Why Do People Inform the Media about OUR culture???

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by mrx900, Mar 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    came across this article....
    http://www.businessinsider.com/man-...aign=Feed:+businessinsider+(Business+Insider)

I personally do not approve of his actions, because it kills deals for US. There is absolutely no need to inform the media, unless you want attention, EXACTLY each and every detail of our miles and games hobby.....I don't need to explain how many methods were shut down, simply because someone wanted their 14 minutes of fame.

its one thing to talk about it on the blogs, but its another to inform the media and TV stations.....

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because he has a book to sell?

Flying Bat, edekba, harvson3 and 4 others like this.
  3. mrx900
    Original Member

mrx900 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What time is the book burning party? :D

jbcarioca and Kalboz like this.
  4. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because our "culture" is not some shameful or bizarre cabal that needs to be enshrined in secrecy?

5. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    So you think nobody else should be able to learn about points/miles so you can keep them for yourself? :rolleyes::mad: FF miles are PROFITABLE for airlines, for the most part. They're not going away. They will almost certainly change to some degree, but they're here to stay. Everyone has to start somewhere. You were a newbie once.

Or perhaps said methods were shut down because they were not being used as the airline/hotel/bank intended? :rolleyes:

These days more people probably read blogs than read/watch traditional media.

charlilo, harvson3, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  6. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    People with books to sell, blogs/booking services to advertise, or just to have the satisfaction of seeing themselves in print or on TV, instead of only in the mirror, would go to any extremes to talk to journalists. They are making a living out of this, or are at least having a sizable side income from the blogs/books/services. Everything that one needs to know is already there on the internet. So they are not really breaking any new ground with interviews, may be help few otherwise disinterested people get curious about miles and points and earn a free trip or two. Overall it is not a deal killer. The current hot thing Vanilla Card will die someday, or the card's activation fee will go up because of people running to the CVS stores everyday, or maybe even more than once per day. It's demise will not come from outside. And like somebody already said, we were all newbies once; why even think about hiding any information?

NYCUA1K, harvson3, jbcarioca and 2 others like this.
  7. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    While too many people participating in certain programs (mint coins, etc.) may bring the early demise of those programs, I truly appreciate the efforts of those who are kind enough to share the information.

I enjoying seeing others reap the benefits almost as much as I enjoy them myself.

If we all tried a bit harder to help others, the world would certainly be a better place.

I'm not always a huge fan of journalists, but if their reporting can help someone improve the quality of their life, by being able to take vacations they otherwise could not afford, on points they earned after reading a journalist's report, I think that means much more than any pulitzer prize.

Those of us who are already blessed with the knowledge and insights that we have, truly have an obligation to help others or we don't deserve the good fortune we have already received.

travelpye, suenam, NYCUA1K and 4 others like this.
  8. Mapsmith
    Original Member

Mapsmith Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's NOT?????????????????? Then why do I pay dues and have to go thru the unusual Hazing? Ooops sorry, that is just TSA Screening?

9. Majikow

Majikow Silver Member

Status Points:
    $ talks. If this guy knows that much about miles and points, and clearly he's been around the block since he was in on the mint scheme, he knows that too much attention will kill the golden goose. That said, I question whether he's putting it out there to help people, or just to sell his book and get some attention.

It should be called the "Easter Island" problem. Sure, everyone can start cutting down the trees, building canoes and fishing til their fat and happy. But eventually, once too many people start doing this, the trees are all gone and the forest doesn't regrow, and then everyone starves.

Helping people learn about this hobby is a great thing, and I love sharing it with friends and family and it's awesome when more people can travel to places they never thought they could go. But at the same time, if I took out a front page article in the Wall Street Journal so that many, many people would see it, they probably wouldn't benefit from some of the tips and tricks because they would be shutdown before they could take advantage.

I think there's a line that we tip-toe, and sometimes the bloggers and attention-seekers jump across that line for self-serving reasons.

AnthonyB1609, mrx900, Kalboz and 5 others like this.
  10. _kurt
    Original Member

_kurt Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pretty much everything mentioned in that article is already dead. He mentions prepaid cards in general but doesn't specifically name Vanilla Reloads.

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  11. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suspect the IRS may take a look at this and determine whether it crosses that line that makes some miles taxable. The fact that his activity is clearly profitable makes the exchange different than if you were to simply get a percentage back from a purchase. It could end up that this guy might not make enough on his book to pay the taxes...

12. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    for Self-Serving Reasons?
    To paraphrase Mark Twain, "From cradle to the grave a man does only what serves his purpose and makes him happy".
    So, these guys are no different from me.

13. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    To some people millions of miles aren't enough. They want their 3.5 seconds of fame and the ire of all of us. Ooh and $34.54 in book royalties paid out over 7 years without interest.

14. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:

Comparing mileage to trees is really not an appropriate analogy. We can get on a plane and earn miles anytime we want, unlike trees that take many years to grow.

I understand your thinking, but most of us would never know about these programs without help from others and it is only fair that we reciprocate.

Everything we do in life is for self-serving reasons. Some people may want to sell books and make money, while some people may derive enjoyment from seeing others benefit from their actions. All are entitled to seek gratification as they see fit as long as it is within legal boundaries.

I'm quite certain that if Mother Teresa had been a points and miles junkie, she would have shared her knowledge with all who needed her help.

15. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    But someone is paying the airline for those miles, and that's usually who is losing out when people pull these scams or tricks.

16. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    I did enjoy this quote:

We'd hate to see a free P2P payments service go away because too many people were gaming the system.

Um, then why publicize it?

17. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've earned millions of miles from many different means available, but I don't recall that I ever scammed someone. Every mile earned was earned legally.

If you are concerned about losses, you should really contact your congressman and ask why the US Mint sold dollar coins at face value, paid the shipping and showed it as a profit to the US Mint, when the government has to reimburse the coins at face value and the shipping is ultimately a loss. They also took a loss on the credit card fees, but the US Mint still showed all of this as a profit.

Max M, edekba, jwsky and 1 other person like this.
  18. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    The code runners talk in their private lingo to keep the deals a secret among a select group of high end miles/points collectors. They get very vitriolic when something is divulged even on a blog, let alone to a journalist. You ought to see the attacks that some of the bloggers are meted out by the code runners. Average travel hackers want to share the information only with their 'friends and family'. They get upset if anyone outside their clan is given out the information. The newbies are trying to claw their way through the intricacies of various games out there, and are generally very open at the start about the information they cull from different sources. But with time, they too join the ranks of 'see no good points/mileage earning deals/ speak no..../hear no...'. Where have the days of 'free and friendly' exchange gone? I have been able to see the six continents (Antarctica is too cold for me!) mostly traveling in F, only through the generosity of my fellow travelers/posters. Has the old style camaraderie gone by the wayside?

suenam, Counsellor, travelpye and 5 others like this.
  19. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    This particular event highlights a weakness in the design of the system. I think they will close them up or modify them one at a time since overall, it works well for the Franchises they create and the barriers to competition they build.

20. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    He is in it to promote his website ... not a travel/points blog mind you but one pushing lousy bargains called "Brad's Deals" trying to imitate "Dan's Deals". But as we all know, Dan's has real gems often while Brad's is full of crappy deals with affiliated links.

Steven Schwartz, Max M and marcwint55 like this.
  21. Majikow

Majikow Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're totally misrepresenting my point. It is an appropriate analogy if you stick to what I was talking about, which is both trees and mile earning opportunities being a finite resource. The reality is that there's a certain amount of miles (or at least a rate of earning miles) that can be milked from deals before they get shutdown, just like the example I used with Easter Island. If people don't get super greedy and the deals don't get over-exposed (to where they get the bad attention of banks/airlines/hotels/whoever), they will continue to bear fruit. However, if all of a sudden everyone and their brother jumps in on a deal, it's bound to get attention and possible lead to changes or a shutdown, just like everyone cutting down the forest would lead to a lack of new trees. There are plenty of examples of how when things get to wide-spread (just think recently of VRs, $500 GCs at Office Depot, etc) they get shutdown, and therefore help no one.

And sure, you can earn miles anytime you fly, but not everyone has the financial means to fly all around the world on their own dime, which is probably why people are attracted to this hobby.

And you'll also notice that I said that I was all for sharing, but that one had to recognize that things shared too widely could often harm rather than help. Sharing in itself is a non-self-serving thing to do in a way since most people recognize that sharing has the potential to ruin the deal for themselves. Do a lot of people do things for self-serving reasons? Sure. But that doesn't mean every action has selfish motives.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And just like the community didn't act in its own best interest in your Easter Island analogy (and there are probably lots of others), I see little reason why the community as a whole would act in its own best interest when ultimately everyone's mileage account is their individual interest. Or in other words, I know that even if I "behave" someone else will not... so it might as well be me earning as much as possible before that other guy (and I) shut it down.

For what it's worth, I didn't order a single $ coin from the mint because it didn't meet my ethical guidelines to screw the rest of the (taxpayer) community for my personal limited benefit. But it's also not worth my time to spend a lot of time getting upset with what others do... because there is just no way it can be changed. Too much money to be made. To many egos at stake.

Counsellor, anabolism and LETTERBOY like this.
  23. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hard to reconcile my image of Mother Teresa with accumulating anything, much less something so removed from basic food, clothing, shelter, medical care.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  24. Majikow

Majikow Silver Member

Status Points:
    Prisoner's dilemma, I guess.

Still, my point is that there's no point in broadcasting certain things too widely when the risk/reward isn't in our (and by 'our' I mean the mileage earner) favor. If you splash AmPay all over the newspapers, there'd be some people who would be like "oh, I can see how that might help", but there's a very high probability that big A isn't going to like that kind of publicity and institute some sort of Paypal fee structure. It's all about managing that inflection point.

Not everything is a zero sum game, and certain deals can probably produce for many people for a long time as long as too much attention is not given to it so that the company/store/airline/etc feels like they have to shut it down. Rather than giving in to the fact that people can often be selfish, we as a community should encourage people to think before they act and maybe we'll all be better off.

anabolism and mrx900 like this.
  25. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I did not have to think about ethics in that case, as I considered it be my civic duty ;) to help the Govt. move coins from the mint to their final resting place. Was I wrong in doing that? If so, I will have to stop hanging around with Mr. Pickles.

mrx900 likes this.