Why no MilePoint e-Newsletter?

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by eightblack, Mar 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would have thought one of the ways to spread the word about MP is to generate a monthly newsletter - which would provide a highlight reel of the best posts, content and stories from the previous month.

I know FT had has something similar, but I don't think it is managed that well. I'd much rather forward something like that to friends and colleagues rather than simply send them a link to MP.

Amazingly enough, there are some people left (me included) who don't use FaceSpace (or whatever the hell its called ;)). I'm too old.

Tim O'Brien, lin821, OY-JFS and 4 others like this.
  2. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had?!?

lin821 likes this.
  3. b1513
    Original Member

b1513 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That was going to be exactly my response.

4. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry typo by me. My humble apologies.

5. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    No apologies are necessary.

You should read it. You are prominently mentioned in the latest issue, released only days ago...

6. bluesky
    Original Member

bluesky Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could be handy, but only if it's done well.

AFF, the other, other BB, has one, but it's written so appallingly that I would be embarrassed to send it on to friends.

7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    They have low standards. They even mentioned Cholula and Gargoyle.

8. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I suspect now that we're out of Beta, and with a few more folks 'round here (look at them member numbers :) ) it makes good sense.

And if I recall correctly, Mikel even used to write such a newsletter, or at least managed it? And since we've got him 'round these parts he might be goosed into doing it again....

Question: what should go in it? Some things mentioned of course, recommended threads worth checking out. But what else?

9. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    It must have been a slow news month then...if they mentioned the drivel I write about.

But on a serious note, I never find out about the FT newsletter until after the event and I read about it in another thread. I'm subscribed to it, but is the only way you can read it via actually going to the specific area on FT. I would have thought it would be emailed to you as a standard HTML newsletter.

10. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    The TalkMail newsletter is sent via e-mail to its subscribers, and has been for years.

I do not know why you have not been receiving it...

11. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think latest promos and offers, mile and point earning tips, upcoming events, member profiles, and I'd like to see a global perspective (rather than a typically slanted US view on things). There's enough of us geographically dispersed to be able to generate the relevant content.

12. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nope, never received ONE edition. And I have checked my profile settings multiple times and ensured its not stuck in a junk folder. Very weird.

13. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also an FT member who has never received or knew about the newsletter.

14. Ant
    Original Member

Ant Silver Member

Status Points:
    Email is still the most effective and instant methods of communication through the internet, so I imagine MP will launch an e-newsletter — though a newsletter was kind of sent out by Randy at the end of Feb to announce the beta success. Most start-ups should generally start with the bare minimum of features, and then start to expand once it knows its users and content.

Since MP already has some advanced functionality, ie it keeps a record of which threads you've been visiting, it'd be great if it could recommend some threads based on previous threads viewed that the system knows the user hasn't visited, but would be interested in.

Also a newsletter should do what it says on the tin. Provide news, ie something new and that isn't already on the board. Could it be the first with some top offers? Could it even go out of its way to actually work with loyalty programs? For example, the first 1,000 sign-ups to HHonours get automatic Gold. Or provide an exclusive method to status match with some programs?

An MP newsletter should be the talk of the town, something that people look forward to every week that provides real value. People just won't be that bothered if it just provides a run-down of the top threads, some funny threads and a bit of trumpet blowing that "oh look we've reached 20,000 members now!"

15. techgirl
    Original Member

techgirl Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I just received the FT newsletter for the first time in months/years yesterday. Glad to see someone at IB is paying attention to this thread and addressing problems as they crop up. ;)

16. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Good question and glad it was asked. You'll see our first newsletter around April 1. MilePoint is not yet 3 weeks old from it's formal launch and it's always been our intention to do a newsletter, we also wanted to give the community enough time to mature slightly for it's content -- which as you suggest should be featured. We've got some nice surprises planned so stay tuned nd again, thanks for asking an indeed, we have a great newsletter editor with experience in Mikel.

17. techguru
    Original Member

techguru Silver Member

Status Points:
    Randy great job with MIlePoint so far -- best of luck with the venture, and looking forward to my first issue of the newsletter.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was under the impression that TalkMail is a production of InsideFlyer (aka owned by the same folks as MilePoint), not of FlyerTalk. :confused:

19. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    In the launch phase, current and updated news about the site. Upcoming workshops. How features work?

20. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not that it is germane to milepoint.com, but Internet Brands will definitely take steps to ensure that access to the TalkMail newsletter will be easier, more intuitive and more prominent, both through access via FlyerTalk and by e-mail subscriptions.

In the meantime, I look forward to reading the first issue of the milepoint.com newsletter, and I intend to subscribe to it if that option becomes available. As you may know, Mikel was the most recent author of the TalkMail newsletter on FlyerTalk, and I have always enjoyed his particular writing style.

Perhaps Mikel or Randy can answer this question: was Mikel the original author of the TalkMail newsletter, or was there someone who originally authored the TalkMail newsletter before Mikel?

21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The milepoint newsletter, On Point, arrived in my e-mail box about 10 minutes ago.
    There is also an On Point forum here, with info on the newsletter and about communication with members.

chrislacey likes this.
  22. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just received mine moments ago as well.

What timing! Is Mikel stalking me?!?

23. Dovster
    Original Member

Dovster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Followed, within minutes, by this post (no, not by me) on TOBB:

24. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be a new staff member at HOM with username OnPoint, assuming that Mikel or someone else isn't just using an additional account for convenience to separate different aspects of their job (or to be anonymous as the newsletter editor).

25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In addition to e-mailing the newsletters, will you be posting each issue in the onpoint forum? That would be a handy place for people to access it, especially over time. New members will be able to read copies that predate their membership, and some people won't receive or will overlook the e-mails (due to filters, not checking e-mail regularly, lost in the volume of e-mail, etc).

kwai, misman and sobore like this.