Why so few refundable rates in Europe?

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by UA191, Dec 7, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm trying to find a BRG night at pretty much any IHG hotel in Europe & almost none of them have their cheapest rates set as refundable... whereas in the US, I'd say it's maybe around 30-40% of the cheapest rates are refundable.

What gives? And any strategies for catching refundable rates?

2. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi mjones, in Europe, all Advanced Rate are not refundable, refundable are only the flexible rates, the corporate rates and the senior discount rates. Some hotels need 3 days in advance, other 7 or 14 days in advance...

UA191 likes this.
  3. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi Rosalia, I know that the AR rates are non-refundable... with the Best Rate Guarantee you need to purchase the lowest available rate at the hotel, but it needs to be refundable. When do the hotels make their cheapest rate the refundable rate? Thanks for your response!

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite.

You need to book the lowest rate for the type of room you are booking but not necessarily only refundable or non-refundable. It is absolutely possible to BRG a non-refundable rate (though no canceling if they reject the claim) and it is possible to BRG on a refundable rate even if lower non-refundable rates are available, so long as the alternate rate you use to make the claim has identical parameters.

Choose the BAR option in the search on the IHG site and then you can pick a fully flexible/refundable rate from that section (with or without breakfast, too) and get the room you'll try to BRG against from there.

UA191 likes this.
  5. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know that you can BRG non-refundable rates, but I'm specifically looking for refundables just incase. I wasn't aware that you could BRG on a refundable rate if there is a cheaper rate available? How does this work? I thought that it had to be the lowest available rate...

6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has to be the lowest refundable rate for the room type you choose. Search for the Best Available Rate on the IHG site:
    search1.PNG
    Expand the results for any particular room type.
    search2.PNG
    Either of those rates can be BRG'd. In the case of the refundable one you need to find a similarly refundable booking with a lower rate. You cannot use a cheaper non-refundable to "beat" a refundable from IHG. Also, if things like the cancellation cut-off or other details are different, down to the guaranteed bed type or smoking/non-smoking rules, you'll likely lose the BRG claim.

Flyer1976 and UA191 like this.
  7. UA191

UA191 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow! Thanks a million for clearing this up... for some reason I had thought that only the lowest available was BRGable. Happy holidays!

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.