Wifi on international flights

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by superangrypenguin, Aug 10, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. superangrypenguin

superangrypenguin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I saw on the enRoute magazine recently that 777's will start to get wifi on international flights with other planes getting it shortly (787s and 333s). I'm pleased by this and did not know this was the case until recently. Just sharing!

ACMM and Pizzaman like this.
  2. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wonder what the fee will be and how good it will be. Hope they get a good vendor.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada chose Gogo's 2Ku satellite solution for its long-haul fleet. It is currently installed on 11 aircraft - mostly AM but also DL, VS & G3 - and will grow to ~1200 aircraft based on current commitments. Performance has been pretty good so far.

4. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    AC was supposed to go live with WIFI on overseas routes with the 777's by November 1 but that does not appear likely as I have not seen the bubble on the roof of any AC metal yet. The narrow bodies are now all equipped for WIFI and it works well except on Northern Canada flight paths.

YULtide likes this.
  5. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    My BR flight was $28 for the flight but to be blunt, other than posting under a different FT handle, I couldn't get much work done.

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do not believe that was ever really the case. No way Gogo would have committed to that given the install pace that has been known for months.
    That's the Panasonic system. Very different than what AC will be getting from Gogo.

7. superangrypenguin

Status Points:
    Do you have a name for the Panasonic system? Would love to learn a bit more about it and how it works. Thanks :) I saw the install timelines on the AC EnRoute magazine. They mentioned that timeframe.

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Panasonic Avionics markets its product under the eXconnect brand of the Global Communications Suite. Both use similar satellites across the same frequencies but the on-board hardware has substantial differences.

superangrypenguin likes this.
  9. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    FA's have recently told me they were supposed to be live before now and they haven't heard a word about new dates.