Why don't airlines accept THEIR Pet Carriers?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by Sherane, Feb 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Last time I flew First Class just so there would be plenty of room for me and my lil Yorkie/Silkie, in the Carrier they specified as THEIR choice for Carriers. The frowning Flight Attendant told me I would have to move my dog to baggage! I emphatically said, "NO!" One word. The next thing I know, the FFA is on board asking me what my problem was, "None, ma'am. I don't have a problem." The FFA woman faked a laugh and said, "OH, you're a funny one, eh? I can have you thrown right off this aircraft!" Of course, my reply was, "WHY?" She answered with, "That Carrier doesn't fit all the way under the seat in front of you. It MUST fit under the seat in front of you."
    "I am surprised! This IS the Carrier your airline website stated as the only Carriers you accept. Shew fits comfortably in the Carrier, I have all the papers nobody asked to see, and this Carrier is an 1/16" of going completely under the seat. I don't understand all this commotion." The frowning Flight Attendant started giving me harder looks as nobody could board as long as the FFA was on board - I was holding up everything for doing exactly what the airline told me to do and I purchased a First Class ticket, as well! The FFA and the Attendant talked quietly before the FFA came to me and said, "Any trouble from you, smarting, trying to be funny and the dog goes to the baggage bay. Do you hear me?" "Yes, Ma'am. I will not make one sound, neither will my lil dog as she is so drugged, she'll sleep all the way home."
    When we arrived home I wrote a letter explaining my experiences and asking why I was treated this way. I received a letter back stating that while they 'used' to endorse the Carrier I had, they had not for years. "Then why is it on your website?" "That was an error. You should have called to check." So, I learned that this airline's website is NOT updated thoroughly enough to be accurate, the Flight Attendants were combative and FFA RULES THE AIR WITH AN IRON FIST!!
    SO, how do you insure your very small dog can stay with you in the cabin when the website told of the ONLY Carrier they would accept, you had your tiny dog drugged, in that very Carrier? I called to be certain I had the correct paperwork (nobody even asked) and I was NOT ready to fly with my canine friend (Assist. Animal, to boot!) and make sure my animal isn't killed in the baggage compartment?:confused:

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to Milepoint Sherane!
    Definitely sounds like the FA could have handled this better.
    No one should be bullied like that. :(
    You did what you thought was correct to be compliant with the airlines regulations, the FA should have been more helpful.
    In the future it may be a good idea to verify your pet carrier etc at a check-in counter to cover yourself prior to boarding.
    Maybe even ask for a note or something showing the airline staff has viewed your carrier?
    That way you are "per-cleared" when encountering a loud mouthed abrasive FA.

3. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP! Your post had FFA, which to my knowledge would indicate Future Farmers of America :) . I know you meant FAA, which is Federal Aviation Administration, though they were treating you and your poor puppy worse than farm animals... :(

4. chaz4449

chaz4449 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have to ask, what was the airline?

Mikus33 likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Welcome to MP!

I am curious, too, what FFA means.

Did the airline change the website after telling you it was incorrect information?

6. Mikus33

Mikus33 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I've gotta know the airline too. Although, I'm sure it could have happened on anyone of them...

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Not on Southwest.

Mikus33 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    because they don't accept pets?

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No First class :) and yes, they don't accept pets for the cargo hold. And as i understand it, you have to check in with the pet/carrier at the counter and pau $75, so any concerns about the size of the carrier are presumably supposed to be addressed then and there.