Why does everyone in Hong Kong own an iPhone?

Discussion in 'Asia' started by NileGuide, Feb 4, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. I went to a blogger event at Pizza Express, in Tsim Sha Tsui for dinner just then. What struck me about bloggers is that they all own iphones, but who doesn’t own an iphone in Hong Kong these days? It must mean something if gadgets are so popular these days, so ubiquitous that conversations that take place on the dinner table are heard immediately online and somebody tweets back.
    It makes sense that the cool factor is irresistable, mutual friends are all using it so you feel the peer pressure. Motivation must also be a mix of jealously and distaste for all the other people that you see using iphones so you can secretly think that you use it better. I have never owned apple products, and inevitably I must fall into the pitfalls of trying hard to be different. I’ve barely even text people and I have a phone that can make and receive calls, I call people and meet up with people if I want to talk to them. Does that mean that I’m harbouring excessive resentment towards all iPhone users in Hong Kong, no I don’t think so. At the end of the day, a phone is a phone and its how you use it rather than what you use to keep in touch. I guess this could remind you to keep an eye out on all the people in Hong Kong who own iPhones when you come visit. After all, if just about everyone in Hong Kong owns an iPhone then it must mean something?

Continue reading...

2. Pegasus
    Original Member

Pegasus Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it because of the status conscious of the Hong Kongers?

KIXman likes this.
  3. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is because calling somebody is old fashioned! These days people tweet, post on facebook walls and send messages via whatsApp!

Chris_Li likes this.
  4. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    mnot to mention that quite a few of us decided to treat ourselves an iphone after reselling a few iphones :eek:

KIXman and Chris_Li like this.
  5. Chris_Li
    Original Member

Chris_Li Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I earn 30K off it and treated myself for an iPhone + a Hokkaido trip

But ya, facebook obsessive is one of the reason, and for me, it's all about work ...... Email and doing geeky IT stuff are easier on iPhone than others so far

KIXman likes this.
  6. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    i thought for you is ipad

7. Chris_Li
    Original Member

Chris_Li Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well that too and ya, the iPhone profit paid for my iPad as well :-D

KIXman likes this.
  8. joejones
    Original Member

joejones Silver Member

Status Points:
    The iPhone is one of the only truly multilingual phones out there, which is the biggest reason that I got one in Japan. It comes loaded with good fonts and input methods for almost every major language, including five flavors of Chinese input, whereas most phones are either 100% Western-language or 100% other-language.

kaka and KIXman like this.