Why Travel Price-Protection Doesn't Fly

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by sobore, Feb 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/travel/why-travel-priceprotection-doesnt-fly-1330374755905/

Best-price guarantees are taking off in the travel industry -- just as rising airfares and hotel rates make them less useful for consumers.

At face value, the pitch is an attractive one. Book airfare, a hotel stay or a vacation package, and -- if the price drops -- get a refund for the difference. Most big travel booking sites now offer such price-protection policies -- CheapAir.com is the latest, launching a program earlier this month offering up to $100 back. MasterCard became the first major credit card brand to offer price adjustments on airfare last summer. And as of late January, the Department of Transportation requires airlines to allow penalty-free changes and cancellations within 24 hours of booking. "It's basically a 24-hour lemon law," says Rick Seaney, the chief executive of fare-tracking site FareCompare.com.

Read More: http://www.smartmoney.com/spend/travel/why-travel-priceprotection-doesnt-fly-1330374755905/

rwoman likes this.
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, with this great deal, who do I complain to when that (cheap) consolidator fare does not earn EQM/MQM??

:)

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    WWW.MILEPOINT.COM - if anyone will listen. :D

rwoman likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might be better put on FT.... ;)

sobore likes this.
  5. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    if anyone will listen.:D

6. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might not listen, but likely to respond. :D

sobore likes this.
  7. davis5876

davis5876 New Member

Status Points:
    Hey I just downloaded the travel club app myTravelSOS.
    mytravelsos . It says I have a personal assistant and full legal/medical coverage while on vacation. Why should I be paying a monthly fee if it only covers a couple of weeks of vacation for me?