Widerøe iPhone & Android app

Discussion in 'SAS | EuroBonus' started by LN-MOW, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Since we need to build up the content, I take the opportunity to shamelessly plug the Widerøe app for iPhone and Android. We were one of the first airlines selling tickets on the web, and now we also are the first Scandinavian airline with an app! :up:

The app contains checkin, ticket purchase (under improvement), Flight Status and news&general info. You can also check in and see flight status for SAS flights.

Due to problems with the current version of Android, some features on the Android app may not work correctly. We are awaiting a fix from Google, but they seem to take their sweet time about it ...

It can be found where you normally pick up ypur apps - and of course it's free!

2. tosc
    Original Member

tosc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice one! WF is an amazing airline! :)

3. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you need to do some more work on your app LN-MOW. I've tested it a couple days this week, and I must unfortunately tell you that I have uninstalled it from my iPhone 4. The main reasons are:
    - it is incredibly slow

- the iPhone freeze at times

- some of the menu choices aren't really purpose built for the iPhone (thumb and index finger spread often to be used unnecessary)

4. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Merlin. Thanks for your feedback.

The app is work in progress and we are aware of the button issue and the menue choices. I assume you mainly refer to the booking window, which currently really is our mobile site. This is being revamped and we will also incorporate our price calender in the next version.

The slow- and freeze issue is new to me - I have not seen any other complaints on that. If this occurs in a particular area of the app, please let me know. Our programmer is reading this thread, so hopefully we can figure this out.

5. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    Talking about high speed action and smooth design - you can learn a lot by taking a closer look at the apps from both Swiss and British Airways

6. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    You (presuming you represent WF) should go help the SAS IT-department and straighten it up. It is my number 1 dislike about SAS; the horrible IT on their homepage.
    Sometimes little sister can teach big sister some tricks and WF has a much better homepage and got the app out sooner (although I do not think the app is that good since it doesn't differ much from going to the homepage on the browser).

Malu likes this.
  7. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    and the big sister is a grumpy old spinster who know all the answers herself.
    Please, let Odd and his gang do it!

LN-MOW likes this.
  8. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will install it now and give you my feedback once I have used it :) WF is an excellent airliner, the only one that truly understands Norwegian weather :)

LN-MOW likes this.
  9. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Version 1.2 is now out, and the changes are:

Bugfix:
    - Extended clickable fields on all links
    - Adjusted custom scenario where there is more than a delay code on the same route
    - Removed some "flickering" in the navigation between pages
    - Added explanatory text when there are no departures / arrivals
    Enhangements:
    - Added option to choose if you want to order / book via the regular site or mobile portal
    - Added all SAS destinations in "Flight Status"

Merlin: Would like to hear from you if you still have the crashing issue.

10. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    No crashing this time - just two things:
    1. You need to resample the Winderøe tail picture so that it has the exact size of the screen. Wrong picture size = longer time to load the app.
    2. The chat - do I need to say more? [​IMG]

11. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hehe .. not everyone are as picky as you, Mr. M ...

1. It's a little more complicated than that, but we are aware of it.
    2. Did you forget your magnifying glass? [​IMG] It's on our list too. But it works - that's the main thing right now.

12. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have misplaced it somewhere [​IMG].
    There are destinations missing in flight status - like HAU is not included as WF destination (WF508/WF573)

PS Gratulerer med overstått MOW

13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Indeed!

I'm downloading it today and will check it out over the weekend

14. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Robbiedeluxe Silver Member

Status Points:
    How come none of the apps out there today are able to display the gate information for OSL, ARN and CPH? Security issues? This would be a commuter's dream; to know in advance which gate your flight departs from (FWIW, I rely on the SMS from SK but you get the point).

15. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Takk gutta.. ! [​IMG]

Robbie - we'd love to do it, but the main problem here is the communication with the airports' own systems. The only way to do it right now, is to do it manually, which means that someone have to follow up constantly. That's not practical nor reliable, so it needs to be automated.
    We are looking into this, so hopefully we'll be able to offer this at some point.

16. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Manually? Why not just go to www.osl.no, fetch the content and parse it you on your side then push it to the app?

17. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the Norwegian airports will be no problem (LETIS information in XML format available online). Airports in Sweden and Denmark aren't that up to date IT wise [​IMG]

18. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Of course. :)

19. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    We're trying to be a little more sophisticated than that ... we're exploring a couple of options so we'll see what our guys come up with.

20. Robbiedeluxe
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Is it possible to beta-test some of your stuff? :)

21. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    Except for the first version, we've more or less thrown stuff right into production. Worked pretty well so far. :)

Malu likes this.
  22. Malu
    Original Member

Malu Silver Member

Status Points:
    This one looks useful!
    Will download and try for myself right away.

23. Merlin
    Original Member

Merlin Gold Member

Status Points:
    More and less the same way as Big Blue does it MOW, let the paying customers do the beta testing [​IMG]

24. LN-MOW
    Original Member

LN-MOW Silver Member

Status Points:
    HAU is fixed - we're looking at adding an automatic check to include all scheduled destinations.

Beta testing is overrated. There will always be some issues, but with Apple's approval system being ar rigid as it is, they will not approve an app that is full of bugs.

25. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this is a bit late, but haven't had the chance to fly with Widerøe till now. I just completed SVG - TRD - BNN with the first leg on SAS and second on Widerøe. I checked in through the Widerøe's iPhone app and I have to say it works like a charm. I especially liked the fact that after selecting the seat, it enlarged the entire row on the screen to make sure i am selecting the right seat. I liked the app very much. The only thing I would've liked to see is a possibility to save the boarding card to the app so I can retrieve it at the airport rather than going through the check in process again. Other than that, I think it does what it's supposed to :)

NordicLane likes this.