Why I actually like Hilton.

Discussion in 'Hilton | HHonors' started by particlemn, Jan 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. particlemn

particlemn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why I actually like Hilton.

So Many times on the boards you only see complaints about a brand and how it has lost value, or that this promotion would be much better if it was stay one night at a Hampton inn and get 7 nights free at any Hilton properties. So I thought I would add this prospective on why I like Hilton and ask that others leave comments.

I have been a Hilton honors member about 3 years and have been Gold for the last 18 months. I first got gold by completing a MVP Challenge and have kept it with the 20k spend on the free Amex card. The room up grades and free breakfast are a great addition to our weekends trips and in looking at the other brands I don’t think with my minimum stays/spends I could ever get to such a level for upgrades.

We spend about 20 nights a year in hotels all on our own dime and with our 4 y.o. in tow. We usually take a week vacation and do lots of weekend trips through out the year. In the past 2 years I have saved up and redeemed about 500k in points for 2 separate weeks at the Hilton Waikoloa Village( best place to take a 4 yo in the world). The points seem really easy to come by with all the various promotions that are run. Plus the two credit cards available are very helpful especially the Citi one and the three times I got the sign up bonus last year.

We find great value in the points we earn while on these weekend trips and greatly enjoy spending time with the family. We live near Los Angeles so we have easy trips to San Diego and to Palm Springs. We can often find great hotels in the 100 per night on weekends for these getaways and the MVP discount code and aaa discount help.

Finally I really like the little thing that Hilton offers, the Hilton brands I’ve stayed at always seem to have glass drinking glasses in the room rather than plastic like at Marriot courtyards. I know this may not see like a big deal but it is a real nice touch. The evening scotch in plastic cup just does not seem right.

DCA Rob, Putra, NYCUA1K and 14 others like this.
  2. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like Hiltons mainly because there is always some Hilton brand where I'm staying for work and where I'm redeeming for vacation. The Hampton Inn brand is also very consistent which helps give some normalcy to us road warriors.

That is mainly what I care about.

3. Handleman20

Handleman20 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm a big fan of the "multiple clusters of properties" principle which Hilton has employed. It makes getting Diamond status much easier when your mattress run consists of practically wheeling the rollerboard across a parking lot. :)

4. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am a big Hilton fan! Got Gold beginning of last year with MVP promo and plan to re-qualify this year. Last January I looked at how much personal travel my wife and I do (I don't travel fr business except for 1 or 2 possible random hotel nights a year) and took a look at all the hotel programs. While Hyatt Diamond sure has some nice perks, I don't think I could realistically have 25 stays a year and the cost of Hyatt's are sometimes above our budget (that and their aren't a lot of them around).

I figured I could meet most hotels mid-teir (Gold) level of status constantly and then looked at which program gave be the best benefits. Hilton won hands down with Hilton HHonors Gold. Two important factors. 1) FREE INTERNET!! Very important. 2) Free breakfast at hotel restaurant if exec lounge level rooms not available. (A nice thing to start off your day and not have to think about (or budget for) when on vacation. A third reason is being able to get free room upgrades upon availability, but this is more of a nice to have perk.

Add to that, that Hilton has TONS of properties around, means I know I will have choices in travel. I also do like their product of their Hilton and Hampton Inn's. (Still haven't stayed at a double tree, Conrad, or Waldorf....yet.)

jbcarioca, uggboy, traveler and 4 others like this.
  5. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    and some times even 2 or 3 or 4 brands in the area :)

jbcarioca, tondoleo, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  6. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Totally agree!

jbcarioca, uggboy, LETTERBOY and 3 others like this.
  7. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have been Gold or Diamond with Hilton for most of the past 7-8 years. All own dime stuff, always on stays.

I am honestly reconsidering this and have decided 2012 is not going to have me requal. I drop to silver April 1 although I would prefer if they had a soft landing off of Diamond.

I do like that you can often find many hotels in an immediate area making mattress running a breeze. Also, rates of 70 a night are common on weekends in driveable destinations for me. So although an expense, it is not too expensive.

This still means I'm paying to Hilton alone and not gas/tolls/etc 2100 or so for Diamond. I do not feel I get 2100 worth of benefit from that consistently. I did get the value in 2011 with free breakfast in the Seychelles and also a massive upgrade to the Royal Suite at the Bentley in London. Of course throw in the terrible treatment in FLL at the Marina and I am left with very bad tastes.

Free breakfast can be nice. Evening drinks when you can manage to find a hotel worth having a lounge and actually open on weekends without a surcharge for alcohol is nice. Free internet domestically is no longer even a must now with smartphones and tablets.

If I were traveling for work, I could see more value. But entirely own dime on an ever shrinking budget Hilton perks are nice but no longer a must for us.

8. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I moved from Marriott Plat last year (and gold on Hhonors) to staying all at Hilton. Just got the upgrade to Diamond 3 weeks back.

Personally I feel that I got better recognition even as gold at Hilton properties over Plat at Marriotts.

My only qualm is I do think Marriott Points are better but I'm getting used to Hilton points and have a trip to Hilton Hawaiian village on points coming up very soon :)

jbcarioca, Sean Colahan and uggboy like this.
  9. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    We just had a two night weekend stay at a deep discount at an HGI and got over 9,000 Hilton points and over 2,500 Delta ones worth a combined total of about what we paid for one night of the trip, plus because I'm Diamond, got an upgrade (albeit just to a room with queen beds) and free breakfasts both days.

DTWBOB

jbcarioca, Sean Colahan and uggboy like this.
  10. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    For mid-tier elite, Hilton has a fairly clear lead in terms of benefits offered, and the properties are decent. Most chains are periodically devaluing various aspects of their programs, particularly on the points side - Hilton is not alone in this regard. Promotions and earning can be decent. Their footprint is also huge, with properties everywhere. They make great sense for your situation.

In some ways I find the Hampton's almost *too* consistent with some things (the faux-cute, faux-original, faux-unique black-and-white artwork decor wears on me if I hit too many hamptons in succession). At the same time, they aren't consistent in some ways that really matter to me - some have a real desk, others have some sort of monstrosity, maybe up on wheels or snuggled into a wall, that's at a very unergonomic and elevated height for trying to work on. This can be a painful dealbreaker and it's difficult to know going in what to expect.

For a consistent, decent product at the lower end, attractive higher-end point redemption options, wide footprint, and good mid-elite benefits Hilton is quite nice. It'd be nice if Diamond had a bit more benefit associated with it as well.

11. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I actually like Hilton as well. The benefits for infrequent traveler (Gold, obtained through reasonable credit card spending) are quite generous - breakfast, internet and maybe an upgrade. Plus the credit card allows you to redeem points at good value (AXON). Double dipping with airline miles is very generous (especially those triple bmi miles).

There seems to be hotel in the chain no matter where I chose to go, even it is just one or two. There seems to be consistency between the different hotels (for better or worse).

As infrequent traveler I don't see much of a difference between Diamond and Gold.

The only thing that remains to be seen is the effects of premium rewards on redemption. I still waiting to see where the chips will fall on that.

jbcarioca, deant, TAHKUCT and 2 others like this.
  12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why we like Hilton incl.

- Coverage of the Hilton Family Brands throughout the world.

- So far we had never problems with recognition of our Gold or Diamond status.

- Always friendly treatment from all staff encountered.

- Free Internet, Free Breakfast, Free Club Lounge Access and upgrades mostly to Executive rooms.

- Very good promotions throughout the year and redemption at aspirational properties.

- Love also the Peter Thomas Roth bath amenities which are now throughout the world available.

- Also we like that Hilton is growing in many new places we like to visit in the future.

Can only recommend Hilton and wishing all happy and safe travels.

jbcarioca, deant, tondoleo and 5 others like this.
  13. YankeeTravlr
    Original Member

YankeeTravlr Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stay almost exclusively with Hilton, and have the Amex card, for one reason - Hilton Los Cabos.

'Nuff said.

jbcarioca, deant, tondoleo and 2 others like this.
  14. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love staying at Hilton properties because they are ubiquitous in my favorite part of the world: Asia, where service still means something. If you are Diamond and check into a Hilton property in Asia, you are in for a real treat. Recently at Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund and at Conrad Hong Kong, I was even assigned a specific person to oversee to my every need! I never failed to be upgraded in Asia even as a "lowly" Gold, and at properties where I have stayed at least a couple of times (e.g., Hilton Wangfujing in Beijing), I get to even choose my own room for upgrade. After my fifth stay at Hilton Singapore, which was also during this holiday, I got into my upgraded room on the exec floor, next to the exec lounge, with a great balcony, and found a personalized card on the desk from the management saying that they had specifically chosen the exec floor room for me to thank me for choosing to stay with them for the 5th time in 12 months. Great touch! But the service in Southeast Asia is simply unbeatable; don't even get me started to describe the royal feast that is every breakfast! The great thing is that Hilton properties have been growing like wild mushrooms throughout Asia, meaning that there will be that many more cool places to visit!

Cheers!

jbcarioca, deant, tondoleo and 4 others like this.
  15. alexkgtu

alexkgtu Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, I dont consider myself a Hilton lover, like the guys above, but I do have opinion about the chain. I happen to hold highest (or other benefitial) tier in most programs ( Hyatt, SPG, Carlson, Hilton, Marriott, Best Western - in order of likeness). And yes, I do travel on my own dime too. While I generally like Hilton properties, some things leave a pretty bad taste in my mouth: bad customer service - email sometimes dont get answered at all, especially when it's a complaint; constant nickel and diming - surcharge for full breakfast at many properties when you want to "upgrade" from continental; delivery fee and 17% tip for asking for extra pillows. need I say more?? just bad "best rate guarantee", 1.6 million points redemption ratio for a night at doubletree New York? I'd laugh if I didnt want to cry.

Dont get me wrong, I could make a list of pros and cons for each chains, but overall best treatment and customer service I receive at Hyatts, though prices are slightly higher.
    But: I dont believe in such a thing as hotel loyalty. it's not a mutual feeling. you can be loyal to a chain, but its never loyal to you. its a business. and you're just one of the thousands. That's another weak part of Hilton - they couldnt care less. That's why I take hotel chains for exactly what they are - I'll stay with the one that's priced right and offers a beneficial reward (promo).
    Sorry to spoil the thread.

uggboy, Toula, HiIslands and 3 others like this.
  16. deant
    Original Member

deant Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Alexkgtu, I basically agree with your comments. I do believe that Hilton is a very good brand. They do treat their Gold and Diamond members fairly well. Free breakfast, internet, upgrades etc are very positive. However, they do get on my bad side when I see devaluations happen without any notice or recognition that there is a devaluation.

As you said, hotels are a business and they are in the business to make a profit. They have a business plan that they believe will make them the most money. Trying to make people loyal to the brand is only one aspect of that business plan. But they will drop any loyalty if it means making a higher profit. This, of course is true any hotel.

uggboy, Sean Colahan, Toula and 2 others like this.
  17. mtlfire

mtlfire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've been Hilton Gold/Diamond the last few years. Always on base points and not stays. Hilton is a lot like McDonalds. You can go into any one, anywhere, and typically know what you are going to get. I appreciate that I book one, and generally know what to expect when I check in based on the brand I selected.

I've always been treated well, and received a few nice upgrades over the years. But I largely prefer the status for the free breakfast (I generally prefer places without lounges now) and the free internet. Added to the fact that there's pretty much a Hilton branded property no matter where I travel, it works out well.

uggboy, jbcarioca, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  18. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy, Toula and Tenmoc like this.
  19. MDDCFlyer

MDDCFlyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely correct - it is all about business. From the hotel side is how much money it can take from you, and from the customer side how much benefits they can have.

With the recent "premium award" introduction at the Hilton, I have been looking around at other chains to see what they have in comparison to Hilton. Personally I highly value tangible benefits (i.e. otherwise I would have to pay for) such as free breakfast and free internet. I don't travel as frequently as I used to in the past, maybe 10 nights on business and about the same hotel nights for personal reasons. It is nice to have the nice upgrade, but both on business and on personal travel I don't go to a place to be in the room all day, so as long as the room is adequate I don't particularly care about the upgrade (though it is nice when it happens). Almost where ever I go there will be a Hilton hotel around that I can stay at. True, sometime at a little higher cost - but when I take into consideration the perks (free breakfast, free internet, and double dipping) it is usually less than the cost differnatial.

Probably the most important factor for me now is the ability to maintain a reasonable status (i.e. Gold) only through a free credit card spending. I don't think it is possible to get to that level in any other hotel chain.

uggboy, deant, Toula and 2 others like this.
  20. alexkgtu

alexkgtu Active Member

Status Points:
    I agree, the strongest sides of HHonors program are
    1. coverage
    2. pretty good benefits for a status you dont really have to work much (Gold).

I guess the bottom line would be that Hilton need to improve, significantly, the Diamond benefits. That would be my advice to Hilton Honors.

uggboy, Tenmoc, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  21. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    True. 4 $79 stays with a proper promotion or even free trial without any stay requirements.

uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  22. alexkgtu

alexkgtu Active Member

Status Points:
    yeah. I have a friend who just keeps signing up for comp/low stay gold offers year after year. I just gave him the link for visa infinite promo couple weeks ago, which he successfully used. lol

uggboy, Explore, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  23. TAHKUCT
    Original Member

TAHKUCT Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do exactly the same. ;)

uggboy, jbcarioca and deant like this.
  24. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just made HH Gold and I'm wondering the if you travel with kids that stay in the same room, do you get free breakfast for them too?

Thanks in advance!

Tenmoc, uggboy and jbcarioca like this.
  25. Bob Smolinsky
    Original Member

Bob Smolinsky Gold Member

Status Points:
    uggboy and jbcarioca like this.