Why Can't I use my Hertz Gold Points?

Discussion in 'Hertz | #1 Awards/#1 Club' started by lederach104, Dec 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. lederach104

lederach104 Active Member

Status Points:
    Good Afternoon,

I'm having a really hard time redeeming my Hertz gold points. At first I thought I was just using a tough itinerary (SLC to RNO one-way) but even very mundane weekend rentals at MIA, SFO, JFK, and PHL all come up with "it looks like you don't have enough gold points for this rental." I have 2,000 gold points, which should be enough for a weekend rental. It's been doing this for months now, and I'm having a difficult time finding any reservations that will take my gold points.

What am I doing wrong? I found one rental where it accepted the reservation with gold points, but only for one of the days and the rest of the reservation was at a crazy high rate.

Please help. I consider myself well versed with miles and points, but this is beyond me.

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you tried calling Hertz reservations or the number on your Gold card?

3. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    One-way rentals require about twice as many points as round-trip - two weekend days one-way should be 2,200 points, assuming the lower price point is available. And Hertz's one-way paid rates tend to be scary. Consider breaking the trip up: can you usehave a local rental for one day and a one-way rental for one day?

4. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    I keep having the same issue -- enough points for a weekend day, but when I try to use it for one day of a two-day reservation, it says something like, "Either you don't have enough points or the location doesn't participate." Can I get a list of excluded locations? I've tried Maui and Key West, so maybe vacation-y places can exclude themselves?

5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd skip this and use CDP 205521, PC 179804, one free weekend day on two day rental (Entertainment 2014 codes).

traveltoomuch and Jenny & Curt like this.
  6. ajlex

ajlex Active Member

Status Points:
    I also have the same issue and have given up on using Hertz points. It is obviously a sort of scam in that they reward you with points which
    are only useful in theory.

7. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, I get this too... and also have given up on points usage.

I find that Hertz rarely has good rates for where I need to use them (though I DO find the occasional exception).

8. KateBennet

KateBennet Member

Status Points:
    Me too (((

9. schmick

schmick New Member

Status Points:
    I had the same issue. According to their Gold Points rewards page, I had enough points for 2 free weekend days, but it gave me the error about not enough points or the location doesn't accept points. So I called in and talked to someone. The location *did* accept points and she said I had enough points for *1* free day and could not explain why the site said I had enough for *2*. She then said that actually the weekend I wanted to go was "blacked out" and it bumped the points tier to a higher class and thus I didn't have enough after all. I asked her how I could find when those blackout dates were and what the tiers for them were on the website, since it said nothing about that on the rewards page, and she said you can't. So apparently they have hidden tiers and blackout dates that they hide from you and that's why you can't ever use your points even when their own documentation says you have enough. Pretty much a sham.