Why You Should Rent Your Car to Strangers

Discussion in 'Other Car Rental Programs' started by sobore, Mar 8, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.newser.com/story/141214/why-you-should-rent-your-car-to-strangers.html

If you're like most Americans, you own a car that sits idle nearly all day. So why not make a few bucks renting it out to a non-owner when you don't need it? A company called RelayRides is going national with the concept this week, and Farhad Manjoo at Slate thinks it has the potential to "alter the nature of car ownership in the United States." RelayRides is different from others that have tried to tap this market for two key reasons: It's worked out the insurance logistics of lending your car to a stranger, and it doesn't own the cars in its service, people do.

http://www.newser.com/story/141214/why-you-should-rent-your-car-to-strangers.html

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting concept and fresh thinking, thanks for sharing!:)

rwoman and CharlesG like this.
  3. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Three comments ---

Zip cars already does something very similar, only they own the cars.

In the article, it says this concept will reduce global warming.... I'd like to know the basis of that statement.

I also wonder if all of the legal ramifications/tax/ insurance issues have been *really* taken care of, in particular will the person renting the car have to pay more insurance considering things like the number of miles per day the car will be driven.

DTWBOB

4. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    And even if all the legal/tax/insurance issues have been taken care of, I don't want to have to deal with the inconvenience of something like this-- people smoking in your car, leaving it dirty, or if they do have an accident, then you are without your car for however long it will take to repair/replace. I just don't need the hassle.

rwoman, jmrich1432 and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We shall not everything see "only" negative! It's fresh thinking!:)

rwoman and CharlesG like this.
  6. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    It is an interesting concept and I quickly scanned website, but this is the USA no one has ever completely worked out the legal issues.

rwoman, uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  7. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would hate to be the guinea pig that gets sued b/c someone I rented a car to may have been impaired when they picked up the car and I became responsible for their actions. Also, what if someone uses false ID and CC and steals your car? What about leased cars? I think the price is too high at $8-12hr I could rent from Enterprise or Hertz LE and get better rates if I keep it more than 2 or 3 hrs. Not being negative, but I wouldn't rent my car out to anyone not for $250 a month. What if RelayRides rented the car from you the re rented it that would shift the responsibility. Also how would person without a car to get there. I think car shares would be a better idea. People that live near each other would coop on a car and then schedule time when they need the car.

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  8. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the out of the box thinking on this. For people who travel frequently, their car may actually turn into a revenue generator for them as opposed to losing value year after year.

There are obviously many hurdles for a large percentage in allowing others to borrow their cars.... even if the financial/legal aspects have been figured out. However, for those who have cars that they are not emotionally attached to, I think this could work for them.

9. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not have an expensive car, but not something I'd be willing to risk!

:)

uggboy and CharlesG like this.
  10. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    Or what happens if you rent a car that has been poorly maintained, lousy tires, brakes etc. and you bang the thing up...

Then there's the issue of OEM recalls....

ad nauseum

DTWBOB

11. CharlesG

CharlesG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lol! I think it is an interesting idea... for other people! :D

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  12. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Programs like Zipcar would require manufacture of additional vehicles, and that manufacturing process creates emissions. With this program, people could use existing vehicles. Either program would also discourage some people from buying new vehicles if they have an option to share someone else's car.

CharlesG and rwoman like this.
  13. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're going to do what's called in the trade "a well to wheels" analysis, you have to include the changes in vehicle lifetime due to the fact it's been rented out and also the fuel needed for the renter to get to the car and return it.

One key data point that then comes into play is whether vehicle lifetime is determined by x number of miles or y number of years, or a combination of both.

DTWBOB

CharlesG and rwoman like this.
  14. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are interested in emissions reduction then these techniques are not the answer. The creation of efficient fuel cells or fusion energy are really the only way to go. I am pretty disappointed that it has been over a hundred years since the creation of the internal combustion engine and we haven't developed a realistic replacement.

CharlesG likes this.
  15. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    However, the people that are using this program would probably use public transportation or hitch a ride with someone. This leaves any empty seat on a bus that is still going to make its regular run across town. This program would also be too expensive for low-mid and lower class wage individuals at low end of $8 for just one hour. That is more than they spend in a day on mass transit. The person is now also using a less efficient mode of transport and creating more miles driven. So this may actually increase overall emissions over a period of time.

16. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to use Zipcar, but it was too difficult to get to in my neighborhood. If more people join these programs with their own cars, there is the potential for vehicles to be located in locations that aren't economical for Zipcar, like the suburbs or less urban areas of major cities (my neighborhood, 6 miles from downtown). I ended up buying a car mostly because I didn't have a Zipcar alternative. Public transportation was not really an option since it added 30-60 minutes to some trips, and friends didn't live within walking distance.

Since I'm only putting 5K miles a year on my car, I think its lifetime will be determined more by age in years than miles driven. I don't mind other people adding another 5-10K miles per year if it earns me some income to help pay the added maintenance and insurance costs.

I think people most likely to offer up their cars will be like me, or people like the guy I used to be who couldn't make it to a Zipcar location. If you are using your vehicle a lot for commuting and leaving it at work, it's not going to be available for others, and miles driven will still determine its useful life.

17. citizenrex

citizenrex Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with analysis of companies target audience. I just don't see it being beneficial to overall emissions. I also think the cost savings does not balance out the risk to the owner. If the company used come sort of vetting process with the cars and drivers, and had some sort of umbrella policy to cover owners this might be good idea.

18. mad_iceman

mad_iceman Active Member

Status Points:
    There is definitely market and and demand for such a competition to well established companies like ZipCar or Hertz. I just welcome it. Moreover, it will help us, consumers, to get lower prices and as a bonus we might reconsider if not abandoning the idea of owning a car but at least getting a right car for right purpose. E.g. 99% of time when I commute to and from work I am alone in the car and that means I could have smaller or more economical car for everyday life and rent that truck or van just when I need it.

19. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points: