Why do I keep having to "Stay Logged In"

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by TravelerRob, Aug 6, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the hel* is the point of "Stay Logged In" checkbox when signing in if after 2-3 weeks I have to login again all over? This is a *really* annoying feature of MP.

Over on the OTBB I never once have to re-login unless I sign in from a new browser or clear my cache/cookies. I use the same exact browser for MP as I do for the OTBB (Chrome). Yet every 2-3 weeks, or so, I go to MP and I'm logged out and have to log back in and click the "Stay Logged In".

Please fix this absurdity, MP.

-Rob

2. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    Thanks for the heads up. The problem is related to how cookies are set. On MilePoint your "active" cookie is set for seven days and a quick glance of your postings shows that you posted July 9th, July 21-22 and then beginning Aug. 5th. As you can see, there are gaps in there of more than seven days. On TOBB I think cookies were set to never expire and there are good/bad thoughts on that practice. We're in the process of updating our technology platform so if you'll be patient with us we'll likely have a more agreeable solution for you soon.

Again thanks.

anileze likes this.
  3. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Normatively, good sites tend to set it a 2-3 weeks maximum without activity, for expiry of cookies.

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Randy,
    Thanks. That would be great.

Although I don't post a lot on this BB, I do check it frequently so I'm on the site a lot more frequently than once a week. It's usually once or several times a day.

Since I do not believe that anyone would consider MilePoint a highly secure forum, a never-expiring cookie is probably an OK way to go.

Regards,
    Rob

5. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I see no change to this policy has happened yet even though the technology has been updated. Well, at least the user interface has :)

I just had to 'login' again. It's been a week since I've been on this PC as I was on the road in Asia.

Can we please get an update to what MP plans to do about this, if anything? And when it might be implemented?

Thanks,
    Rob

6. Mark
    Original Member

Mark Admin Staff Member

Status Points:
    There is a temporary issue right now that is logging people out quite fast (a different issue). Not fun for us admins either who are on the site most of the day, but it will get fixed soon. Before that is taken care of it's hard to check on the one that was existing.

Hopefully we will have an update on it all soon. Thanks for the bump/reminder!

MSYgirl likes this.