Why is AA removing YQ/YR on some fares/routes?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by Wandering Aramean, May 25, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The past couple days saw a bunch of sale opportunities where the base fare was low and there was no YQ/YR being added to the fare. That appears to be done now but the resolution implemented by AA seems to be that they've simply jacked up the base fare to include the surcharge rather than properly charging it split out. This is only in some markets on some fare classes and not even 100% consistent in that regard (BWI-HEL charges the YR separately westbound but not eastbound).

[​IMG]

Anyone have any idea what's going on here??

2. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't know, but it still amazes me when such things keep happening. I mean, how hard is it to double-check the fares you loaded to make sure they're right? Maybe not all, but I've got to think it wouldn't have been hard to build a safety check for what happened yesterday. Maybe the number of tickets sold without YQ is cheaper than the monitoring?

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    For most of the still available FD tactics I can certainly believe this. But there are other types of things, such as this self-dump from the past couple days, where the costs are likely much higher.

I actually think this would be an interesting topic to try to get a comment from the company on. They wouldn't be splitting out the YQ/YR if they didn't make more money that way. But now they're putting it back in. .In theory the reason to do so is because they've taken a hit on sales from too many "sales" which didn't include the extra cash. I wonder if it is material one way or the other on their numbers.

4. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've got to imagine this costs much more than the labor to double-check the computer is loading the fares correctly. And yet, the airlines keep doing it. Not that I'm complaining.

Well, I guess I can complain because I missed capitalizing on this specific mistake. :D

IDGflygirl and Wandering Aramean like this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll make sure to have a schnitzel for you in Austria. :p :D

timfrost and IDGflygirl like this.
  6. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I don't even understand the first question. Why charge the YQ/YR independently of the base fare in the first place?

Is it easier to adjust the YQ/YR than the base? Is there some sales pipeline through which base fares are compared without the YR/YQ so that the airline can seem cost-advantaged if it breaks the fee out? Is there a corporate contract rationale (maybe the rebate for some contracts is on fare only and not YR/YQ)? Is there a regulatory reason?

Since I've never understood where the advantage to the airlines in this set-up is, it's hard to know why AA is choosing to forego that advantage.

7. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I feel better already.

flyforawg likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Yes.
    Not in markets which include a US point of sale. If you search for fares based on other point of sale countries (e.g. Russia) they can show up in a system without the YQ/YR.
    This is commonly accepted to be the main reason it happens. No discount on the "fees" including the YQ/YR.
    Not that I'm aware of.