Why even top-rated hotel restaurants struggle

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by uggboy, Jan 13, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why even top-rated hotel restaurants struggle

A fascinating read, food for thoughts on this theme. As for myself, I love to eat in good hotels, good hotels usually house superb restaurants and Bars, plus good room service is an indulgence truly to be savoured from time to time. :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  2. JennB
    Original Member

JennB Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. I can go either way with hotel restaurants.. I've had some truly great meals at some, but usually really want to get out in the city I'm visiting. I also agree that they rarely come to mind as a local. I can think of a few exceptions, especially here in PDX, but a lot are so buried in the hotel or seen as overpriced that I never think to try them.

WilliamQ, Newscience and uggboy like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting, uggboy! :)

Absolutely! Most folks are happy to have a good breakfast in their hotel's restaurant, and they most often look for fine dining elsewhere.

WilliamQ, uggboy and blackjack-21 like this.
  4. larajones

larajones New Member

Status Points:
    Customers' expectations keep on increasing. If the business handlers assume that they are top rated and will anyway get business and stay idle without improvisations, the business definitely becomes a struggle.

uggboy likes this.
  5. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do not think a restaurant can really thrive with just the hotel's guests. The hotel guests classified as captive clientele is most of the time not true. Other than breakfast and the occasional dinner, I will dine out when staying at a hotel. As for while I am not travelling, I seldom think of local hotel's restaurants unless they are running a promotion, usually tied to credit cards.

Newscience and uggboy like this.