Why Do (almost) All Hotel Business Centers Suck?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by avflyer, Apr 18, 2017.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    No paper in the printer, dry ink cartridges, computers running ancient operating systems and browsers that are incompatible with Drop Box, GMail, etc. To make it worse, no one in the hotels themselves owns any of these problems as the systems are operated by third party providers so you generally get a "We DO apologize" or a blank stare.

After a bed and a shower, an operational business center ranks right up there in my hierarchy of needs for a hotel stay.

These are my experiences? Are yours different? My experience is that the only chain hotel center I can rely on is the Sheraton Link, however I have not experienced one lately.

satman40 likes this.
  2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I do my best to stay with SPG, or Hilton, so far so good.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  3. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like you're staying in the wrong hotels. Every once in a while there will be a lounge computer down or something, but otherwise they mostly seem to work when I need them.

4. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    At a recent convention in Salem, OR at a smaller hotel (don't want to name,) we had sold out 75% of the hotel with just our convention; the hotel was otherwise full with other guests.

Upon asking if we could make 100 copies (willing to pay,) we were directed to the local Kinko's! FWIW, I've done hundreds of copies in these same circumstances at other hotels. They bill us some amount, and everyone is happy!

5. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That was the employee, that the hotel hired,

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Dublin_rfk likes this.
  6. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't hit the business center all that often. I much prefer to use my hardware and use the business center to print and / or conserve battery life and rarely do I find an issue that isn't corrected quickly.