Wi_fi Question: Has anyone flown on UA 747s Transpac this fall?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by kansaskeith, Dec 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Particularly interested in Hong Kong. Throughout most of the summer, the flight I was watching most - UA 869 - was showing wifi available on flight status about half to three-quarters of the time. This seemed to be consistent with the overall published statistics that 50-some percent of the 747s had by then had the hardware added and were wi-fi capable.

In fact the flight I was to be on in September ended up showing that it had it, though at the last minute I cancelled the trip because of Typhoon Usagi and rescheduled for January.

But in recent months I have been checking most days, and not one day for at least two months now have I seen the service offered SFO - HKG. So I got into a very frustrating Twitter exchange asking UA if the service had been discontinued and they ended up saying no, only way to tell is just check flight-status two days ahead, because about 2/3 of their 747s have it. But that was the very point -- I *had* been checking that, and it has totally gone to zero. The Twitter dude or gal could simply not understand what I was saying.

I'm wondering if anyone has flown transPac on the 747s this fall and was the service in fact offered despite absence of mention on flight status? What routes did you fly? How much did it cost? Did it work well, or not? (AA's 77Ws to London are getting a reputation of the international wifi not working well.) Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

2. HubletUAFlyer

HubletUAFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    4/5 flights SFO to HKG this year had wifi and only two of those had the wifi actually functioning.
    I think it was $16 for the complete trip, and the service was patchy at times.

If it helps at all, I had kick ass wifi SFO to SYD...great speed and no service interruption, but on the return leg, it was horrible. Super slow and constantly dropping out.

JetsettingEric and kansaskeith like this.
  3. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks, Andrew. The 'spotty-quality' part of your answer reminds me what we're seeing with AA on the new 777s to and from England. As for availability and your 2/5 and 4/5 answers this year, were any of those in the last couple months? If you say "yes they were," that tells me that the service might be available even when flight-status doesn't show it, because it has showed nothing on the SFO-HKG UA 869 for a couple months now. Thanks again.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    On a flight from SFO to PVG a month ago it was offered. I briefly played with the free part, but didn't feel like paying. I think the return flight had it, too (no announcement unlike the outbound) as I briefly saw the network available during boarding. I wanted to sleep, so I didn't investigate further.

kansaskeith likes this.
  5. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew HKG-SFO back in November. The bird had WiFi and it was advertised as such in the flight amenities. The thing to remember is that the 744 fleet rotates regularly, and they're old birds that have had lots of MX issues. With very few exceptions, if the flight status doesn't report the bird as having WiFi, it very likely won't. Swaps happen all the time with lots of different frame types, and the 744 does it as well. At this point, counting on it is not a safe bet.

gaijin62 and kansaskeith like this.
  6. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did in October. Wifi worked fine on both legs.

kansaskeith likes this.
  7. bungalow1225

bungalow1225 Active Member

Status Points:
    Hi. I flew LAX-SYD-LAX once in August, and again in November in UA 747s. The first trip did not have the service, that I know of. On the second trip, they did have it on both legs, but I didn't even look at it except on the return, and then just the free part. I was working during the flight for several hours on my laptop, and had the wifi indicator on by default. It looked like wifi cut out for about 1/3 of the time, a long chunk of time in the second half of the flight. I remember thinking, boy if I paid $16 or whatever and needed to be online, I'd be pissed right now.

kansaskeith likes this.
  8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO-FRA in a 747 in October, both flights were wi-fi enabled. It worked on the outbound, FA made an announcement on the return that the wi-fi wasn't working.

kansaskeith likes this.