Why do so many Aussies think that QF sucks rocks?

Discussion in 'Qantas Airways | Frequent Flyer' started by redtailshark, Nov 26, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Inquiring megalanias want to know...

2. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you flown them? The FF program sucks (often double the miles required on AAnother AAirline for the same award, even on QF metal), ridiculous fuel fines on awards, inconsistent service over the entire fleet, the 'downgrade' of transcon flights from Business to Premium Economy (it's sold as business, but the seat is identical to QF's long haul Y+ offering) and they're facing Virgin Australia, who are putting full lie-flat seats with 3 course plated-in-the-sky meals on transcon.

QF is a dinosaur. I was a QF proponent up until very recently, but i've seen the light. My miles now go to AA and VA. I've been a top-tier QF elite for years and will keep it, by flying AA, but only until I get lifetime gold (OneWorld Sapphire), then, i'm outa there.

3. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if you were flying domestically in Australia, who would you use?

I have this very problem next year. No Star Alliance carriers in Oz, so I can't put any mileage into my status (and flying Delta out of YQR doesn't make a ton of sense for a frequent flyer who spends a good chunk of his time in Canada).

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. drewbles
    Original Member

drewbles Gold Member

Status Points:
    Virgin Australla. A DL partner if you want to credit to them.

PhotoJim and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Intra-Oz. SYD-MEL and back. BA Avios redemption - a good value too, I should say. Although QF Y didn't compare with TG F (which is how I arrived in Oz) it seemed serviceable enough.

I get it about the FFP - bear in mind I am a veteran of Jeff R's [​IMG] best in class [​IMG] DL SM shenanigans and everything you say about QF applies to DL SM. Fly DL credit to AS, same reasoning.

6. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While the QF FF program does have a lot to be desired it has some big advantages - namely Any Seat Awards which enable you to earn SCs (and thus status), as well as Lifetime Status.
    Apart from the transcon routes for which the seats are likely to be changed I generally find the overall service both in J and Y to be better than the competition, and they have a much larger lounge network. That said VA is definitely challenging.

7. wingspan
    Original Member

wingspan Silver Member

Status Points:
    <stereotype>

To add another dimension to the answer to your question, So many Aussies think that QF sucks rocks because of some very ambivalent values that are deep-seated in the Australian psyche. QF is the airline that Aussies love/hate to hate/love.

In some ways, Qantas is something that unites Australia. It's a brand that has remained Australian and has been a pride of Australia. In some ways it's more Australian than other national icons like Vegemite and Holden. Australians love to support hardworking Australians, and thus have greater affinity to QF than other airlines like VA or TT.

In spite of - or rather because of - being able to closely identify with QF on many levels, when it lets Aussies down, it really lets them down. They see it as a comrade - but because it's a business, sometimes it can't be the comrade back. And the other side of the coin is that Australians are happy with success in business or otherwise, but when a successful business puts on superior airs and is not an 'equal' then they resent it.

</stereotype>

nosworthyd and LETTERBOY like this.