Why we still pay for hotel internet

Discussion in 'Travel Technology' started by sobore, Apr 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.koat.com/news/project-ec...hotel-internet/-/9153566/10961022/-/s20q0w/-/

For many hotel guests, paying for Wi-Fi is an outdated charge that you only get wind of when you're up in your room. Now that mobile phones have rendered hotel room phones largely obsolete, Wi-Fi is the new bugbear for today's traveler.

"A lot of hotels lived well off telephone income," says Kurt Ritter, president & CEO of Rezidor Hotel Group. "Telephone income was a big part of -- I don't want to say cheating -- but overcharging the customer.

"Everyone wants to make money, but I think you should make it in a reasonable way and internet, it's not a good idea to charge. It's like the air you breathe, the water you turn on -- it should be for free."
    The Rezidor Group owns mid-tier chain Radisson Blu and has offered free Wi-Fi since 1995, which is now available in more than 50,000 rooms worldwide.

"If I use the 60% (Wi-Fi) usage that we have over the chain and the median figure that travelers pay, we would have roughly $10 million more income a year," Ritter says. But he adds that even though the revenue from Wi-Fi could fill the international phone-charge void, he isn't tempted to charge.

Read More:
    http://www.koat.com/news/project-ec...hotel-internet/-/9153566/10961022/-/s20q0w/-/

doc, PointsCashMiles and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good man!:)

3. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    rooted droid :)

4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too. Are you using it as a hotspot?

mrredskin likes this.
  5. mrredskin
    Original Member

mrredskin Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, but i only use it when i'm using my touchpad (flashed with cyanogenmod) on the go or when traveling and no wifi is available or it costs $. i still have home internet since comcast actually does a great job with that in my area and is very reliable.

sobore likes this.
  6. PointsCashMiles

PointsCashMiles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting read, I think I may have just learned a couple of things - thanks!