Why is this routing not valid?

Discussion in 'Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer' started by BOS Boy, Nov 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. BOS Boy

BOS Boy Active Member

Status Points:
    I am unable to book the following award using Krisflyer miles, and can't figure out what is wrong with the routing. It is supposed to be an Hawaii/Central America round trip with an origin open jaw and 2 stopovers

12/13 SJU -> EWR UA1740
    4/22 EWR -> HNL UA15
    5/6 HNL -> EWR UA14
    7/29 EWR -> BZE UA1657

First they tell me that I must return to SJU (only destination open jaw allowed). Then they tell me I have exceeded 25,000 miles?

Any ideas on how to make it valid?

2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    It could be true that an open jaw is allowed along the itinerary only as long as one returns to the departure city.

I am scheduled to do: JFK-SFO-NRT-SIN, then HKG-SFO-JFK (SIN-HKG is an open jaw but allowed since I'll wind up in the departure city)

Also, I think that there may be a problem with stopovers. You seem to have 3 of them since it appears that you'll spend more than 24h at EWR, HNL, and EWR.
    12/13 SJU -> EWR UA1740
    Stopover #1
    4/22 EWR -> HNL UA15
    Stopover #2
    5/6 HNL -> EWR UA14
    Stopover #3
    7/29 EWR -> BZE UA1657

You would have been fine if you just returned to EWR. The final EWR-BZE may be seen as a new trip...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  3. BOS Boy

BOS Boy Active Member

Status Points:
    I always thought that it should be seen as a roundtrip to Hawaii having 2 stopovers. According to the Krisflyer Programme Guide, one destination or origin open jaws are permitted per round trip for Star Alliance Awards (with exception of course)

SJU -> EWR Stopover #1 EWR -> HNL Destination
    HNL -> EWR Stopover #2 EWR -> BZE Origin Open Jaw

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Per Krisflyer *A award rules an origin open jaw is allowed.
    Note your stopovers (and also any transits under 4 hours) will be charged not complimentary because your award is for travel between Puerto Rico and USA.

My guess is the two stopovers in the same city causes them to interpret HNL as a side trip, which is not allowed. Try routing via somewhere else so that the two mainland USA stopovers are in different cities (or change one stopover to a transit).

5. BOS Boy

BOS Boy Active Member

Status Points:
    I spoke with a wonderful agent last night and finally had the issues with my itinerary explained to me.

1. BZE is west of EWR, therefore my going to EWR on the return is considered backtracking.
    2. For some reason, SJU is considered part of the US in their award chart, and not part of Hawaii/Central America/Caribbean.

Because of point #2, I decided to return to SJU instead of BZE, resulting in being charged 25k RT for economy instead of 35k (North America Round Trip instead of Hawaii/Central America Round Trip). I have no idea why I wasn't charged for North America to Hawaii (35k). The down-side is that I don't get the 1 free stopover and had to pay $200/ticket for 2 stopovers.

6. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not according to the Krisflyer *A award chart. It has Puerto Rico as part of Central America zone (not USA).

7. BOS Boy

BOS Boy Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree with you kiwi, but I'm not about to sit there and argue with them about what their computer is telling them. I know I can find a better redemption value using krisflyer miles than the $.01/point (10,000 points for $100) I would get from them if I did successfully win the argument.

8. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    The stopovers would have been charged anyway because of the specific rule for Puerto Rico and USA. So it is a straight error in your favour.