Why would I gift miles when I could buy them for the same price.

Discussion in 'US Airways | Dividend Miles' started by Sean Colahan, Nov 25, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got an e-mail about the current US Airways promotion of 100% bonus on bought or gifted miles. I logged on to my wives account to transfer/gift 50,000 miles to my account in short anticipation of some award bookings before US leave *A. I was quoted a price to gift the miles and in the fine print it said "miles are bought at .35 per mile"...I thought that was high...so I clicked on the buy miles page....and was quoted the same price. So why would I essentially be giving up my wifes 50,000 miles in a "gift" when instead I could just buy the miles at the same price and she could save her miles for a later date? One would think that gifting miles would cost less than buying miles...but then again this is US Airways were talking about.

2. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Most US Airways premium flyers (as you are CP) got this offer, and also received a reminder email today. If you look at the offer more closely, (you need to put your name and US Airways # in the subsequent webpage) you will see that US Airways will match your purchase of up to 50,000 miles, for a final cost of ~1.88 cents per mile.

Sorry to say, but you missed the "gifting" event of the year with US Airways. In October, you could "share" up to 50,000 miles with someone (e.g., your wife), and US Airways would match that amount (i.e., add 50,000 miles), for a total charge of $567.50 for 50,000 miles.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the right word for your indended transaction would be "transfer". In marketing lingo, the word "gift" does mean "buy", but only applies to items that neither you nor the recipient would want in their right mind (as in a "gift shop").

Newscience likes this.
  4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your right, confusing gift with transfer...and yes I did miss the transfer deal of the year:-(

Newscience likes this.