Why is DEN-KOA Business Cabin Always Sold Out?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Jun 3, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Once a week flight, I have booked it two or three times in the past couple months and can never get an upgrade even using certs. That cabin always seems sold full way in advance. Is there some cheap fare I don't know about?

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The next DEN-KOA is tomorrow, Saturday. Only 11 of 16 seats were revenue sales. The other 5 were upgrades.

3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah I saw that, and I am numero uno on the list, I just never seem to make that upgrade.

4. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even DEN-HNL flights are far from guaranteed upgrades these days. Back when I was a 1K with an RPU/GPU applied I missed several of those flights in each direction. Don't remember the last time I got a CPU on a to/from Hawaii flight that didn't involve the west coast.

Bottom line is that they're selling the seats for often ~ 2x the Y fare. Which is more than I'd pay, but not more than some would (especially if it's a special occasion, etc.).

Garp74 likes this.
  5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    32 F seats for today's DEN-HNL. 8 were upgrades.

FortFun likes this.
  6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Made the upgrade. Due to a mechanical, they had to swap in a standard configuration 753 for the int'l 752 (lie flats) so that opened up 8 more seats in business. I gotta say, if I was one of the revenue folks that paid for a lie flat and got the standard ghetto bird F seats, I wouldn't have been happy. In fact I submitted my cert in hopes of getting a lie flat, I wonder if Mileage Plus would refund that cert?

Garp74 likes this.
  7. FortFun
    Original Member

FortFun Gold Member

Status Points:
    Can happen, of course. But very much not reasonable to expect it these days, at least based on my small sample of ~3-4 annual round trips.

Garp74 likes this.
  8. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    DEN-OGG on the 752 w/lie-flats is typically sold out way in advance as well. So difficult to get an upgrade on!