WI FI on AC?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by londoncalling, Jan 2, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Some time back AC announced they were fitting their NA fleet with WI FI to be operational in Q4 2014. We have yet to see this and there have been no recent announcements.

China Eastern has announced they will have WI FI on their PVG/YYZ flights starting now which is what brought the AC situation to mind.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    AC does have WiFi on A319s and some A320s via Gogo. Nothing on the long-haul aircraft yet.

3. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    As of right now, as I understand it, they only have two planes with operating WI FI and the are 319's. More maybe installed but are not operating yet.

4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of the major problems AC faces with wifi is the lack of an infrastructure across Canada to support airborne wifi. For a variety of reasons, the market is not large enough to sustain a commercial system up here. As for overseas, no details with which company AC might sign...also been told there are structural issues with the antenna installation on 787s given the composite material the fuselage is made of. Also, the experiment with GoGo on the YYZ/YUL-LAX/SFO routes was far from being a commercial success.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    :confused:

I'm interested to know where this is coming from given that several other airlines have systems installed on the 787.

6. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was told by a Boeing engineer when the 787 was previewed at YYZ for AC's 75th anniversary that the early models could not easily be retrofitted because of the carbon fibre used in the fuselage. Unlike metal airplanes, it was not as simple as cutting the appropriate "hole" on the top and fastening the dome and receiver equipment. Most airlines in their early orders had not specified wifi reception capability, so this became a later standard refinement to the plane. I can only accept his explanation since it made sense...he could have been jiving me. Though also recall asking this of someone at UA when we flew the 787 on the SMD4 if these planes had wifi, and he said no for the earlier 800 deliveries but yes for the 900s.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The initial UA -8s were delivered without and the -9s were delivered with. But the -8s will be retrofit to add it.

8. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Injecting a note of caution, here....

One does indeed hope that AC's on-board WiFi isn't throttled/censored to meet the dubious precedent set by MLL's Datavalet 'service'. I do use the word 'service' advisedly, there.

Infrastructure issues would be a serious concern, especially when overflying the empty four-fifths of Canada.

YULtide likes this.
  9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Most of the flights stay far enough south that the towers Gogo is running on work OK. Beyond that any speed limits will be governed by the Gogo systems.

mevlannen likes this.
  10. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, now there's somewhat of a relief. Do you know, offhand, whether bandwidth is individually capped or whether it's a case of dividing a certain size of digital pie betwixt the various hungry customers?

YULtide likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I don't know if Gogo actively has bandwidth limits per person on board but I know they can apply all sorts of traffic shaping controls on the connections. So it is less likely that one person is going to consume all of the bandwidth.

mevlannen likes this.
  12. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Given the confined quarters (digitally-speaking) of an aircraft in flight, that makes some sense. Honestly, all I could reasonably foresee for my desired in-flight connectivity would be to send e-mails. Not at all sure that I want to **receive** e-mails during what is otherwise an oasis of quiet thinking-time whilst aloft.

My need for entertainment is not all that high: I surely wouldn't miss the seatback tellies, either, especially insofar as they play advertisements at the beginning of the flight.

YULtide likes this.