Why so hard to get credit for AF tix, OO6 stock

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by Gargoyle, Mar 11, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Flew two segments on AF operated flights over 15 days ago. Part of a six segment itinerary booked on delta.com, 006 ticket stock, fare class V. The other four segments showed up right away, those two are still showing on delta.com as code S, which means "This code means that this segment's status is: Mileage too soon to post - pending verification from partner". Therefore the "missing mileage credit" tool won't even let me submit them for credit.

I shipped some materials back from Europe via ocean freight. That might arrive before my credit; that means AF/DL have an internal communication system that is slower than ocean freight, or equivalent to the transatlantic communications prior to the telephone or telegraph (1926). Maybe we should buy them one of those new fangled computer things?

2. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Posting times can be frustrating. This "some flights do post, some don't" situation is far from exclusive to Delta.

If you're in a hurry, write a letter and mail it in. Otherwise, put a reminder in your diary for a month from now and check then.

gregm and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I liked the way pre-merger that DL operated flights would post as soon as the GA scanned your BP. However, even then it was hit or miss on partner flights. They've had years to get the Sky Team computers to communicate, it's clearly on the same priority level with fixing the award calender.

USAF_Pride likes this.
  4. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or carrier pigeons.

WilliamQ likes this.
  5. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    My 2 little diddly squat Delta segments from Sunday still haven't posted. FLL-ATL-CAE. The itinerary info is there but no mileage.

WilliamQ likes this.
  6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The miles will appear. Their system is a little funky with the zero miles post, but they'll ultimately be there. No action required by you.

WilliamQ and gregm like this.
  7. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just dislike having to remember to check on things!

WilliamQ likes this.
  8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    How often do you look at your account? I suspect regularly, no?

If it zero, then it will stand out to you. If not zero, then it won't stand out, but will have posted.

You don't need to worry about this for DL-operated flights.

9. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, but every few days it will move down the page! I'm not worried, per se....just adding the fact that it takes them time to do ANYTHING!!

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DL responded to my e-mail and posted the miles. The e-mailed me that miles can take 7 to 10 business days to post (this was 11 business days, 15 days total) and they also wrote that "at the time of your next reservation, you can expedite the posting of your mileage by providing your Sky Miles number to the airline representative." Considering that I booked this flight on delta.com while logged into my account, that is a rather silly statement. Clearly they're sending out canned boilerplates that aren't tweaked or targeted.

gregm, WilliamQ and USAF_Pride like this.
  11. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    No way to argue that.

gregm, USAF_Pride and Gargoyle like this.
  12. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    You as a regular DL flyer - more than most - know this situation to be, mejor en su clase. I will agree it is not unique to DL although partner/codeshare crediting with SM is more of a problem than with MP crediting on UA's core Star members LH, NH and AC. Other carriers are hit and miss.

Now to the ocean freight example. That's not too amazing. I recall an undergrad geography fieldwork project in which we were required to compare travel times between now and a historical epoch using library resources. I chose rail travel in Wales. I compared the situation for a Bangor to Cardiff (trans-Wales) trip in 1865 with the then-current (1985) BR timetables. It was significantly faster in 1865 (under 4 hours) than in 1985 (six hours) - not because of tech, evidently, but because of service cuts/network & routing structure forcing connections at Crewe and Swindon etc. I don't know for sure b/c I have no reliable data source, but I'd love to know whether rail dispatch reliability in 1865 was better than in 1985, or now....

13. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Traffic speeds in London. IIRC, (but someone could google it to be sure) 100 years ago average traffic speed to cross London was 5 or 7 mph, now it's 3 or 4 mph.

100+ years ago there were several postal deliveries a day in San Francisco. I knew someone whos grandmother had a postcard that her grandmother sent the day of the 1906 earthquake saying he'd miss lunch and would be home late because he was working on the rescue efforts. The postcard, despite the earthquake, was supposedly delivered the same day.