Why is MP so dead?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by fulthrust7, May 8, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. fulthrust7

fulthrust7 Member

Status Points:
    So I just joined MP this week and feel that things don't move around here? In some ways, it's nice in the sense that there isn't a whole lot of catching up to do when you visit back. But, in other ways, it's a bit boring at times....I guess I am used to FT pace, which is perhaps too fast for my own good. Just a food for thought.

8MiHi and traveltoomuch like this.
  2. pointsbuzz

pointsbuzz Member

Status Points:
    I find that all the big news still reaches here, only without the additional noise that FT has.

3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I feel like it ebbs and flows. Certainly slower than FT but when big things are happening it tends to move fast. I found this to be a great place to ask questions when I first joined and people really take the time to thoughtfully answer.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT is a great place, moves fast, lot of BS, many of us are there also.

What bring you here?

I see less nuts, hear less lies. And spend less time finding out what's happening,

If you want to hear about every whining little thing FT is a great place, if you want to ask a question, you can get an answer here, much faster....if you are really interested in the answer...

Like I said FT is a great place to lie to each other...and BS.

There are some nice guys over there, I check it out every few days...

Welcome from the new home of the Colts, change us good...

5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is a good description.

Could not agree more. Here, most of the time, the responses in a thread relates to the OP question and even when they do not, they still (most of the time) helps at context to the topic in discussion.

I have visited FT (usually through references links here and there) and I find that the OP questions sometimes get lost in the many pages that quickly adds up and a lot of posts are verbal sparring between posters.

Counsellor, SomeDay, 8MiHi and 4 others like this.
  6. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    The OP brings up an excellent and troubling point. I mentioned it months ago and decided not to say it again but it remains true. FT is a wealth of info. MP has MUCH less, tho I do know that if I have a question, very often someone knowledgable will answer and be extremely helpful. It is a much friendlier community. Very often, it can be one of the better known bloggers. But I am definitely troubled that the new posts can be few and far between and that there is, obviously, very little historical info worth searching for.

In the end, it's up to all of us to make this community what we want it to be. How much do YOU share? Do you consider yourself a drop-in consumer or a stakeholder in this project? MP is still a relative baby and it will be whatever we make it.

7. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree. If there is something I want to read a lot about (and have the time) especially in the area of MS I usually google "Flyertalk X" and I will find a thread where there are tons of pages about exactly what I was thinking about researching. FT is a great tool but I don't really post there or frequent the website other than what I mentioned.

Like you, I am sometimes disappointed with the level of activity here though. I actually every couple days or a week tend to post a question just to try to get people going and start conversation like "What is the best buisness class cabin to Europe?" or something like that. Doesn't usually work though haha

kenbo, SomeDay and WilliamQ like this.
  8. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Activity is less,

A chicken with it's head in the sand is sure active, but going no where.

Depends on what you are looking for, and this is an ever changing thing.

Nice to have more than one place to go,

I visit both sites, and have attended both FTU, They are different.i can find information here faster, and it is more accurate., yet it does depend on who is posting.

I vote Independent,

SomeDay, gaijin62 and WilliamQ like this.
  9. BWIflyer
    Original Member

BWIflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am not signed up there but read it from time to time. If I have a question, I ask here and always get a satisfactory answer. This is a great place to be.

Counsellor, SomeDay, 8MiHi and 2 others like this.
  10. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quality not quantity ;)

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The big news makes it onto the evening "news" here (*cough* stowaway pax in wheel well *cough*).

It's the little subtle hidden bits of info that really impact my travel experience one way or another that I really care about, and that's often not found here (unless it's hidden in those mega chatroom-style threads that have no real topic; I don't read those).

Take away all those threads where the first post is basically a clipping from some vaguely-travel-related article on some news site and and what do you really have left in terms on new threads?

True, true, and I admit I have pretty much turned from a fairly active contributor (> 10,000 posts, 184 threads started) to a mostly passive drop-in lurker these days.

kenbo, About Again, SomeDay and 3 others like this.
  12. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like many others I check in now and then. Sometimes I find nothing worth commenting on. Other times I post 3 or 4 times. I'm happy to answer people when I catch a post having to do with something I know about, but there aren't too many of those. Yes, sometimes I post not very high quality stuff but I try to keep those to a relatively small number. I just wish I could travel more so I could learn more so I can comment more! But it's a really depressing year -- no travel yet and I'm going through serious withdrawal. It's heartbreaking really! (I often travel on my own dime but just can't plan ahead this year due to family health issues.)

13. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much nothing.

I spend time here because of the social threads, not because there is a compelling body of content otherwise. And the content isn't really growing all that well either.

Flyer1976, SomeDay and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I echo Seth, but not just for the social threads. I find the information here is well thought out and delivered as if the MPers were sharing experiences with or advising a family member. Not just answers, but advice from others who care. FT looks intimidating to me, possibly because I don't find it visually appealing.

15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a matter of numbers. FT simply has more people over there than MP does. The trade off is the BS and nastiness that FT has.

Counsellor, vickers, SomeDay and 5 others like this.
  16. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You lie......

Ever visit a contractor site and tell them you are a DIY GUY,

Talk about rude and crude....

Contractor talk.com, Can not believe the way they cut the guys down, glad
    I have a trade.

SomeDay and uggboy like this.
  17. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    I used to spend a lot of time on FT. I got a lot of valuable info there, but at the same time had to deal with bunch of obnoxious people that probably thought that everyone should know answers to some questions at birth. And god forbid you ask a question in a thread that has about 100 pages about something that was answered on the page 24. Agree, it's slower here, sometimes too slow. But when you ask a question most of the time you get an adequate answer. I think implementation of the "likes" and "status" model really helped eliminate much of the nastiness you'd get on TOBB.

18. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    When I saw this topic header in the new threads sidebar, without the context of which forum it was in, I expanded "MP" to "Mileage Plus". I was looking forward to the mocking of UA. Ah, well.

I agree that things are slow here, and I'd even say they are too slow - if you're asking about something with a clear answer, that answer will likely appear, but if you're looking for opinions and analysis, the number of meaningful replies can be a bit thin.

19. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:

So the real key is what to do to grow that. I like to think my deals post are helpful to people, maybe if everyone who wanted something tried to post about it we would see more action. Or respond to posts they find useful?

20. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That would certainly help.

SomeDay, Muerl and uggboy like this.
  21. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that had much to do with it. A little, perhaps, but not much. I think it's more about numbers than anything. If FT had a "dislike" function, maybe that would do something. :) Or maybe not.

SomeDay and foxberg like this.
  22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have had Gold status for ages. Not sure that it makes any difference. Likes aren't bad, but I agree that it's all about the numbers. They determine the amount of content as well as the atmosphere. If everyone from FT had moved over to MP, it would have been the same place with a different skin.

SomeDay and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think some want to be disliked by others. :oops:

24. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's an easy example. I started a thread, so far it has 62 views - 0 replies (and "likes", not begging but come on, it actually has some valuable info). The same thread on FT has a few pages already.

Counsellor and SomeDay like this.
  25. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    FT may not have a "dislike" button but if you've been around as long as I have, you clearly know when your comment is disliked! Most of us are here for the freshness of the site and the friendliness of the members. Heck, there's a poster here named Kalboz who I've never met but who has not only made a big difference in my life, but who I can't wait to finally meet! Sounds strange, but I consider him a good friend! That's community at its best.

I'm enjoying this thread but will be even happier if all of us continue to share. No one will cut your legs off if it's something most already know, but you never know where a conversation can lead!