Why it pays to join Skywards (even if you dont even think you'll need to)

Discussion in 'Emirates | Skywards' started by eightblack, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here's why.

100,000 Golds. And 300,000 Silvers. And approx 6 million members in total. Combine that with one of the fastest global expansion plans in the industry, and for the most part, extremely aggressive (or at least competitive pricing) going around.

Their airframe delivery is behind, but their marketing is continuing, as are new routes etc.

Their loads are extremely high and the make up of the Y cabin is mostly leisure travelers with zero status. Because of the simplicity of Skywards, you only need 50,000 tier miles to reach Gold, or 25,000 tier miles to reach Silver.

Which means if you are smart and check loads before booking, using tools we commonly use such as ExpertFlyer etc, you can give yourself the best possible chance of an op-up.

I've had at least a dozen op-ups in the past 12 months (possibly more). Once, I had 5 in a row and I'm buying the cheapest Y fares. Granted, it depends on the routes you fly, but it doesnt take long to work out which flights and routes are the fullest.

There are also some very cheap cities in which to ticket from (such as Singapore, Colombo etc).

If you can be flexible (or semi-flexible) with your dates of travel, the planning will pay off. Eighteen months ago, I never thought I would ever fly a middle eastern airline (after spending so much time on UA and QF).

But as you can tell, bang for your buck, they are the best solution for me.

Rik.wal, jbcarioca, OY-JFS and 10 others like this.
  2. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend recently was bumped from QF to EK when they had an irrop. In that instance skywards membership would give a double dip (EK credit plus original routing credit on oneworld).

jbcarioca and OY-JFS like this.
  3. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    @eightblack. Thank you for this nice post. I am debating on what could be a good program (most international travel is personal (USA to India)). Did join Skywards. Now, after reading your post, will seriously consider getting some status. Should not be terribly hard to do (for my travel patterns). !
    Thank you again.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy and I've lost count of the number of op-ups I got to the pointy end :)
    snod08 - if you connect through Dubai, I highly recommend trying Bateel dates.

jbcarioca and snod08 like this.
  5. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an op up to F on A380 the day before the FIFA World Cup started, many flights to DXB were jam packed that day.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok, deal. From around mid-2011, I am going to give EK a shot. Will try to see if i can status match before I start flying them regularly.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've heard they are giving people a boost to Silver ... but you'll reach Gold quickly with India as a destination :)

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes, it will not be too hard for me to get to Gold. But, these past couple months, I was debating if it was worth for me to choose another airline. Then I read eightblack's post in this thread.

Of course, there is no "perfect" airline. At least EK has several flight options to various cities in India. And around the world as well.

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. Tinkerer
    Original Member

Tinkerer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed. Truth be told, IME, EK's service (especially Europe-Dubai) suffered with their growing pains. But, EK still has a great staff and DXB is a good airport for connections. Once you have status, you have lounge access and if you don't and are flying Y and have a lengthy connection they will give you a voucher for a meal. There's plenty to browse in Duty Free too.

jbcarioca likes this.
  10. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Alright! I am excited for later this year! Will update in this thread. Also, nice to know about Lounge access with status.

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. pitmueller
    Original Member

pitmueller Silver Member

Status Points:
    I´ve just joined skywards after I have my quiet year with LH as a SEN.
    First flight already gives me silver as I´m travelling F to Asia, after a brief discussion with the local sales office I was offered Gold immediately if I buy a second Business class ticket

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great!

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Aside from upgrades, I have to say the Emirates lounge in Dubai is one of the nicest I have ever frequented.

Cheers,

jbcarioca likes this.
  14. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been in the business class lounge once. it sure beat the crap out of any lounge i have been in the USA. The food choices were really incredible! Thats when I realized the importance of being able to access nice lounges.

jbcarioca likes this.
  15. WearyBizTrvlr
    Original Member

WearyBizTrvlr Active Member

Status Points:
    My only recent experience with EK was an AMS-SYD roundtrip late last year in J. While the in-flight product was pretty good, I thought the lounges at DXB were appalling due to overcrowding. Both times I was there it was almost impossible to find a place to sit, the food and drinks counters were very crowded and there were even lines at the toilets, every one that I tried. It felt more like a huge departure terminal with free food and drink than a lounge. If anything it's the lounges at DXB that would make me think twice about flying EK again.

jbcarioca and ThatJohn like this.
  16. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    This sounds like the EK experiences from my friends. I'm wary to try them for just this reason.

jbcarioca likes this.
  17. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I can't disagree with you. And I'm not defending them. But you can be sure EK is doing something about it with their new terminal on the way.

I dislike the J lounge in DXB for the very reasons the above poster outlined...but thankfully I don't have to transit DXB too often.

jbcarioca and malik418 like this.
  18. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should also say that my recent (Dec 2010) flight AKL-MEL was deeply disappointing (I would link to the TR, but it's for a site I write for professionally and therefore I'm not sure that's kosher around here). The cabin crew were disinterested and lacked any sparkle, although the AKL lounge was fabulous for J. Free-flowing Moët FTW.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll give them a try next month ATH-DXB-SYD in F.
    That trip will get me 32k status miles and 43k RDMs.

jbcarioca and ThatJohn like this.
  20. ThatJohn
    Original Member

ThatJohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ah, yes, the magical Athenian Surprise. Good on you! Let us know how it goes!

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ca. €2.800 all in in F.
    A330 F to DXB should be rubbish but then we get the A380 Suites to SYD.
    The return is from MEL with 773 in Suites.

jbcarioca likes this.
  22. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some great premium EK fares from ATH.
    Based on the mileage I guess you are crediting to UA rather than EK? EK earns quite a bit more.

jbcarioca likes this.
  23. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think I'll credit to EK. Perhaps I'll give them a try to BKK in C too. That should push me to Gold. However I am not sure what the Gold benefits really are, except lounge access ?
    I have zero miles with UA, so that wouldn't help either.

jbcarioca likes this.
  24. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Very good premium fares can be found ex-Italy with EK as well- especially MXP and VCE- both of which are now operating also F class 7X (not every flight however at least daily frequency).

jbcarioca and kiwi like this.
  25. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll certainly give them a try in C too to Asia.
    That'll bring me to EK Gold...for whatever it's worth ?

jbcarioca likes this.