sandbox!

Mikel likes this.
  11. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Only bbcode and html for the time being. There is some special (read:weird) template code I created so that I could recreate tables, but I wouldn't necessarily recommend using it, as I wouldn't be at all surprised if we got rid of it for something better at some point.

I'm speaking a bit out of turn here, but I would also venture a guess that we might remove the HTML option in favor or expanded bbcode options before all is said and done.

12. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Something weird is going on. The look of the page will change without editing....First it looks like the top picture but then after a while it looks like the bottom one. Then I clicked Edit and save again, it goes back to the look of the first one...I looked at the history no one has edited the page :confused:

Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 4.21.07 PM.png

Screen shot 2011-02-15 at 4.19.27 PM.png

flospi likes this.
  13. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Mikel:

I just looked at History of Main Index page - looks like JALPak and I were there at the same time.
    I wonder if my edits wiped out some of JALPak's work?! [​IMG]

What happens if several users are trying to make changes simultaneously?

Can we have some sort of flashing "Warning Status Message" advising other users that someone is making edits?

14. UADomer08
    Original Member

UADomer08 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used the table building code you had in the United forum to update the Elite status table and it seemed to work fine with a copy/paste. I'm not sure if this is the most efficient way to make these changes but for the early testing it seems to work just fine. Oddly though the style guide for the Wiki pages is different than the one used for all the other pages. Looks like its using some form of Courier as the font and has different bolding around the page.

15. Skyvillager
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OMG! [​IMG]

JALPak - that was me making about 10 edits...

I only looked at History list after finishing, and did not know you were there too....

16. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that's the case. I committed my updates after yours and they still have problems.

17. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good catch - we'll look into that.

18. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the intent to link to other sites or have Milepoint specific content? For example I'm looking at the AA FAQ (http://milepoint.com/forums/wiki/american-airlines-and-aadvantage-faq/) which has good content but everything is a link to other sites?

For example I might want to post something like: What should I find in an AA Admirals Club with a paragraph or two in answer to that question (since I've asked the same thing) - but based on the current formatting it doesn't really look appropriate?

19. JALPak
    Original Member

JALPak Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oosp I just changed your edit again because I saw an unmatched [/qoute] there. Didn't know it was you who put that in. Should we stop editing that page until further notice so you can playing with is first?

20. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The short term intent was to get something up there just as a way to create some preliminary structure - a blank canvas can be so intimidating. This will be a collaborative effort, and forming the structure will likely be part of that effort. I would recommend editing in a way that makes the most sense to you. If it also makes sense to the community at large, it will likely be adopted as the standard - or at least as the standard within the wiki section specific to a forum.

21. Mikel
    Original Member

Mikel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Feel free to continue editing. The feedback is more important than bug free functionality at the moment.

22. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok I made my feeble effort. Note that I have the rich text editor disable... But the code in the Wiki is to complicated, its setting the font, size, color and such in each entry making it hard to edit - all that should be in the CSS not the Wiki text itself, sample:
    Code:
    [*][B][SIZE=3][FONT=trebuchet ms]I got a voucher! Now, how can I use it?[/FONT][/SIZE][/B]
     [SIZE=3][FONT=trebuchet ms]For all of your options, read the [URL='http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)'][COLOR=rgb(23, 96, 147)][COLOR=rgb(23, 96, 147)][COLOR=rgb(0, 43, 184)]Vouchers[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/URL] page.[/FONT][/SIZE]

23. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think you need all of that BB code crap. I cleaned up one of the wiki pages and it still looks fine without most of it.

SC Flier likes this.
  24. iloveawardtravel
    Original Member

iloveawardtravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an 'original member' yet so haven't seen the edit view ... but is there any way to make the Wiki more 'readable' by adding some spacing between paragraphs or altering the format slightly? For example, see screenshot below from Hyatt Wiki.

MP Image - Hyatt Wiki Screenshot.jpg

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. IMGone
    Original Member

IMGone Silver Member

Status Points:
    Love the idea of the wiki ... Hating that it is taking up real estate at the top of every page of the forum. Mobile screens are small enough, that is a huge chunk (on top of the MP banner) that needs to be scrolled through just to get to the content being looked at ... Thanks!