Why You Should Never Trust The Photos Hotels Post Online

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    || Why You Should Never Trust The Photos Hotels Post Online ||

:rolleyes:

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think much of this is photo technique to make a room / lobby look bigger and brighter.
    I have looked at hotel photos online, arrived at properties and realized that the photo did justice to the place.
    The property was the same in the photo, but not nearly as desirable.

anabolism, Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Lately I found that hotel photos on their own websites are mostly spot on, especially Hilton, with them in our experiences the photo matched the room almost to a dot many times so far. Of course IMHO, it's important to keep things inviting by "enhancing" the photos a bit, but it's also important " to know " what a guest can expect in " real terms " too.

sobore likes this.
  4. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought the same thing, but in looking at the photo-fake out section, many of the photos are outright fraud in my opinion. Especially the photos where buildings have been removed from the room/pool view or landmarks made to appear close to the hotel.

anabolism, sobore and uggboy like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yep... this is why I'm always online looking at traveler photos of hotels whenever going to a property I don't know, or that I haven't visited in a while.

IMO it's just like fast food / real estate "staging" where the product is presented in the best possible light, and oftentimes reality is something else altogether.

Sweet Willie and uggboy like this.
  6. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and viguera like this.
  7. ella
    Original Member

ella Silver Member

Status Points:
    I don't usually rely only on the hotel's photos of their property. I'm just not that trusting. I'll comb the web for others' pics of the property as well as tripadvisor and others. There too I don't take all reviews as gospel but go with the majority opinion. There will always be exceptional glowing or denigrating reviews, but if most lean toward a positive or negative opinion, then I accept that as fairly accurate.

Sweet Willie, viguera and uggboy like this.
  8. FlyerTimH

FlyerTimH Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, I just check out traveler pics for the most part.

Also, most reviews are either from a really good or really bad experience. If someone has a stay that is to your expectations, they are less likely to write a review even if the experience was a good one.

ella, uggboy and foxberg like this.
  9. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree.

uggboy likes this.
  10. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    While most of these photos are only misleading or exaggerated, some are clearly deceptive and fall into the realm of false advertising IMHO. For example, the surfer guy who turns out to be standing in a hot tub.

On the other hand, the Ayres Hotel (Hawaii) looks just as good in both! The best the magazine could come up with for that is poking fun at the inclusion of a laptop in the photo.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  11. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Turns out there is quite an industry in fake reviews (both positive and negative). The crude techniques such as throw-away accounts posting over-the-top reviews are old hat. Now, professional reviewers-for-hire churn out reams of seemingly real reviews, both positive and negative. The number of reviews someone has written is meaningless these days.

uggboy and sobore like this.
  12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also, expectations and experiences both vary widely for the same facility. Someone who travels once every few years and usually stays at a Days Inn in Iowa will be wowed by the same hotel trashed by a seasoned professional who stays in major properties around the world. Even then, one person who gets a tiny, interior room will have a different opinion of a hotel than someone upgraded to a multi-room suite. This last aspect could be significantly avoided if the review sites simply had a way to indicate the type of room the reviewer stayed in.

FlyerTimH, uggboy and sobore like this.
  13. pokerhammy
    Original Member

pokerhammy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it's on the internet, it must be real. :rolleyes:

People are actually surprised? Do they believe that magazine models look like that everyday? ;) Even photos of regular people are of their best side or angle.

arkleseizure and uggboy like this.
  14. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, the other point is that frequently hotels do not post pictures of the room types that I am staying in. While its nice to see the Presidental Suite with its grand piano and 600 square foot marble bathroom, I'm in the far more modest single / double / king room 99% of the time.

I just commented in the TripAdvisor thread and this is one of things I use TripAdvisor for the most. Its refreshing to see pictures of actual rooms people stayed in, especially recent ones.

FlyerTimH likes this.