Why can't UA fly to King George Island?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Scottrick, Oct 16, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I noticed elsewhere that an outfit called Quark Expeditions is offering United bonus miles for booking trips to Antarctica. They even have an option that saves some time by flying you to King George Island to meet the ship there, instead of boarding in Chile.

http://www.quarkexpeditions.com/antarctic-expeditions/antarctica-fly-and-cruise/overview

Unfortunately, it looks like some no-name contract carrier. Why can't UA become a truly WORLDwide airline and fly there themselves? Are they afraid of penguins? This would be a change I'd like.

(And yes, I'm fully aware of the economics. I am speaking partly in jest.)

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think UA could do this service with a Boeing 737-500 and fit them with skis as soon as they retire them all =D

OTOH... I want to do the Antarctica Expedition... I have to save up some major $$$ from now till my 30th Birthday I guess...

3. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew on one of those between IAH and SAT. I don't remember the last time I was on a 737 so small... probably back when I started flying Southwest.

And, yes, I hope to travel there by the time I'm 30, too. I think I can fit in all seven continents in the next three years.

4. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I was in Punta Arenas, I saw the Antarctic Logistics & Expeditions Il-76 that flies from there to Patriot Hills Antarctic Base (a Chilean base on the continent). It's possible to book seats on the flight and lodging at the base, but it isn't cheap.

Was pretty cool seeing this on the arrivals board:

[​IMG]

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    One of these days I'll be to all SEVEN Continents...I've been to six already =D

6. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    i took this flight in march, it is a very short runway that needs a small propeller plane or military transport.