Why is there no non-spicy vegetarian choice on UA?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, Mar 26, 2018.

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    My wife doesn't like meat, especially the way it is prepared on UA, so would like to select a "vegetarian" special meal. Unfortunately, both of the main vegetarian choices are Indian-style, spicy which she also doesn't want. Does anyone know why UA doesn't offer meals that simply have no meat?

365RoadWarrior likes this.
  2. 365RoadWarrior

365RoadWarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    That would suggest offering more than one vegetarian meal type. I suppose I can fantasize about such a thing. I'm not fond of the Indian-ish food choice, but it probably has some appeal to one of the world's largest culturally vegetarian groups. Add in the fact that most vegetarians I know (I've been vegan 40 years) would eat Indian food two meals a day if they could... Finally, while high in fat, Indian meals tend to be more nutritionally balanced than a lot of alternatives: cheese sandwich or "Chinese"-style or pizza.

Note: the spicy Indian veg meal is common across virtually all of the hundred or so carriers I have flown.

All this said, the vegetarian/vegan thing has been quite a fad lately. Perhaps a second choice will emerge. Hopefully it will last longer than most vegans: a week.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there a vegan meal available?

4. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is the complete set of offerings. Yes, there is vegan, but my wife is not "strict" so would like some of the food types are are not allowed in a vegan diet.

Asian vegetarian
    This is a non-strict vegetarian meal that is prepared in an Indian style and may be spicy. This meal is free of meat, poultry, fish and shellfish, and may include dairy products.

Hindu (Indian) vegetarian
    Hindu (Indian) meals follow vegetarian guidelines by excluding all meat and seafood, and are spicy in content.

Special note: Hindu (Indian) vegetarian meals are offered as a standard choice on flights to and from India; therefore, it is not necessary to place a special vegetarian meal request for these flights.

Vegan (strict) vegetarian
    Vegan meals are available for those customers who exclude from their diets all foods derived from animals, including meat, poultry, fish, shellfish, honey, eggs and dairy products and their byproducts.

Vegetarian lacto-ovo
    Vegetarian meals that include dairy, honey and eggs are now available for vegetarian customers. This meal does not include meat, poultry, fish and shellfish.

Vegetarian lacto-ovo meals are currently available in premium cabins only.

Child
    This meal is available for children ages 2-12, and includes food offerings that appeal to children. The meals planned for United follow Recommended Dietary Allowances for children.

Gluten-intolerant
    This meal is available for customers who are gluten-intolerant, and does not contain wheat, barley, rye or oats.

Jain
    Jain meals are prepared in Indian style and according to Jain customs that prohibit the consumption of animal products and root vegetables.

Jain meals are available only on flights to and from India.

Japanese
    Traditional multi-course Japanese meals, served with steamed rice and Japanese tea, are available for pre-order by customers confirmed in United Polaris® first class or United Polaris business class on flights between the continental U.S. or Hawaii and Japan.

Kosher
    Kosher meals are prepared by Kosher caterers under strict Rabbinical supervision and may also incorporate fresh fruit or sealed items, such as individually packaged bagels that meet Kosher laws. Special Kosher for Passover meals are supplied during Passover.

All Kosher meals provided for flights departing the U.S., and flights departing Tel Aviv, Israel, are Glatt Kosher.

Muslim
    These meals exclude all products derived from pigs, such as pork, ham and bacon, and alcohol is not used for preparation. All meat products are prepared in accordance with the Halal method.

tommy777 likes this.
  5. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    So basically you are asking for a custom catered meal?

They offer a veg option that may not br spicy (vegan) and another in premium cabin.

If your wife requires that level of control over food offerings, it's probably best to self cater.

6. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mattsteg says:
    If your wife requires that level of control over food offerings, it's probably best to self cater.​

You miss the point. It's not what my wife wants. The standard choices have TWO spicy vegetarian "Asian Vegetarian" and "Hindu Vegetarian". I have not idea about the spicyness of the other vegetarian options such as "Vegan". Does anyone know if it is "spicy" as well? Shouldn't there be something that is "standard vegetarian non-spicy"?

7. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    vegan vegetarian, as well as lacto-ovo are vegetarian and bland as hell ! Hindu Vegetarian is the only one that would be mildly spicy (not hot as in Scoville scale hot)

William JLP and trobb49 like this.
  8. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    As mentioned, vegan is vegetarian and not spicy. Even the "spicy" food is not really spicy. UA just further restricts the contents to make it suitable for a wider range of customers.

MildSoft05 and anileze like this.
  9. vsevolod4

vsevolod4 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sadly, it seems everything has gone in the vegetablist direction. I'd like an option that is meat. Normal food. I'm a "meatatarian." I can't request meat!
    On UA in Y on TATL and TPAC flights, the options were:
    - chicken
    - pasta, or
    - vegetarian.
    The pasta had no meat in it, so that's vegetarian.
    Chicken is a vegetable, plus it was prepared in some hideous South Asian curry paste.
    So there you have it ... 3 vegetarian dishes.

What has the world come to?

notbgates and tomnativenewyorker like this.
  10. rebbaj

rebbaj Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two points:

1. The Asian vegetarian meal is barely spicier than a korma and unless someone has an allergy to any of the spices should suit almost all tastes.
    2. Vesevolod4 please don't insult vegetarians by even joking that "chicken is a vegetable". The pasta option may not even be vegetarian if it includes certain types of cheese.

11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know some "vegetarians" who consider fish to be just a fast-moving vegetable.

Each to his own taste, I guess.

12. u600213
    Original Member

u600213 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Bring your own condiments. I have little packets of red pepper flakes, individual servings of Sriracha, ketchup and mustard and whatever else comes along and fits in my 1 quart clear bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using InsideFlyer mobile app

13. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    So what else is possible besides "spicy vegetarian" and "bland as hell" vegetarian? "Oriental Vegetarian"! That's what I ordered on an EVA flight from TPE to KIX, and I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars. United, Listen up!! (Note that this was on a plane with "Hello Kitty" livery on the outside, and virtually everything on the inside themed "Hello Kitty" -- even the barf bags. :))

OrientalVegetarian_on_BR.jpg

Last edited: May 6, 2018
    tommy777 and Dublin_rfk like this.
  14. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now let's get real,:D it's not exactly a level playing field:oops: when comparing foreign carrier meals to US domestic carriers.

15. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh, sorry. I must have been misled. I thought that United was an "international carrier".

16. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is a very distinct difference between an airline that flies +90% international and one that is @30% international.
    Also with a 10th the number of airplanes it is much easier to provide a more consistent product.
    That said the meals could be better.

17. MildSoft05

MildSoft05 Active Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I heard about that the food is not that spicy.

18. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    What difference does it make if it’s domestic or international when it comes to catering? The flight that’s mentioned above is on a narrow body and is 3 hours. I took an A321 from Okinawa to Taipei a couple of months ago and it took a little more than an hour. I got a full meal in coach. And there’s a lot of competition from LCCs. United doesn’t offer catering on domestic flights in economy (or on flights under 4hours in the “premium”cabin, so the catering options for international

Also, the size of the company shouldn’t matter either. The catering companies that deliver food to airlines are the same regardless of size. United could have Do&Co cater their flights if they wanted to, but they chose not to because they prioritize their shareholders over their customers.

Domestic US is the absolute shame of the business and the offerings are pathetic because of lack of competition and because the big guys just don’t have to deliver anything because they have agreed that delivering good catering is not something that customers want. Right

19. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? Asian vegetarian that "may be spicy" vs. "Oriental Vegetarian"? Talk about splitting hairs.