Why do we do this thing we call flying?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by rwoman, May 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

In ATL this past week, I had lunch with a friend who asked, "Why do you fly so much?" Sometimes it's for work, much of the time it's to go home and see friends and family, and the rest of the time it is to go see something I either want to see again or have not seen before. Lastly, because I think traveling, airports, and airplanes are cool most of the time and I usually enjoy the experience of getting wherever I'm going! :)

So, my fellow MP posters...Why do you fly?

:)robin

sobore, uggboy, Concerto and 2 others like this.
  2. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly because I believe it's still the safest and quickest mode of transportation. Many of my destinations are in the Caribbean so driving is out of the question and boats are not practical nor inexpensive.

sobore, uggboy and jmrich1432 like this.
  3. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Work and Fun.... Since I tend to travel a lot for work, I get the travel bug and want to travel even more for personal. Maybe a bit crazy, but it works for me.
    I'll be arriving back at 75k EQMs in a few weeks :)

As for work, I'm a road warrior, when I get stuck in the office for more than 2 weeks I start to get cabin fever.

uggboy likes this.
  4. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Home is cold and wet. Or at least, it is during the 9 months of gloom in Seattle. Being on an airplane is more comfortable than the local bus, and when I reach my destination, it's not a poorly maintained concrete research facility. I rarely travel in the summer, when it's actually quite nice here.

sobore and uggboy like this.
  5. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    The more I do it, the less it's about being on planes.

uggboy and Rlpro like this.
  6. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sure beats walking or flapping my arms. :D (unless, of course, I'm just visiting the neighbor kids - then walking and flapping my arms is perfectly acceptable) :p

mht_flyer, sobore, uggboy and 4 others like this.
  7. jmrich1432
    Original Member

jmrich1432 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same reasons, work, it's faster/cheaper (I like efficiency). Of course to see things I want to see!

And you're right, Robin, it's cool!

uggboy and Rlpro like this.
  8. Sean Colahan
    Original Member

Sean Colahan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I love everything airports, airplanes, airlines, routes, ets..have since I was a kid. I also like going to new and exciting destinations and exploring the world. (status and first class upgrades don't hurt either ;) ;) )

rwoman, sobore, uggboy and 3 others like this.
  9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Well, I do travel for work, but most of it is for fun. There's the excitement factor of it all: seeing a famous landmark, hiking in beautiful scenery, tasting new food.

There's a great deal of travel that's also just plain good for you. I can't tell you how many times I've listened to someone talk and thought to myself, "Wow, you've not seen much outside of your life in this one place, have you?" I'm not talking meditating on a Himalyan mountaintop, or anything too "out there".

Laying on a beach is nice, but there's something to be said about knowing that the people who live near that beach live/play/eat/worship in a different way than you and that the world is still a beautiful, good place despite that.

10. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This makes me think of the MANY steps I've climbed to get a good view in various cities! :)

uggboy, Concerto and jmrich1432 like this.
  11. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I fly because I want to know what I don't know—and flying gets me to the places and experiences that I don't know.

mht_flyer, uggboy, TRAVELSIG and 5 others like this.
  12. Concerto
    Original Member

Concerto Gold Member

Status Points:
    I fly some for work but I also have a very serious travel bug! :) I love snooping around new-to-me places, meeting new/interesting people and, of course, all of the other fun and good things that come along with travelling. Flying is the quickest way to get me to those special destinations and I have learned to enjoy the whole experience very much!!

uggboy, Rlpro and Sean Colahan like this.
  13. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    YES, exactly. Except right now it's 67 and sunny :)

uggboy likes this.
  14. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly because it's in my blood. Mom was a FA back in the 60s, my first flight was before I could walk, and it's always been the way we got around. Growing up in Alaska, it was just the norm. Now it's my business to travel, but my work is fun, so travel is fun! I travel to learn, to grow my business, and to experience this magnificent planet, it's peoples and critters. I love the planning as much as the experiencing, as they're both part of the overall experience. Never understand those who say "just plan it for me" and don't do any research in advance.

I'm glad to say it's my life!

rwoman, uggboy and Concerto like this.
  15. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    And we think that's nice. Hehe, my brother is on a job in Bethesda right now and complaining about the heat. I wish it were 85 and humid. I actually WANT to move to DC for the weather after getting my degree.

uggboy likes this.
  16. jetsetter
    Original Member

jetsetter Silver Member

Status Points:
    So many reasons why I fly, but mainly to discover new places and to see friends and loved ones.

Concerto and uggboy like this.
  17. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    We fly because we love the sense of freedom, discovery and the sensation of being fortunate enough to live the dream of endless exploration! We love hotels, we love cities and we love aviation // airplanes // airports! :):):):):)

Concerto and rwoman like this.
  18. miles and smiles
    Original Member

miles and smiles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because we are:

[​IMG]

Dreaming of being:

[​IMG]

19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Weather may be okay....traffic is NOT!! ;)

uggboy likes this.
  20. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    For the miles, of course. You see, by flying, I get to spend hours in an uncomfortable compressed metal tube, and if I spend enough hours doing that, it will give me the miles and elite status to do it again the following year. At which point, I will be doing it to earn miles and elite status for the following year.

For some reason, I'm feeling dizzy right about now...

Mike

21. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    All pleasure for me. I enjoy new places, new people, new experiences, new food and the more I fly, the more I get to do so and more comfortably.

22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have lived in Seattle since 1968 and really hate to leave in the summer because it truly is lovely, but the rest of the year I travel as much as I can.

When I was a little girl I can remember wondering if Europe was for real, or just a place they wrote about in story books. In the end, I had to go out and see for myself all of these diverse and wonderful places about which I had read. There are a still a whole bunch of places that we need to explore and we will do our best to see them all. By the grace of God we have the miles and points to go pretty much anywhere we would like to go during our retirement, when we finally get there.

We have also discovered that we love cruising and are lucky that we have the miles to take us anywhere we desire to board a ship and sail around the world. That should be pretty easy to do even when we are 90. ;)

BurBunny and rwoman like this.
  23. yaychemistry

yaychemistry Silver Member

Status Points:
    1) Planespotting
    2) Airports are fascinating to me - everyone has somewhere to go and a different story!
    3) Flying is awesome
    4) Channel 9 on UA (liveatc.net when I'm stuck on the ground)
    5) I get way more work done on airplanes (or trains) than I would in the office

rwoman likes this.
  24. Kagehitokiri
    Original Member

Kagehitokiri Silver Member

Status Points:
    to get places...

of course if youre flying in an SQ double suite, or some other ridiculously luxurious "setting" thats a "trip" by itself

25. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting your thoughts everyone! :)