Why must I hear the seat belt spiel on every flight?

Discussion in 'Blogstand' started by sobore, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://travel.usatoday.com/experts/...he-seat-belt-spiel-on-every-flight/44794022/1

Question: On a recent flight I had to wonder why the in-flight safety briefing performed by the flight attendants hasn't changed one bit since the 1970s. Is there really anyone who doesn't know how to buckle a seat belt? This information seems outdated and useless to me. When will the industry come up with a more updated version of this pre-flight information? Certainly something that addresses the use of electronics would be better since I have often sat beside someone who does not shut off their device during takeoff or landing. Great column — thank you!

2. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have you noticed your seat belts in your car lately? They unbuckle by pushing a button - NOT by lifting a flap. Indeed, most Gen Yers don't see airplane-style seat belts until they fly. The kind of seat belts in use on airliners hasn't been used in cars for decades. I can easily see a kid fumbling with the old-style airplane seat belts, unless they got instruction.

sobore likes this.
  3. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good point!