Why so many AA Citi card types?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by royce242, Mar 9, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It seems like Citi offers like 6 or 7 different AA cards? Why so many?

I've gotten the AA Amex, the Visa and the Mastercard versions allowing me to collect huge signup bonuses for each card. I've taken those miles and used them for a free flight to FL from Europe! 80K miles of so for doing absolutely nothing.If I had a business, I'd be able to fly to the moon for free!

Why does Citi offer so many AA cards, offering sign-up bonuses to first time card holders for each different card? It's almost too good to be true!

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's not unique to Citibank and AA. UA and DL also offer a variety of cards with different benefits and sign on bonuses. They're targeted toward different types of travelers. Casual, frequent, businesses, etc.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Citi is a bit extreme though: at one point I had three cards that were basically identical from a benefits perspective and the distinguishing item was the logo -- Visa, MasterCard, Amex. Not that I am complaining ;)

As far as I can tell, Chase only issues UA Visa cards (Explorer or Club... and perhaps a no-fee 1/2 mile per $ card for downgraders). They still have Explorer Mastercard customers as a carry-over from the CO days, but I am not sure that it's possible to apply for that one.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The Citi AA AMEX and Citi Gold Visa actually come with little benefit other than earning miles. World Elite Mastercard has the EQM for 40K spend option and lounge membership. CitiBusiness is targeted toward businesses, not individual travelers. The Platinum Select is the only card that is offered as a MC or Visa, and they feature the same benefits. Despite more options with Citi/AA than UA/DL and their banks, I think they do a good job making the benefits/audience diverse enough to have it make sense.

I think it's easy to just assume or think airline cards all offer the same benefits, because there really is a "package" that is so similar among them with priority access, baggage fees, etc. But a closer look does seem to indicate that the cards do have some differences, and Citi seeming to offer owners a choice between Visa/MC/Amex on some cards.

Aktchi and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And there's a MasterCard as well, right? That's what I think I have in my safe... $50 annual fee, earns 1 mile per $.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There may have been, it's no longer offered.

My only confusion on the whole issue is whether some consumers actually do prefer VISA over Mastercard, etc.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Just pulled it out of the safe. It's a MC and says "Gold" on it. Looking at the Citibank site, it's indeed no longer available.

And yes, I don't think most people would or should care about MC vs. Visa. In the past there were apparently promos with Hyatt co-sponsored by MC that required you to pay with a MC for the benefit, but that was before my time.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are some merchants (probably not all that many) who only accept one type of card. If you frequent one of those places, you may want that specific kind of card.

9. veeyes

veeyes New Member

Status Points:
    I got the AA visa and amex but was declined for the MC. do i have for some time before i apply for the MC again?

10. royce242

royce242 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know Chase makes you wait at least 6 months. I usually try to stick with that when reapplying for a card I was denied.