Why did I get AA mileage for an IB coded flight?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by syphlix, Apr 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious - not complaining bc i didn't think i would get mileage at all :D.. .

but

I flew on an Iberia flight on one of those super deals that were $300 RT from JFK > CDG last week, and even though it was an iberia flight number, i still got mileage credit in my AAdvantage account.

Is this how it's supposed to work? i thought that to get mileage I had to have booked it with an AA flight number?

(actually they only gave me mileage for the return trip, for some reason i didn't get any for the trip there)

Confused!

2. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The reason is because IB is part of the same alliance as AA (OneWorld) and more information on earning AA miles when flying IB can be found here (also where you can find the eligible fare classes)
    I suspect the reason you only got mileage credit one way was due to the fare classes booked and first part of the trip wasn't eligible for mileage and the return trip was. The fare class booked refers to the conditions regarding that flight which gets assigned a letter. This letter decides your mileage eligibility and your booking conditions. Again refer to this link here for more information.

3. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Earning on partners is one of the things I like most about AA!

Just for future reference too, you can earn miles on any of AA's Oneworld partners depending on the fare class. These partners include British Airways, Iberia, Finnair, Malev, Royal Jordanian, Cathay Pacific, Japan Airlines, Qantas, LAN, and S7. Technically Mexicana is still in the fold but they haven't flown in quite awhile. Air Berlin and Kingfisher Airlines are set to come on board in the next year or two as well.

AA has a few other partners through codeshare that you can earn miles on as well, but typically these need to be coded as AA flights. Full info on earning AA miles on other airlines is listed here.

Put those miles to good use. :)

4. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this different from Cathay?

When I was booking a Cathay flight recently people were saying I needed to make sure the flight had an AA flight number vs a CX flight number in order to get credit.

Is that only bc I was trying to do the plat challenge?

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Correct, for an AA PLT challenge you need to fly on AA marketed flights, so if you took the CX coded flight, you would not have earned the EQP needed for the challenged.

On a side note, you can earn miles/points on Cathay Pacific flights when not doing a challenge, but they are very strict on which fare codes can earn miles. If you book a cheap flight on CX, chances are you won't be earning anything. Check before you buy if you want the miles on AA.

6. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hrmm

I can't even find where it says the booking code on my email receipt:

Outbound

Saturday, March 26, 2011
    21:00h / New York
    John F Kennedy , Terminal 8Sunday, March 27, 2011
    10:35h / Paris
    Charles De Gaulle , Terminal 2A
    IB4230 [​IMG]

Basic

[​IMG]Flight operated by American Airlines.
    [​IMG]

Inbound

Saturday, April 2, 2011
    14:30h / Paris
    Charles De Gaulle , Terminal 2ASaturday, April 2, 2011
    17:00h / New York
    John F Kennedy , Terminal 8
    IB4231 [​IMG]

Basic

Where else should I be looking to see what the booking code is? "Basic" is where i think the code would be usually lol

7. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Did you book through AA? AA's email receipts show them very clearly on the right hand side of the chart.

If you didn't book through AA, you can see the code in your AA account under the "Cabin/Booking Code" section.

8. ukgooner
    Original Member

ukgooner Silver Member

Status Points:
    You were flying on AA metal too, which can complicate things.

9. syphlix
    Original Member

syphlix Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ok - i have no idea why it happened but i just called AA to ask about it, and i got the miles credited.

Who knows why they didn't put out in the first place.

Thanks for the help!

10. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Great to hear you resolved all your questions. Miles not posting is hardly unusual these days but becoming less and less as the technology and communication between airlines and alliances is improved.

11. Bluewaterops

Bluewaterops Active Member

Status Points:
    The technology and alliances are part of why it is easier, but also, we monitor our statements and transactions more. Exceptions are getting caught and all of the awards programs are sensitive to getting caught from their top members. All good for everyone.

12. anabolism
    Original Member

anabolism Gold Member

Status Points:
    In general you can earn redeemable AA miles whenever flying on a OneWorld alliance partner or a bilateral partner. I say "can" because you need to credit the flight to your AA account of course. It does depend on the airline and the fare class, because some discount fares on some partners earn reduced or no mileage. AA has a page where you can look up the details for each partner: Airline Partners.

If you book a flight as an AA code, then the flight earnings follow the same rules as for an AA operated flight, which can be an advantage (no pun intended).

Note that you also earn elite-qualifying points and miles when flying on a OneWorld alliance partner as well as some bilateral partners such as Alaska Airlines.