Widest business class seat to Europe

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by michael21, Jan 13, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife and I are looking to go to Europe with our (now 11 month old in 5-6 months) using the lap child privilege so I'd like to fly the widest seat possible so when its bedtime, we can lay her on the side of the chair/a little bit on us and still be comfy...in either alliance-United or American.

Thanks-

First is also an option-please let me know. Looking to fly in June/July from Ord-venice or rome

2. bkramt1

bkramt1 Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you have AMEX points then SQ C on the A380 from JFK-FRA.

sobore and Wandering Aramean like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup. SQ will be, by FAR, the widest seat. But that only gets you the JFK-FRA segment. The blocked middle seat in EuroBiz should help a bit, too, but not as much. Plus it means at least one extra flight (and getting ORD-JFK on *A isn't possible non-stop so you either have to transfer from LGA/EWR or connect in IAD) so that might not be as useful. But it is a ridiculously wide seat.

chrislacey likes this.
  5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow no idea UA didn't operate ORD-JFK, seems like a huge hole considering all the partners that fly to JFK.

As for the original request, aside from SQ I'm not sure you're going to find a business class seat wide enough for two people to sit. Will your kid be too big to be allowed a bassinet location though? (I have no idea what the requirements for bassinets are).

You could also consider taking Economy Comfort on TK which are laid out 2-3-2, just like J except without the lay flat part. In that case it may make the baby seat more affordable. Lastly I've heard of some carriers offering discounted rates for full seats to kid, maybe that would work in your case. Unfortunately I can't seem to recall which carriers these are.

sobore likes this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is not that wide of a seat- however generally the fastest/least painful transit from ORD-VCE is via ZRH on LX- I would aim for that if at all possible. Second option is ORD/JFK/VCE on DL although the seats are quite narrow.

Jimgotkp and sobore like this.
  7. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I never realized this, and I'm shocked! :eek:

8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    LOT on their new 787's is 21.2", which is above-average (barely). UA actually has pretty good width too. Dark horse seems to be Iberia - at least according to Seatguru, 26"!

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Remember that seat widths are not a standard measurement the same way seat pitch is. One carrier might measure at the shoulders while another at the arm rests. One might be inside the arm rests and another might include them. There is a ton of variability in the measurements which makes figuring it out from such sources as the SeatGuru tables quite challenging. And that's assuming you believe that the SeatGuru data is accurate, something I'm not so convinced of given personal experiences.

The legacy CO 777s and 757s have wider seats than the legacy UA configs, FWIW, so keep that in mind as you look at those options.

I'm not really. There isn't much need to feed traffic over JFK for the *A carriers. They either have O/D traffic headed to NYC or they connect elsewhere in the many routes the alliance has coverage in.

skyvan likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but it's probably still surprising to many that the largest carrier in the US by some measures does not offer service between two of the largest airports in the country, one of them being their massive ORD hub. Without thinking too much about it, I suspect that JFK is probably the largest airport in the country that can't be reached non-stop on UA from ORD.

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I would bet that you're right re JFK being the largest which cannot be flown non-stop on UA from ORD.

Just because it is the biggest doesn't mean that there is a lot of traffic between the two. For NYC-area folks looking to go to Chicago LGA is likely much more convenient and there are nearly hourly flights there on business days from AA, UA and DL. Plenty of capacity to handle that market. No need to duplicate that at JFK, too.

NYCUA1K likes this.
  12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Think about it. Who would possibly fly this route, except for onward connectors? Pax heading to NYC would be better served into LGA or EWR. No one would reasonably fly this route unless they were connecting - so, perhaps bar one feeder flight a day, it was clearly a money loser. You can get to nearly (but not all) cities with one-stop service via different airports.
    UA dropped this route well over 5 years ago. JFK is simply not a focus airport for UA. Many European ports served via JFK are already served via ORD. Or, for those ports not served nonstop from ORD, pax could connect in a European gateway and still get there with one stop (in lieu of one stop in the US).

UA cancelled ORD-JFK even before CO was *A. Now, with the CO hub at EWR fully in the family, the route is even less relevant.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    But why does p.s. then fly into JFK?

NYBanker likes this.
  14. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    They'd love to move it to EWR...but the premium transcon market is a JFK market.

The fare difference between EWR and JFK is sometimes shocking, particularly in premium cabins.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Because of the perimeter rules at LGA. ;)

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Right, but there's no such rule for EWR.

Don't want to take this thread completely off topic, and certainly don't want to dispute the insights of the east coasters. For me when I think of NYC airports I first think JFK. Doesn't mean I actually like it ;)

17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The p.s. service still exists at JFK because there is still demand for the transcon service there. Corporate contracts and such still want the JFK transcons over EWR. Rational? Nope. But that's what it is.

United has to compete with DL, AA, VX and B6 on the non-stop routes out of JFK. Out of EWR there isn't really any premium competition today though VX is going to try in a couple months and UA has decided to kill them with capacity. Given the lack of competition over EWR they don't compete as hard. There are a couple daily flights on the 752s with flat beds to feed some premium TATL traffic but without the competition there is no need to offer the better service and higher costs associated with it.

The fact that the first thing you think of is JFK is all the more reason they have the transcon service there. :)