Why such blatantly lopsided promotion of US loans?

Discussion in 'Kiva | Loans That Change Lives' started by fcjapan, Jun 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know a half dozen or so just expired, and I know they want to help out KivaZip, but it doesn't really explain why the playing field is so un-level.
    KivaZip gets to stick in US loans anywhere regardless of merit (i.e. #3 on popularity sort).
    US loans get the prized real estate on the top left banner for "Featured Categories" while everyone else has to rotate for the leftover spots.
    The SMART campaign is basically run by ACCION afaik so maybe they feel pressure to bend over more for these particular loans? I don't know, is there some sort of boys club also involving Paypal and the absorption of its fees?
    I can't figure it out. Anyone with further insight (or guesswork)?

2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm naive but I don't see this as anything more than US loans being (generally) easier to fund given the dominance of US lenders.

Having said that, I too am troubled by the heavy over-promoting of US loans when they already have lots of advantages in raising funds (on and off kiva).

For example kiva zip would be better placed as a category at the top of the page than inserting kivazip loans as "ads" in the loan listing, in my opinion.

3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with this. That is why I don't fund U.S. loans.

icurhere2, milchap, YULtide and 2 others like this.
  4. brandonatkiva

brandonatkiva Silver Member

Status Points:

We had some similar questions from the Late Loaning Lenders team, so I wanted to share my response here too -- happy to answer any other questions you may have.

As we work to do more user testing as part of our development process, we'll be running a series of tests to try out new things on the Kiva site and gauge lender feedback on these changes. Right now one of these tests involves showing a Kiva Zip loan alongside other fundraising loans -- and right now this is only displaying for a percentage of visitors (which explains why not everyone is seeing this). The tests aren't perfect (for example, loans weren't respecting sort filters), but it's a way for us to try out new things quickly and see what kind of response we get. Our plan is to continue to run this test for a bit longer.

If you want to remove the test on your own computer, try clearing your browser's cookies. Here's a site with instructions on how to do that in different browsers: www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cookies

MissBurrill and YULtide like this.
  5. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Brandon,

Thanks for the reply.

You would probably regret that.

How is lender feedback gauged? ​

Cleared my cookies but the United States loans still come up under featured categories on the top left, every time.

6. brandonatkiva

brandonatkiva Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hahah fair point

Good question. We're looking at a handful of different things: click-through rate of the Zip loans, the conversion rate (number of purchases against the number of clicks a loan gets), contactus@kiva.org comments, lending team comments, and targeted lender surveys.

Ah, sorry for the confusion. The featured category won't go away, but the Zip loans should only appear when you search for US Loans right now (or click that featured category).

7. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah, thanks.
    I had thought you were just trying to give Zip a hand up.
    So what is it that you are testing for?

Which brings back to the original question of why the favoritism toward U.S. loans?

8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    + 1

9. fcjapan

fcjapan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy to see the playing field has been leveled and the US loans no longer get plastered everywhere. :)

icurhere2, MissBurrill and YULtide like this.