Why cant OW get WestJet

Discussion in 'oneworld' started by rajuabju, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. rajuabju
    Original Member

rajuabju Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure this has been discussed before, and I remember years ago there was some mention of WestJet joining OW... but this is really a need. OW's coverage in Canada is abysmal IMO, and WestJet is the only available choice. I know its not the ideal partner, but they already have codeshare with several OW airlines.

I really think it would be an important pickup for OW to pickup WestJet. Last thing we need is for SkyTeam to take them.

Traveloguy likes this.
  2. WestJet has never announced nor suggested it was joining an alliance. It did however announce some interlining agreements as few years back which from memory started with a few OW carriers.

I'm sure it will join an alliance when the right time comes, but for now it seems it is happy to just play it alone.

Globaliser likes this.
  3. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    i recently had a discussion wtih a WJ insider and they noted they were looking at Alaska as a model and not being a member per se of any particular alliance. i advised that i would drop all my domestic AC flights and move them to WJ the moment i could collect miles on AA or BA on those.

4. milestoburn
    Original Member

milestoburn Gold Member

Status Points:
    it was actually recently with CX and also recently with DL on interlines.

5. Cage
    Original Member

Cage Silver Member

Status Points:
    Westjet has no interest in joining either OW or Skyteam. They are only interest is for inbound interline and codeshares (e.g. the CX deal is one way deal where by CX gives WS pax but Westjet does not give CX pax).

The life blood of WS is too much against the frequent travel model (points, lounges, priority everything) to allow for them to join OW. Cost is the primary factor pushing WS away from alliance membership. However WS is also scared the frequent travel model would force them to chose between Frequent flyer and their bread and butter VFR (visiting friends and relatives) traveller.

At the end of the day WS will end up with about 20-50 inbound interline agreements and of those about 15 will be inbound codeshares. At no time will WS provide for all the alliance issues around point collection and award redempton on WS coded flights (e.g. you will get CX points if on a CX codeshare YYC-YVR-HKG, but not the same WS ticket stock issued YYC-YVR).

6. ChicagoEric
    Original Member

ChicagoEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree. Announcing the DL interline agreement on the heals of the AA one was their way of communicating this to the world. I will be watching to see if any other codeshares emerge - CX was done for a very specific reason.

7. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they are moving slowly towards joining a alliance, their new FF program was a good start, but it will take some time. But I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that when they join, its going to be OW and on ST

8. moa999
    Original Member

moa999 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree - whats in it for Westjet, they disappoint one of the alliances who may shift traffic to the competitor.
    Staying single lets them play the field
    (similar to DJ in Australia which has key partners with Delta (ST), AirNZ (*A) and Virgin Atlantic, Ethiad (unaligned)