Why Does LX Close Check In So Early?

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by EyeOnTheSkies, Feb 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. EyeOnTheSkies

EyeOnTheSkies Silver Member

Status Points:
    I showed up to JFK today as a *G with a C ticket on LX, carry on only with 45-50 minutes to departure and was told they wouldn't let me check in. I don't get it. Why the insanely early closure? LH routinely lets people check in up to the half hour mark if they're in C or F.

2. ballardFlyer

ballardFlyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't min checkin 60 for intl at JFK? People following the rules are a pain - rules are there to be bent. Had a similar problem last Thursday at JFK.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  3. YuropFlyer

YuropFlyer Active Member

Status Points:
    LX in ZRH is very decent, 25min even if international long haul when in F, 30min C longhaul, 25min C shorthaul, even Economy 40min longhaul - which is all better than average airline companies.

It has to do with US "Security" crazyness. (Which we all know isn't secure at all)

In Shanghai, I've no problem checking in @LX 40 minutes (or 50min if in Couch) before departure. In the US? Good luck!

This is not LX fault, but the fault of the United States and their "security" crazyness.

The rules in ZRH are, for example:

Zurich 24 hrs
    First: 25 min
    Business Europe: 25 min
    Business Inter-continental: 30 min
    Economy: 40 min

Exception to the US:
    First: 60 min
    Business: 60 min
    Economy: 70 min

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think the closing is really that early given the restrictions at USA airports.