Why do folks like to trash talk the other place?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Primula, Mar 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've just read through another 'oh the other place is really nasty' post from someone who is no longer allowed to post over there (of course, one fact might explain the other ;)), and it's part of a general trend by some posters of seeming to want to talk down Flyertalk.

I have to say, I don't get it. Neither MP or FT are perfect, and we might have preferences for one above the other or things we like more on one place than the other. But some of whining I've seen about FT just leaves me cold - particularly when the same posters post it at every opportunity (such as whenever the 'M' word is mentioned!). Can't they get over it and move on to something more productive? [​IMG]

2. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some have an ax to grind.
    Both sites provide useful info.
    I see all kinds of posts from who owns the site, to people here are having a 'hug fest'.
    Truth be told these are just online forums and if you don't like something just move on, it's not worth getting all worked up.

gleff, AmericanGirl, Bonnie and 4 others like this.
  3. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    some people love drama and/or feel the need to take sides in everything. Although it doesn't exactly fit the situation, i feel this fits the ethos of this post:

[​IMG]

gleff, Exit Row, thegrailer and 9 others like this.
  4. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    For obscure reasons people seem to manage to become quite passionate about their bulletin boards including this one and FlyerTalk. At the moment there is a lot of frivolity, but that will diminish as the site matures. I think much of this happens because many of us recognize each other from FT and are enjoying establishing a different relationship. IMO it is much like what happened to me when I met a Brazilian in Yemen. We were instant friends. That dissipated rapidly, as will the present euphoria.

The bashing is a different story. I am uncomfortable with that personally. I suspect it has more to do with old disputes than anything in the present day. I mostly am trying to ignore it.

5. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    As this site matures it is going to have a very advanced "ignore" feature which may come in handy with those posters. That said, I don't really see much FT bashing going on here; just occasional posts indicating relief on the part of people who didn't find FT to be a comfortable fit. Then again, there are already 205,000 posts here, and I've not delved into many of the nooks and crannies of MP.

There is plenty of room on the internets tubes for both FT and MP, and I'll continue to visit both. There are millions of frequent fliers who don't use either, so both can grow and thrive.

People do get incredibly attached to things, and that includes internet bbs. They don't necessarily realize that you don't make your candle burn brighter by blowing out someone else's candle.

If you want an interesting perspective, visit the MP bashing thread on OMNI, and try to correlate the perceptions you read there with your own personal observations of both places. For me that thread is a surreal alternate reality. :D

6. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    You said OMNI right? Yeah. Not surprised its some strange alternate reality.

For the OP. I use the same name on both. I still go to FT although very very rarely. I just feel more comfortable over here. That doesn't mean FT doesn't have anything to offer.

I think people who are basing one site or the other are also bashing "my kind of content" vs "your kind of content."

AmericanGirl, jbcarioca and Gargoyle like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I find I am going there now mostly to answer questions about my particular subjects, but that is it.

8. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am amused, in a thread on this subject that people feel the need to share how they are visiting FT less often. I'm wondering why you feel the need to share that? You use the boards how you use the boards. Forgive me for appearing disinterested, but I don't actually care about your internet browsing habits :D (well.. unless they are bizarre.. then I am interested, and I want links as well ;)). You obviously think more of me than I am, since you seem to think I will be interested... [​IMG]

OTOH, it is an improvement over whining about the other site in a repetitive manner, and posting rants about the 'm' word (if I say it, I'm sure I'll summon them to the thread!) at every opportunity... It's harmless, if boring for the onlookers such as me who are shallow and disinterested in stuff like this.

9. kenbo
    Original Member

kenbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    I still like the "other" site! But I'm still relatively new to everything so I'm not aware of any shenanigans.

10. Spangenberg
    Original Member

Spangenberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but honestly I haven't visited it in a about a week

Cholula likes this.
  11. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same feeling here. I am still on FT a bunch and still participate over there but this site does feel more comfortable. I'd suggest that one reason is that cliques - the "in crowd" - haven't formed yet (and hopefully don't).

Cheers -

ACMM likes this.
  12. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I drop in every so often but after seeing the 10th thread on the same topic and the same beatching from the same folks ... sigh ... I go less and less.

13. Randy Petersen
    Original Member

Randy Petersen Founder

Status Points:
    I've noticed a few comments as well and when i see them i contact the person and suggest the same as you—this is milepoint and it's a really, really good time to forget about the comparison and enjoy what this website has to offer. My guess is that there's likely much blame to spread around. For instance, just after we launched the Beta, this publication:
    http://www.gadling.com/2011/02/16/the-battle-for-your-frequent-flyer-mile-loyalty-flyertalk-versu/
    could only find members of FlyerTalk whose only comments appeared to be, " ... - but when we spoke to some of the new members, they were already unhappy to see previously banned members of Flyertalk happily posting on milepoint."

Here's what I know, while we do not seek to censor comments here, we will seek to encourage more positive conversations and that starts at the top with me. Note: Nice flower for your avatar—a great sign of Spring, a time of rebirth.

14. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    That article is actually how I found MP. It was definitely set up as an us vs them standpoint, but I think early on there wasn't a lot to go on to make a fair comparison.

Either way, glad i'm here.

15. baccarat_guy
    Original Member

baccarat_guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    If someone would just create a 'shenanigans' wiki (shena-wiki); then we could all be more informed. [​IMG]

kenbo likes this.
  16. Primula
    Original Member

Primula Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what you mean by blame to spread around, but I do like your comments about my avatar! :D

17. WormHole
    Original Member

WormHole Silver Member

Status Points:
    You're extremely active in both "realities".

1. How do you manage to stay sane?

2. How do you traverse the vast expanse between them with such ease?

3. What's your day job?

Gargoyle and jbcarioca like this.
  18. WormHole
    Original Member

WormHole Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and yours, sir, is extremely avuncular.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting, concise and to the point.

Gaucho likes this.
  20. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    1. What ever gave you the idea I try to stay sane???
    3. See the Washington Cathedral thread, scroll down to post 13.

21. Canarsie
    Original Member

Canarsie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can offer at least a partial yet succinct explanation.

Notice how for years there are some people are either staunchly defensive as members of the frequent flier loyalty program of any particular airline, while others are relentlessly critical — both to the point of annoyance.

Now replace the word “airline” with either FlyerTalk or milepoint.com.

Just as with religion or politics, you will not convince those people one way or another. Decide for yourself to which Internet web site you prefer to participate, and then just do it and enjoy.

My choice is both FlyerTalk and milepoint.com.

N965VJ, Rlpro and Gargoyle like this.
  22. Rlpro
    Original Member

Rlpro Silver Member

Status Points:

Me too! "Shenanigans", one of my favorite words.

N965VJ and Gargoyle like this.
  23. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    And "Enhancement" too?

24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Human nature......?

25. Cholula
    Original Member

Cholula Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Or you might want to add just as Mac vs. PC. Or Decaf vs. Regular coffee. (Last point made for Gargoyle's amusement).

No choice need be made IMO. I actually find both sites to have many things to interest me.

And if a third site, say pointmile.com, comes along, I'll probably follow that one too.

It's the people who make any community whether that community is your town or an IBB in Cyberspace.

I have many friends on both sites. Some are unique to one site or the other but an increasing number are to be found posting on both MP and FT. And it's the people on both FT and MP that are the attraction for me.

My business travel days are, thankfully, a thing of the past and I'm purposely not even doing a lot of personal travel nowadays. So I'm not nearly as interested in the content of both sites as I am the social aspects of the sites. And each provides me a unique experience.

Gargoyle likes this.