Why is Maui's Airport OGG?

Discussion in 'HNL/KOA/OGG/LIH/MKK/LNY | Hawaii Regional Airports' started by HiIslands, Sep 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's named after pioneering Hawaiian Airlines pilot Jimmy Hogg, who became a captain for Hawaiian in 1937 and flew the airline's first trans-Pacific flight. Hogg made the first commercial flight after the attack on Pearl Harbor, coming under ground fire on the neighbor islands from those mistaking his plane for an enemy aircraft. When the FAA was designating an airport code for Kahalui, they asked him if it should be HOG or OGG. The choice OGG was his.

An interesting video on Jimmy Hogg is available here:

A wall depicting Cpt. Jimmy Hogg's history is in the Kahalui Maui airport. More information about him and the memorial wall can be found here:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/2014/09/new-memorial-wall-explains-why-mauis-kahului.html

2. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the interesting bit of history! I'll be thinking of that when I fly into OGG this winter.

satman40 likes this.
  3. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    HOG, not a good name for an airport..

Oh Great God. just get us on the ground...

I could see that being shot at, many pilots sing religious songs when times are troubled...:D

anileze likes this.
  4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought it was short for oh goody goody, as that is what my wife is thinking upon arrival.