Why Not KOA?

Discussion in 'Hawaiian Airlines | HawaiianMiles' started by avflyer, Jan 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Does anyone have a guess as to why HA has no mainland flights to KOA? Have they ever had one? Do you suppose this recent round of fleet renewal / expansion will bring one?

YULtide and Audy_KTUH like this.
  2. Audy_KTUH

Audy_KTUH Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good question. With the recent announcement of the new hub at OGG I was wondering why KOA wasn't considered. Perhaps its the smaller facilities at KOA that make it unattractive for increased mainland traffic. Or maybe the fact that there is only one runway makes it unreliable. Maybe some other HA experts can chime in?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    YULtide likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, some of the mainland carriers have flights from their hubs to KOA and LIH, but they often use 757s while HA would have to use (and fill) A330 or B767 aircraft.

avflyer likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA runs a 763 to KOA from SFO...I believe daily. I'm on it tomorrow in fact.

YULtide likes this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You are right, though I am fairly certain I have flown on a UA 757 out of KOA to SFO. Was several years ago, though.

Presumably the 767 would likely no longer be used on that route once it's converted to an international configuration.

But SFO is also a large UA hub with lots of connections. HA wouldn't have one of those on the mainland. UA funnels people into SFO and then onwards to KOA while HA funnels people into HNL and then onwards to KOA. And now they add OGG as an option.

avflyer likes this.