Why so valuable?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by michael21, Jul 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi there...For months, I have seen people say that the SPG points are the like king of hotel points...Can someone explain why...Like they are ok..better than hilton but for example the hilton cards offer 50,000 points, usually enough for one night. The SPG offers 25,000 again good for one night generally...I see solid value I guess with Cash and Points so is that it? is that where the amazing value people see in it?

Thanks

Max M, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy likes this.
  3. LXJenkins
    Original Member

LXJenkins Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention the large number of transfer partners.

Counsellor and uggboy like this.
  4. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on your taste and intended destinations, a more appealing selection of properties.

Some earlier advantages of SPG are no longer such strong points since competition has been driven to match benefits such as no blackouts on standard room awards.

michael21, you made a comparison of the number of points which could be earned from the credit card sign-up offers. Why are you not also comparing the rate at which points are earned by continued spending on these cards?

5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Starwood points are quite valuable just within their own hotel program, but the "amazing value" to me is (as I said somewhere else once before) that they are the "stem cells" of the miles & points world because of all the other programs they can be converted to. You can use them to top off another account to have enough for an award, or to rescue orphan miles, or to keep accounts from expiring.

6. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    25,000 SPG points can go a long way. Yes, 25k points can get you one night at a St Regis or most Luxury collection properties, but you can also get rooms at great hotels for 7,000 a night or 10,000 a night. For example, the Sheraton Fiji is a Cat 3 hotel (7k points/night) so you could have 3 nights for the 25k sign up bonus). There are also some really nice Cat 2 hotels (LM Angkor Cambodia, Sheraton Royal Orchid, Thailand) and for 25k points you could get 6 nights!

7. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    A lot of those 10 k a night hotels are equivalent to Hilton 50k a night options.

The value of Spg is best for cat5 and below. The value of Hilton is only decent for the top cat7 or w=a properties.

This is of course ignoring the added value of transfer options. I like Spg hotels too much to transfer points out.

SC Flier likes this.
  8. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    one great thing about starwood is that you can use the points for free nights that count toward elite status. use enough points to qualify for platinum for 10 years and 500 nights and you have platinum status for life. Hilton does not offer that option. Theoretically you could never pay for a room, just earn points on the credit card, us the points to stay for free for ten years and never have to do another thing to retain the status.

9. misterbwong

misterbwong Silver Member

Status Points:
    All of the above. Redemption values are great. Even better when you use the various promotions (e.g. 5th night free, C+P, etc). Great flexibility for airline transfers (though I choose not to use them for this). IMO, hotels are always very clean and nice with (mostly) superb staff. SPG points also have a relatively stable value. They provide a very consistent value year over year.

10. michael21

michael21 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if I have 48,000 SPG points, what's a fair number I should be looking for a trade?

11. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough .. although that feature of the SPG was only very recently put in place, HH has allowed awards stays to count toward status for what 10 years now.???

One can also acquire HH Diamond by credit card spend ....SPG does not have that feature to attain their top tier so by doing and maintaining your ten year thingy one would by necessity have to charge amost twice as much annually on the SPG card as opposed to say the HH Surpass to keep the top tier

marcwint55 likes this.
  12. philatravelgirl

philatravelgirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    For me cash and points is best and the points values outside of US. For example I stayed at Westin Sydney a few years ago for 40k points for 5 nights (5th night free) which would have been $400/night in summer. On flip side staying for P&C awesome -$90 at Le Parker Meridian in NYC (cheaper than my Amtrak tix), on the Grand Canal in Venice for $90, W Istanbul (suite upgrade) for 13.5k points.
    A programs value depends on your needs, for me Starwood and BA are best to visit multiple countries, for others it's AA and Hyatt.

13. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hilton doesn't have a lifetime program, plus the benefits are weaker and decreasing it seems by the day.

14. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a Preferred Member, I do not get upgrades, however, I have ALWAYS gotten decent rooms in Starwood Properties. and some of the lower Categories are absolute steals for redemption. Recent stay at the Tampa Airport Sheraton Suites was only 3K points. (Have already earned enough to replace them) Room on Second Floor, They paid for the cab from the Airport-- and this was an award stay. No breakfast but who cares if it is only one night at the airport.

And several times I have transferred Starwood points to Airlines. The 5K bonus is always nice.

I also have a bunch of Hilton points but the redemptions don't seem quite as good. So I am saving them for Hawaii.