Why Seoul Should Be Everyone's 'Intro To Asia' City

Discussion in 'Asia' started by sobore, Apr 5, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-polis/seoul-intro-to-asia_b_2993058.html?utm_hp_ref=travel

My boyfriend and I booked a trip to Seoul without thinking too much about it -- the fare was sort of reasonable, we liked Korean food a lot, and both wanted to go somewhere in Asia. Thus, we weren't prepared for the quizzical looks from friends and family members wondering why on Earth we chose Seoul. This curiosity continued even after we arrived and met several Americans working there as teachers, who were surprised that we would choose Seoul, of all places, for vacation.

Luckily, our lack of any sort of planning except for booking a hotel and DMZ tour seemed to work in our favor. This was my first time in Asia so I was expecting significant language barriers, challenges in getting around and perhaps some serious culture shock. Instead, we discovered a city extremely friendly to English-speaking tourists with great public transportation (and food!).

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carey-polis/seoul-intro-to-asia_b_2993058.html?utm_hp_ref=travel

freebird and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, Seoul is a beautiful city. :)

freebird likes this.
  3. freebird

freebird Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love Seoul too. I went there several times for work and once with my wife. My wife and I always talk about all the great street/foods we had while we were there for two weeks. So many places to eat at a reasonable price. This may sound strange, but our favorite places to eat were the food courts in the basement of Lotte and Shin Sae Gae department stores. We had our last meal at Shin Sae Gae before leaving (Curry Rice was my dish and her's was Cuttlefish stuffed with spicy fried rice.)

This is my 100th post here on MP forum. I'm going to take out a cold bottle of Brawler from the fridge and celebrate.

sobore and uggboy like this.