Why Delta's Celeb Chef Michelle Bernstein Loves Warm Nuts

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by sobore, Apr 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.jaunted.com/story/2011/4...Celeb+Chef+Michelle+Bernstein+Loves+Warm+Nuts

Before you're even ready to take a bite of her food, Chef Michelle Bernstein will make your jaw drop. Her credentials are enough to get foodies quivering, as she's owner of several heavily awarded restaurants, a James Beard award winner, an Iron Chef winner (versus Bobby Flay), a Food Network personality with her own cookware line, and an author. Ah yes—and she's Delta's celebrity chef, formulating special courses to be enjoyed in-flight by those in BusinessElite or First Class on select flights.

Horse likes this.
  2. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Too bad the catering companies contracted by DL can not bring Michelle's vision to a proper finish. Dinner, enroute to EZE, in BE was one of the worst excuses for a meal I've had in decades of flying.

3. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every Berstein "masterpiece" on DL I've had has been a disaster. UA's Charlie Trotter creations are much better than DL Bernstein meals. If you wan an airline that does celebrity chefs well, SQ and Sam Leong know what they're doing.

Jslo likes this.
  4. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even UA has screwed up many a Trotter meal. You're right about the SQ arrangement with Leong, I have yet to hear a complaint. Yoshihro Murata is another SQ weapon bringing joy to SQ diners.

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Swiss airlines tends to execute meals quite well.

6. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also had a Matt Moran from MEL-SIN and that was probably one of my top in flight meals. My dad (a PPS Solitaire) has had them all and says Gordon Ramsey is about the only one he hasn't been impressed with, but Murata and George Blanc are his favorites.

Personally on an US carrier, I'd like to see a Mario Batali grill creation as hes got some great recipes for grilling.

sobore likes this.
  7. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only speciality thing on DL that hasn't been a disaster was their speciality mixed drinks (Mojito, Margarita). Of course they got rid of those in favor of the "Sky Breeze" (Fresca & Woodford)?!?!?

Italy98 likes this.
  8. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been so impressed by SQ FC (Western) meals as opposed to their champagne and some of their French red wines. To me, the SQ meals--mostly book the cook--are reminiscent of old-fashioned country club dinners and with overcooked vegetables and uninteresting heavy sauces. Except for the satay (yum) and caviar courses, I like the DL BE meals better, although I wish DL and SQ wouldn't insist on overcooking red meat.

Italy98 likes this.
  9. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I must have different luck as I've never had SQ overcook my beef. DL is a different story. OZ I think has the best beef in flight and they're easily competitive with a great steakhouse and the only airline that's asked me how I want my steak done in F, C, and Y :eek:.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    From the article:
    As you can guess from this story's title, Michelle loves those nuts. If you're lucky enough to be flying in a class where the flight attendant refills your champagne and delivers the little dish of salty cashews and almonds, she encourages you to dig in, as the bites "open your appetite" and should help keep you from "eating too much of the potatoes later."

As if we could typically expect to order seconds. Is this a suggestion that we shouldn't be finishing the huge portions that come on the plate?

ShopAround and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. Wurm
    Original Member

Wurm Silver Member

Status Points:
    Having eaten in Michelle Bernstein's Miami-area restaurants, I wouldn't think that her cooking (several simple-seeming but actually-complicated dishes that stress very fresh locally-sourced ingredients) would translate very well to even the best flight kitchen.

travelgourmet and MSPeconomist like this.
  12. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only flight I had a steak on DL that came out right, was on the 777. Apparently, the FAs can remove the steak at a time that does not turn it into shoe leather.... The ovens on the 747 are incapable of heating the steak right... oh well...

MSPeconomist likes this.
  13. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    In all fairness, the steaks aren't Michelle Bernstein dishes.

However, I've had mixed experiences in asking the crew to cook mine less. Some are very good about trying to not overcook the meat, others resist/argue, and a few have even agreed while planning to do nothing to prevent the overcooking. To me, it would make more sense to normally do the meat less well done, since it can always be cooked more if someone complains.

Wurm likes this.
  14. The Points Guy
    Original Member

The Points Guy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was at that event and present when the Jaunted editor was asking her about nuts. Michelle is a really down to earth person and fantastic chef.

As far as Delta meals, in comparison to the other legacy US carriers, I personally think they are better. I recently had an abominable meal in AA International First and another no-so-great one in UA international first class. I would have gladly opted for a Delta BE meal in their place.

Lets be real, food in the air is never going to be legendary, but I feel like Delta does a good job at providing decent options.

15. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe some of the beef dishes are hers, such as April's Beef Tenderloin and Shrimp Scampi on flights out of the U.S.
    With beef, I usually find that US-originating flights tend to have more "medium-rare" or "rarer" steaks, whereas the Europe-originating beef is usually overcooked already, even before the FA gets his/her hands on it. And flights originating from many of the Eastern European/Russian destinations usually have some of the worst beef dishes - usually can't even find a decent piece of tenderloin or beef filet on those flights.

My favorite Michelle Bernstein dish is the chicken with cipollini onions in a blue cheese sauce,served with spinach and mash potatoes available this month (April) on flights headed back to the U.S. It should come around in July again!

Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  16. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    The beef and shrimp that you mention is my very favorite, especially when it's served with (mushroom?) risotto and asparagus spears.

17. ClipperDelta
    Original Member

ClipperDelta Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, April's (and July's, October's etc.) meals are the best of the lot. On flights out of the U.S., the beef tenderloin/shrimp scampi dish and the crab cakes are both very good. On flights back to the U.S., the chicken in blue cheese sauce is great, IMO..

Gargoyle and MSPeconomist like this.
  18. ande777emt
    Original Member

ande777emt Gold Member

Status Points:
    Many who've flown SU may disagree with that, I will. I think it's who DL uses. Having taken the DME-SIN leg on SQ, I'll say I had no problems with the catering from DME.

19. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The originator of that drink should be thrown in jail with only Fresca to subsist on.

20. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    Graced with an op-up this Tuesday going TXL-JFK, I was actually rather impressed with the food in BE. I had the spicy shrimp and quinoa salad appetizer with carrot ginger soup. All of it was light and tasty and paired well with the Chenin Blanc. The steak was indeed a bit overdone but met expectations, and the potato wedges and asparagus were fine—though not the giant white variety of Spargel on every restaurant menu in Berlin this week. I was tempted to get the chicken that Bernstein is quoted as treating like filet mignon, but I wanted to try the Bordeaux, which was also great. For dessert I had a pear tart, having observed the ice cream was frozen solid. I do believe the tart was peach, but decent nonetheless.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  21. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    You just made me sad that I won't be in Germany for any part of Spargel season this year. Nevertheless your meal sounds good, although I'm sure you could have had both the ice cream and the tart.

22. samonyc
    Original Member

samonyc Silver Member

Status Points:
    The FA seemed a little disappointed I refused the ice cream, but my seatmate was already struggling to saw into his by then. The tart was plenty, especially with the dessert wine.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  23. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your thinking. I'll gladly sacrifice a dessert for a nice dessert wine.

SC Flier and samonyc like this.
  24. ShopAround
    Original Member

ShopAround Silver Member

Status Points:
    Those are two of my favorites. I think the crab cakes are as good as any I've been served in a restaurant.

Gargoyle likes this.
  25. travelgourmet
    Original Member

travelgourmet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. With very, very few exceptions, the food I'm served in the air struggles to out-do Applebee's. The constraints of cooking in the air are simply too much to overcome on a consistent basis. I tend to avoid steaks on any carrier, as I find them usually bland, overcooked, and often tough or chewy. I prefer slow-cooked meats on the plane - had a passable steak and ale pie on BA a couple of weeks ago.

As far as Delta goes, I think they do a decent job, with certain dishes, especially the crab cakes, almost dipping their toe into the excellent (for airplane food) category. I have been pretty impressed with the wine choices Delta has had for maybe the past half year or so - some of the wines (Paul Hobbs, looking at you) are quite a substantial step-up from typical business class wines.

I like Fresca. I like Woodford. The idea of mixing the too is too grotesque to think about.