Why do other people care who marries whom?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Punki, Feb 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Are people crazy or what. What possible difference could it make who other people marry?

If someone finds someone else who truly makes them happy, they should be left alone to enjoy their life.

jupper, HiIslands, seaflyguy and 3 others like this.
  2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Makes no difference to me. BTW your husband is all wrong for you, I'm, not sure what you were thinking. Doubt it will last. <evil grin>

FlyingFree and Gargoyle like this.
  3. Grace
    Original Member

Grace Silver Member

Status Points:
    Why are the people most vocal about defending marriage on their third marriage and have had affairs themselves?

HiIslands likes this.
  4. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking about all of the ignorant people on television who have been bashing Obama's support of legal rights for same sex couples. Why do they care?

5. AtomicGardener
    Original Member

AtomicGardener Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uh what, it's still a depression ? All this sensationalism got me distracted.....

PTravel likes this.
  6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I would be very surprised if our new marriage will las as long as our first one. :) Hardly anybody makes it to 80 years unless they start a lot younger than we did.

:)

annerj likes this.
  7. torbster
    Original Member

torbster Silver Member

Status Points:
    My guess is for religious reasons mainly, and some for political reasons - where they'd find a way to bash just about anything coming from "the other side".

Tenmoc likes this.
  8. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well I am pretty religious and my church definitely teaches against same sex unions, but I don't get it. Should people be forced to go through life being miserable and/or lonely just because they happen to fall in love with someone of the same gender?

Last time I checked, love is one of those things that just sort of happens to us, whether we like it or not.

Bundy Bear, k2o, Lalala and 3 others like this.
  9. Westsox
    Original Member

Westsox Gold Member

Status Points:
    Because we all think we are right which must make anyone with a differing opinion wrong. It's the American Way.

Congratulations on your long marriage. I am happily married to my first wife and we will celebrate 23 years of marriage next month.

10. PTravel
    Original Member

PTravel Silver Member

Status Points:
    My view is that the objection to same-sex marriage has the same motivation as opposition to abortion and opposition to birth control. All three represent either a conscious or subconscious attempt to force a specific set of narrowly-defined "Christian" values (I use quotes for "Christian" because I know many Christians who don't share these values) on everyone else. These people believe that life is sacred and the only purpose of sex is procreation. The idea that sex is something that allows two people to bond in intimate ways, or is simply fun, is anathema to them.

I have yet to hear an objection to either SSM, abortion or birth control that is not, at its core, a religious objection.

Tvilum, JasonH and RedM3Pilot like this.
  11. eightblack
    Original Member

eightblack Silver Member

Status Points:
    I loved that line from a Senator (or someone equally as lame) when asked about gay marriage...

He responded "Let them get married. After all, why shouldnt they be as miserable as the rest of us". Or something like that.

Which is the perfect response.

bluesky, k2o, JLSocks and 3 others like this.
  12. lipton
    Original Member

lipton Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow what happened? :eek:

13. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, except the fact that these people often don't practice what they preach. [​IMG]

I think we should just do away with this whole 'marriage concept' in it's entirety. Monogamous relationships are a totally outdated (and unnatural) concept.

eightblack likes this.
  14. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just watching all of the fools on television deriding Obama for saying that same sex partners should have the same benefits as married partners. What possible difference could that make to anyone if someone else wants to provide for their life partner?

Before I was married, I asked my Mother if she would like to fly out and meet Hunki before the wedding. She responded, "I will never have to wake up and look at him first thing in the morning. If he makes you happy, that's all that matters." I think that is the perfect attitude that we should all adopt.

Regardless of race, creed, sex, or religion, if someone is lucky enough to find the person who makes them perfectly happy, they should be allowed to go in peace and be happy. True love is rare enough that it should be celebrated wherever it is found.

15. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hmmmmmmmm, I guess I must be a dinosaur. I think my monogamous relationship of over 40 years is pretty darned fantastic. :) Of course, I was lucky (or smart) enough to pick a really good one. :D

1 person likes this.
  16. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just because it's good, doesn't mean that it's NOT an antiquated concept.

8-track tapes were good, vinyl records were fantastic. [​IMG]

My argument, is that the 'norm' is considered monogamy. I consider that to be flawed. Doesn't mean that people won't have INCREDIBLE monogamous long-lasting relationships.

17. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have a rule. I don't chat or post about religious or political issues. This one does a good job of pulling both elements in so I'm actually not posting.

Fredd, Punki and scubaflyer like this.
  18. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    It does seem to be getting a closer review now than it used to. Was it Germany that considered making marriages valid for only 7 years? The idea of putting a time bound "check in" on a constantly evolving union does spawn some interesting thoughts. Few things in life seem to be "good for a lifetime" anymore.

baccarat_guy likes this.
  19. scubaflyer
    Original Member

scubaflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not a bad rule. Those topics do seem to stir up quite a bit of dust... ;)

Yes, you are very lucky to have your current situation, and you were very lucky to have ended up with that person (to enable your current situation). Congrats on both.

baccarat_guy likes this.
  20. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Taxes, million-miler status, and ghastly Celine Dion songs.

canucklehead and Cholula like this.
  21. diver90
    Original Member

diver90 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Clear evidence of why we REALLY need a Thumbs Up Smiley.

bluesky and baccarat_guy like this.
  22. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think that the reason that its the "norm" is because that the way most people prefer it to be.

There is certainly no reason that you can't stay single or find a relationship where monogamy is not expected. Its a pretty big world and there's room for a lot of different solutions. ;)

jbcarioca, bluesky and baccarat_guy like this.
  23. alex0683de
    Original Member

alex0683de Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wise words, Punki. :)

And ours would be a much better world if more people had already had that particular insight.

24. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll second that.

25. seaflyguy
    Original Member

seaflyguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because it's a common human trait to want to meddle in others' lives. It's also a common human trait to decide that the things you like to do are fundamental rights and should be protected, while the the things you find offensive should be outlawed, whether or not they affect anyone else at all.

The good news is that things are slowly changing. The long-term polling trend in the US is undeniable. Opposition to gay marriage will be about as common in 50 years as opposition to interracial marriage is today (which is to say, it's not common at all, or at least not voiced when it is felt).