Why is it so felonious to like AC's product?

Discussion in 'Air Canada | Aeroplan' started by redtailshark, Apr 16, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello AC members, I've come to stir the hornets over here.... really, I like AC product (not Rouge, can't speak for that but it sounds bad). I like the mainline hard product. The OPULENT Y cabin of the 333 and the spacious herringbone J config on the 773 are best in class without the JeffRobbo-style stars. I like the food too, and the classic Avant-garde Canadian IFE featuring Cronenburg's insanity and classic musica canada like Alanis... I understand AC AP members may have other beefs but in terms of the actual product I think AC is the best of the gringo airlines. Another reason we need OPEN SKIES here so AC can keep the DelAAUniHound cartel more honest.

YULtide, The Lev, iolaire and 3 others like this.
  2. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its not "felonious" at all. I have been an unreserved supporter of AC over the years. Some of the people who post on these boards liked the freebies they used to get along with the ability to work the system for fare inefficiencies, etc. The economy has changed and management has gotten smarter with newer software tools to ensure revenue leakage is reduced to almost zero as a goal.
    AC has thrived as never before so I think they have done the right things for their shareholders and I dare say for their best customers. Fares are higher but that is a function of the market place not AC acting alone.

By being a smarter consumer one can still get bargains when flying but that limits the potential for upgrades and other perks from the FF program. All as it should be in any normal business model.

I can fly to Asia, as a FF there, in paid J cheaper than the same fares several years ago by using pass products that are offered as an example. I get full FF miles with AE and the costs of using points for top tier customers has just come way down. When these programs were first developed fuel was cheap and there were no airport taxes to consider. That has changed a lot.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    milchap and YULtide like this.
  3. yyznomad

yyznomad Active Member

Status Points:
    Do you work for AC? :D

Well... hey, they did win SkyTrax best international NA airline... so I guess your comments aren't too far fetched :)

4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why the handwaving dismissal of one FF plans flaws, while simultaneously reminding of anothers best in class status? That seems much more felonious than liking (either) product independent of FF scheme.

redtailshark likes this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because I feel that way. Because this is a place for discussion and airing of views on airline programs, products, experiences. But maybe I wasn't clear enough above. I'm not lauding AC AP, I'm not even a member, but I know they surcharge the heck out of many Star redemptions. But I like the AC hard product which I've experienced on a number of occasions. RGN and all that :) Meanwhile, DL SM sucks rocks, that's well known. DL SM is worthless, to me, in that it cannot incentivize me to purchase DL itins over any other competing carrier except perhaps Condor. AC >> DL. IMO.

6. LittleYHZ

LittleYHZ Member

Status Points:
    As a proud Canadian I will tell you, its because we love to complain. Its part of our national culture. We don't like Air Canada, Bell, Telus, etc, etc. etc. Lets not kid ourselves the MLL is better than the SilverKris Lounge hands down (Changi, KUL, and HKG) but it can't actually be better because its Air Canada. But the reality is it has better food options, more salads, and in all cases actual washrooms. The drink selection is larger, and the wine choices are better.

Now I know thats not a popular reality, but it is a fact. United V Air Canada - Air Canada any day (as long as its not rouge - I agree with Kevin O'Leary Rouge shortens your life) - Air Canada V Westjet - Air Canada is nicer, and doesn't have Westjet's customers - who are annoying to have to deal with when boarding. So again to Air Canada. V the Southwest Texas Scramble? You bet AC. Domestic AC VS BA in Europe (domestic I guess you might call it) AC again.

The only airline I have actually flown that I would actually say is better than Air Canada is Cathay Pacific. Air China, China Souther, Sichuan, Malaysia, Jetstar (a number of iterations), Air Asia, Copa, Southwest, United, Us Air, American, Westjet, Porter (is better when they're not late), British Airways, Lufthansa, TAME, TACA, ANA (787), China Eastern, Shanghai Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SAS and a few others are at best exactly the same, or inferior in some cases greatly. Amongst defunct Airlines Canadian Airlines was superior, and was arguably better than all of the above.

Anyway if the OP thought they were going to take heat for their opinion on this subject, mine will likely get me chewed out.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.
  7. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    Felonious: adjective
    Law. pertaining to, of the nature of, or involving a felony :
    felonious homicide; felonious intent.
    wicked; base; villainous.

On that basis I don't think it is so felonious.

Usually given an alternative, I'll choose AC. Once I hit SE with 95 segments, I'll start to fly Delta where I'm silver. In North America their lounges are ok and their product isn't much different.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  8. LittleYHZ

LittleYHZ Member

Status Points:
    What are delta lounges like? do they improve upon the United Cheese sticks? Are they on par with the MLL or slightly below? US Air lounges used to be slightly below, as was the AA admirals club.

9. slalom

slalom Silver Member

Status Points:
    In LGA, the Delta Lounge is far superior to the MLL. The one in Detroit is pretty good too. In addition to the normal snacks, last time I was there, they had some soup, fresh veggies, etc.

The ones I've been to are as good as any in North America, and you can access with an Amex Platinum and a Delta ticket.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  10. En-Route
    Original Member

En-Route Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are 200,000+ miles for 2015. Is it possible you work for Air Canada? Hint hint

I am more than OK with Air Canada. Londoncalling and Little YHZ summarize well.

11. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nomad live the high life. A yorkville condo in Toronto. Women and men at his beckon call!! :)

12. tomh009
    Original Member

tomh009 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would argue that the flights in Rouge (in the back of the plane) actually feel much longer, so it actually lengthens your life ...:D

YULtide likes this.
  13. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    "BI and BI" it appears he lives quite the eclectic lifestyle.:p:cool:

ACMM likes this.
  14. mevlannen
    Original Member

mevlannen Silver Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada offers services, not products. I don't get to take the aircraft home at the end of the journey (not that I would want to, given the parlous state of cleanliness which afflicts us so sorely).

That grumpy maundering of mine aside, my experience of riding on Air Canada aircraft is generally pleasant enough. It certainly beats riding a clapped-out ex-military helicopter from Wakkanai (Hokkaido Island) to Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk (Sakhalin Island), where one looks over nervously at the oil drips coming down the walls, and wonders when the overhead gearboxes will finally seize up from lack of maintenence.

Seriously, though, I choose to travel via Air Canada because of their safety culture. Everything else is bread and circuses.

londoncalling and YULtide like this.