Why I hate DPS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by estnet, May 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Upon arrival at the departure level you are met at the door by two guards asking for a ticket, which of course no one has in this age of electronics. It isn't a security check and they let me through when I said it was electronic, but not the five people in front of me who had said the same thing and were searching to try to find something printed to show him!

Well, there are flight boards which don't list most flights, but NO signs indicating which counter for which airline if they aren't listed. It is not a small departure hall.

The new airport is clean, relatively àir conditioned BUT

1. It is one of the few that still charges a departure tax in LOCAL cash only unless you are flying Garuda :(. This is not well publicized and you could be quite surprised after you check in and are heading to immigration

2. Leftover rupiah and you want to change back, have to head OUTSIDE of departures, down two levels, go against traffic of arriving passengers to get to the only money changers in the airport They were courteous enough to ask if I had paid my departure tax :)

3. Once you get through immigration there is a mile long (not kidding it seemed that long) chain of shops selling overpriced duty free (items I know were 25% or more over other duty free) and a variety of other shops. It is impossible to get to the departure gates without navigating the slow walkers and garish displays.

4. Once you arrive at the "premier" lounge if you have admission, a young man sticks a list under your nose - of prices for massage or such, right after you you are checked in. Want some food - welcome to empty trays of just about everything.

I am Soooo glad to be leaving and have no plans to return.

Flyer1976, NYCUA1K and Newscience like this.
  2. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's a newish airport, so still some growing pains. I agree that if the taxes were included, it would be nice. I haven't seen any Indonesian airport lounge that I'd say was above average.

I've been to way worse airports, with machine gun wielding soldiers, barbed wire, etc. All the Indonesia airports I've been to ask for the flight printout, etc. I'd guess this is to not have a lot of well wishers clogging the lobby up, or security related.

3. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    So, you mean just like LHR, right? ;)

I'd happily return to LHR or DPS. The airport is nowhere near annoying enough to take away from what nice places London or Bali are.

Sweet Willie, gaijin62 and LETTERBOY like this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well the last time I was at LHR, and it has been a while, the were lots of shops and lots of people but you didn't HAVE to walk through miles of a shop with only a narrow aisle to get to the gates.
    Bali has lost it's luster for me. Compared to 5 or 10 years ago it has lost its charm and is now full of chain restaurants, even more pushy salespeople every step and tons of overpriced junk (I assume the real art can still be found if you look in the right places).
    Worst airport, no. Extremely unpleasant for me, yes.

traveltoomuch likes this.
  5. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was in DPS in January and it is the zoo that the OP described it to be, more so when departing...

traveltoomuch likes this.
  6. LAM

LAM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time I was in India all of the airports I used you had to have a flight printout. I think it was more to keep extra people out and an appearance of security. The crowds outside after you depart the terminal in Delhi can be insane. Thank goodness for car service.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  7. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    India too, but that's what Tripit on the phone is for...just make sure your phone is charged.

8. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, airports in India and CMB IIRC are a lot worse. The problem is that there was no notice ahead of time that a printout was needed and the "guard" seemed to decide if he would accept an electronic version or not by his mood of the moment:rolleyes:

9. miao520

miao520 New Member

Status Points:

10. simoncn

simoncn Active Member

Status Points:
    I've been bali 4 times in 2 years. I guess this airport far more better than some other airport. You may try Manila? ;););););). I never met anyone try to sell me anything at lounge, Guess that is because of I dressed like poor guy :D:D

11. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    You really should get into a habit of printing your itinerary when traveling internationally. It is something most travelers should have, even in this day in age, not just in Bali.

gaijin62, WilliamQ and LETTERBOY like this.
  12. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do it even when I'm traveling domestically.

13. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Occasionally, it can even save you some grief when the system "fails" to find you or the promotion package upon check-in.
    Been there personally. :(

gaijin62 and LETTERBOY like this.
  14. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me too.

LETTERBOY and gaijin62 like this.
  15. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought I was the only one still doing this. Glad to know I'm not alone hah.

LETTERBOY and gaijin62 like this.
  16. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree that printing an itinerary is a good idea, but it isn't always possible. changes to flights made in the taxi to the airport (yes this happened to me), places where printing isn't possible, etc. The problem is that there is NO notice that this is required at DPS, had there been signs on arrival or when paying for the entrance visa that would have been fair.

17. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    That thar horse is dead, son.