Why does Madrid have very little Luxury Hotels

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by AdamEfimoff, Feb 6, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. Its driving me off ever going to Spain

uggboy likes this.
  2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Palace is quite a decent hotel in a great location basically across the streets from both the Thyssen and Prado Museums.

iolaire and uggboy like this.
  3. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at the Intercontinental (a bit away from the central area) and the Ritz but like the Palace the best.

I am planning on staying at the Santa Mauro this summer. Have heard very nice comments about it.

4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There's the Ritz by Belmond, the LHW Villa Magna, Urso, Unico, The Palace by Westin, Santo Mauro by AC Hotels / Marriott Autograph Collection, The AC Palacio del Retiro, which is also Marriott Autograph Collection, There's the Hesperia Madrid, Preferred Hotels & Resorts, There's the LHW Grand Melia Fenix, plus the Orfila, a Relais & Chateaux Hotel, of course there's the IC Madrid, NH Collection Eurobuilding with Michelin starred cuisine, plus the Urban or Villa Real, SLH member.

There's choice, superb hotels, we enjoyed a few of those menitoned and they're all memorable and luxurious in their very own ways. Enjoy Madrid. Cheers. :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
  5. jackplum
    Original Member

jackplum Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought the Ritz was a tad worn and old school but I must say we had a beautiful view of the Prado. I had a BOGO deal through AMEX

The IC in nice but a few metro stops from Plaza Mayor, Puerto del Sol, Gran Via, Plaza Cibeles or the museums (other than the Sorolla museum around the corner - highly recommended ). The Santo Mauro is about half way between Sol and the IC.

Villa Magna is near the Palace.

If access to the central area is important then the Palace can't be beat for luxury and location.

6. but no hotels with pools are deal breaker:mad: @uggboy

uggboy likes this.
  7. pricesquire

pricesquire Silver Member

Status Points:
    @AdamEfimoff: with all due respect, Madrid has plenty of luxury options...and even if they didn't, Madrid is still a world-class city worth putting up with a 2-3 star hotel.

Hotel Urso..

Westin Palace..

RItz..

Villa Magna..

There are others.

iolaire, canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  8. @uggboy My mum wants to go and she is paying but I could not find a more boring city then Barcelona no museums of interest. I would rather go to Cape Town my mum says I will die if I go there by the somewhat dangerous people

9. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    huh? Barcelona boring ???

Ever heard of that mystery guy called Pizzazo or Picasso ...something like that?:)

http://www.museupicasso.bcn.cat/en/

canucklehead and uggboy like this.
  10. Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
    uggboy likes this.
  11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, sometimes urban luxury hotels don't offer a pool, but Madrid is a beautiful city and you should visit nevertheless. Cheers. :)

12. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Beautiful selection of hotels, Madrid offers indeed a wide variety of choices in the luxury segment. While the Palace was memorable, the Villa Magna was outstanding as was the Gran Melia Fenix, plus while we haven't stayed at the Ritz by Belmond so far, we visited it for some nice food and drinks, gorgeous atmosphere and service. Recommended. We heard already good news from Urso Hotel & Spa too, would love to try it in our future. :)

iolaire likes this.
  13. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, for many the Palace or the Ritz by Belmond offer the best location in Madrid. The IC is beautiful too, I remember our stay there fondly, while located more to the north of Madrid, with the metro getting around the city isn't a big problem at all. Villa Magna is outstanding, we had a stay there a few years ago, very memorable indeed and highly recommended. :)

eponymous_coward and jackplum like this.
  14. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recommend the OP not go to Spain, not because it does not have luxury hotels or amazing museums, but because his selection criteria is so skewed (like a mandatory pool) that no hotel will meet his criteria. Having stayed at the Palace several times, I can verify it is pretty luxe and as a guest, I have been always treated very well. The rooms/suites I have been given were generously apportioned and suitably stated in design befitting its name.

As for BCN, its just sad if you do not see the intrinsic and extrinsic merits of the city. In some ways, it is a living museum with a vibe I have rarely seen in a city (albeit, i have only been to about 50 countries ;) ). You have to experience Gaudi's influence through the streets, or discover Barri Gotic, meander to Funadacion Miro or Meseu Picasso to realize how uninformed a statement like "a more boring city then (sic) Barcelona" is. Nearby BCN is Montserrat renowned for its abbey, black Madonna, and lesser known Publicacions de l'Abadia de Montserrat, a publishing house, which published its first book in 1499 and is the world's oldest press. Boring, no, undiscovered by OP, YES!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  15. luxury

luxury Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe a Four Seasons is to open in Madrid in the next few years...

uggboy likes this.
  16. Yes I know but really need to know the quarter and year