Why is Hyatt/Goldpassport different than other programs?

Discussion in 'Hyatt | Gold Passport' started by LIH Prem, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    For me, it boils down to exceptional service and consistency. With GP, it seems like they will always try really hard to find a way to do whatever it is you want to do. For example, they go out of their way to allow us to choose one earning method for a promo and even thought the T&Cs might say you can't switch once you made your choice, GP frequently allows us to switch methods in the middle of the promo. Another example are during FFN promos, Hyatt/GP frequently gives it's top tier members extensions on the use of the free nights. And that's just the beginning of the list. It just always seems to me that Hyatt/GP will go out of their way to find a way to please their elite members.

We all know the rest, great promos (when they have them), some great properties in world class locations, however, unfortunately, Hyatt is nowhere near as big as Hilton or Marriott so they don't have locations everywhere in the world. Still, lately, for me, Hyatt is my go to program, but I try to maintain top tier status in two programs.

What do you think? What does Hyatt/GP do that adds value more so than any other program?

-David

2. GUWonder
    Original Member

GUWonder Silver Member

Status Points:
    Amongst the larger US-based chains, Hyatt GP -- at least on the phone -- is more likely to respond to customers as individuals rather than as if customers are pegs that must be forced into a pre-assigned hole as dictated by corporate policy.

Hyatt is also the least likely of the majors to disappoint me when I raise to their attention either a service failure or a failure to live up to expectations.

3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I forgot to include this, and I can't edit the OP:

On the last couple of years, I have noticed a big push towards consistency at the Hyatt brand. I am always greeted warmly upon arrival, my status is acknowledged, bonuses are offered without my asking for them, all elite privileges are offered, late checkout is offered, and so on. These are relatively small things that a chain like Hyatt can do, but they make me feel welcome and appreciated. And you would think this is standard at all programs, but it isn't. Not all of them are able to be consistent for some odd reason, but I think Hyatt/GP does a great job of it.

-David

4. LFCorsten
    Original Member

LFCorsten Silver Member

Status Points:
    absolutely right. Hyatt improved the consistency worldwide and improved the benefits.

5. sophiegirl
    Original Member

sophiegirl Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although I would include all previous points mentioned, (see my previous thread in this forum) I would add this:
    Hyatt gives me the opportunity to use my points/status in ways that I value most - ie, free breakfast at all hotels, all the time, including resorts; and guaranteed suite upgrades (4).

The free breakfast bennie is great when I am traveling for leisure with my family - love having a great brekkie on the deck at Key West, but can't pay those prices everyday of our stay!. Same with the suite upgrades, when traveling with friends, it is nice to know I am guaranteed the space needed to relax and hang out - without everyone camped out on a bed and a desk chair!

Because of the (lack of) Hyatt locations, it is more difficult for me to attain Diamond than it is for me to reach Plat at Marriott. And yet I really work hard to do so - the service and quality of stays I receive is worth the effort and $$$ it takes to do so.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Consistency of benefits applied. While I do have some problems getting points to post correctly, my PLC makes sure all that gets worked out. I don't get charged for internet. I get free breakfast without an argument when there's no lounge. And, they do their best to upgrade me sometimes even when I'm not supposed to be upgraded. Finally, the lifetime benefit is something that's very appealing to me.

For me, my Hyatt choice is more a matter of shortcomings by others. While there are more SPG properties overall, the benefits are not consistently applied. And, there are a number of very tired properties in the US. Hyatt delivers what they promise.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hyatt matched SPG/HIlton on redemption availability.

They've had the best promos... for the most part... just not right now...

They jumped out of the gate with free internet for ALL elites.

And suite upgrades are all about giving members the benefit they want the most, when they most want them. You get to pick. That's pretty awesome. Remember that the Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum, and Hilton Diamond don't even include suite upgrades as a part of the program (getting suites is by luck, not even by right, even on an as-available basis).

Not to mention the private line concierges.

Sure, we can talk about being treated as people and whatnot. For me it's about the formal benefits [​IMG]

8. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    There is definite variation in how much some GM's "go along with the program," particularly in their treatment of elite members. This gets clearly and rapidly reflected in the attitude of the hotel staff. In my experience, the GM at the GH Kaua'i totally gets it and hence, so does his staff. On the other hand, the GM at the Andaz Fifth Avenue NYC treats elites more as an annoyance forced on him by corporate, and that shows everywhere as well.

9. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hyatt seems to go above and beyond with any request that I have made. Enjoy the Gx bonuses, and the four suite upgrades are something that I never got my Marriott. In fact, as a Marriott Gold, I was never given an upgraded room. Just internet and free breakfast when the lounge was closed :eek:

Looking forward to another great year as a Diamond. My suite upgrade gave me the second best room at the HR in Mainz. I payed a very small amount for the regular room that I had reserved. Looking online, the suite is over 1000US.. Not bad ^

10. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is part of it. Anytime I call the Diamond line, they really seem to care and be trying to handle what I need. And on the occasion that they just can't do what I'm asking, they sound really apologetic.

The other piece of it is that I feel like I get more consistently good and personal service up and down the Hyatt brand family than I do from other options. Anyone can have great service at their luxury brands, but Hyatt delivers it across all of their hotels even down to the Hyatt Place (though, admittedly, it has taken some time to get people brought over from Amerisuites up to speed).

11. peteropny
    Original Member

peteropny Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    While I'm definitely a Hyatt fan - their phone customer service agents aren't very well trained and occasionally will give you an "answer" that is incorrect - this is something that I've been pushing with GP executives for the past 2 years or so. However, the agents can never be faulted for not being friendly.

12. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I do value Starwood's potential suite upgrades on award stays (and have had some fantastic experiences with it - especially in Europe), what I love about Hyatt is that you KNOW what you're going to get and you always get it. I wouldn't pay for the suite - but I WOULD pay for breakfast and the internet and getting it comped is wonderful and, depending on the hotel, can save quite a bit of money. At the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, breakfasts went for 48 Euro per person. We had a late and wonderful breakfast and an early dinner.

LIH Prem likes this.
  13. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not to bad mouth Starwood (I'm also Starwood Platinum) but my usual saying is that Hyatt usually under promises and over delivers in terms of what is given (I've gotten some very nice unexpected upgrades with Hyatt including a suite at PH Vendome during sold out nights on a points stay) while Starwood often over promises and under delivers (getting a property at least domestically to honor the Platinum suite upgrade can be next to impossible at certain properties - seems like International properties are better at this - last year got a very nice suite at Grande Bretagne in Athens).

I find the free breakfast benefit (either in the lounge if one exists or in the restaurant) a great benefit (even with small charges for overages / tips) for the convenience factor - I really don't want to spend $20-30 for a hotel breakfast but with "most" of it covered ($5-10 net charge maximum), having it in the hotel is really convenient.

bbbb likes this.
  14. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like the Faster Free Nights promos. I amhoping we see at least one promo this year. The net access, free breakfast, and room upgrades are nice as well.

15. Toula
    Original Member

Toula Gold Member

Status Points:
    We are purely self funded travellers. We do not travel enough to qualify for top level on any program.

The reason the Hyatt program works well for us is as platinums they give free internet. Also when we do stay with Hyatt, the majority of the time the hotels we stay in are above what the competition offers.

16. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt people are exceptional! That matched with Gold Passport which has beefed up benefits over the past couple of years, and now the Hyatt Chase CC add up to the #1 program going. I've been a loyal SPGer for years and still maintain my Plat status. But consistently its Hyatt's people: Front desk, 800# customer service, valets, everyone who have won me over. They have really put the entire package together. I truely hope they can hold it together.

17. Windward Side of Life

Windward Side of Life Active Member

Status Points:
    Like many others here almost all of my travel is self-funded. I am a GP diamond, but I consider myself a low-grade diamond: I don't often stay at the high-end properties (regrettably) and I shop AAA rates, use(d) costco certs, etc. While I've never stayed at a Hyatt Place I've also never stayed at a Park Hyatt...at least not yet.

What I have come to really like about Hyatt GP is the consistency with which a high level of service is provided to elites in a manner that is not begruding. Case in point: we took our daughter to Disneyland last fall for a very special birthday trip. She wanted to bring along a couple of cousins so all together there were 7 of us. I had made reservations - AAA rates under $100/nite - for a nite at the Palm Springs Suites and two nites at Anaheim. I called the front desk at each hotel and informed them of my reservation, mentioned that there would be, gasp, 7 of us and asked if I utilized one of my diamond confirmed suite upgrades could we get a suite that would accommodate us all? Both hotels instantly pre-blocked 2-bedroom suites for us and refused to take the confirmed upgrades from me. Then once there they both tried to give me 7 breakfast vouchers for each day. That in addition to all the usual diamond ammenities and G bonuses. While I occasionally have a stay that I would classify as average or poor, and I do mean occasionally, the VAST majority of my stays are very good to exceptional, even if they are not always in a physically exceptional property. Those stays were very typical of my experience this past year.

Great promos? Heck yeah. Excellent progam benefits promised? Most definitely. But excellent attention and service consistently given in a willing and cheerful manner is what has really sold me on the program. In the end, it's the actual product that the program is enhancing that seals the deal for me. Those FFN's and buckets of points lose a lot of their luster if I have to use them at a place that makes a stink about giving me club access or a free breakfast to boot.

I was a SPG diehard for years, and still love a bunch of their properties. I just don't see them much anymore.

18. leeivan86
    Original Member

leeivan86 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It has some of the best promos ever and in general excellent customer service across the brand as a whole. The elite benefits are one of the best too imo.

On a side note, I just noticed that the Hyatt forum here has the most activity in comparison to the other hotel programs. So this says a lot about it too.

19. peteropny
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well like someone said elsewhere - it's like a High School reunion over here [​IMG] Wonder why?? [​IMG]

20. endodoc79
    Original Member

endodoc79 Silver Member

Status Points:
    It all boils down to training and the Hyatt staff have the best in the industry for a large chain. They make you feel special.

YULtide and Wanaflyforless like this.
  21. Coathanger
    Original Member

Coathanger Silver Member

Status Points:
    Years ago when I first heard 'Feel the Hyatt Touch' I dismissed it as a marketing line but with several years experience with Hyatt hotels around the world I've found it to actually be true.

The key tangibles are consistent benefits of breakfast, internet and confirmed Diamond suite upgrades. Diamond amenity is more hit and miss, and definitely an area for improvement. But it's things like the recognition of status at check-in or a willingness of staff to go above and beyond when dealing with the contact centers that keeps Hyatt ahead of the rest.

With suite upgrades expiring soon I've been proactively asked if I wanted to apply one of them to a reservation I was making over the phone. Now that's service!

Kaanapali likes this.
  22. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I agree Diamond amenity consistency is a misnomer, I have almost always taken the points. I find accumulation of Hyatt GP points to be borderline addictive - or maybe its staying at GH Kauai that I find addictive!!

While knowledge of some of the call center representatives is a bit uneven, I have found that all do try genuinely to help and that goes a long way. The willingness to add promo codes to exisiting or just completed reservations is something not many (if any) other programs do for their best customers. It just seems that Hyatt wants to keep their Diamonds happy...and coming back.

23. yyzgigi
    Original Member

yyzgigi Active Member

Status Points:
    For me the Diamond treatment puts them apart. At the Hilton as a Diamond you have to decide between bonus points and the lounge/continental breakfast and takes for ever to earn enough points for a top property. With Hyatt I know I've got free Internet, a full breakfast, an amenity option and a pretty consistent experience and usually a room upgrade.

Kaanapali likes this.
  24. mmgm

mmgm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe Hyatt is the only hotel program that has a lifetime benefit- Lifetime Diamond.

25. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think at least one other hotel program also offers a lifetime benefit, as I know Marriott offers lifetime status at one or two levels based on stays and years (not sure if there is a monetary compenent to that). But I agree it is nice that Hyatt offers a top tier lifetime benefit.