Why Best Western?

Discussion in 'Best Western | Rewards' started by vickers, Oct 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yesterday I received my shiny new Best Western Diamond Elite Reward Card in the mail thanks to their No Catch Status Match.

Although I know the benefits on paper, I have never stayed at a Best Western. But im wondering from those who like or frequent the chain, why Best Western, as opposed to a chain like the Marriott? The promotions do not seem to be as good, but the prices are better. Are you sacrificing something for those prices?

What about upgrades as Diamond Elite? Any success stories? I appreciate your feedback.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    ffitalia, uggboy and vickers like this.
  3. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks @Sweet Willie. I see that being a common theme. Although I have never stayed in a hotel outside of the US (other than Canada) it seems that you get more bang for your buck (and certificates) when staying internationally.

uggboy and Sweet Willie like this.
  4. jonspencer

jonspencer Silver Member

Status Points:
    in Asia, there are more upscale BW Premier and BW+ (Korea, Thailand, Mongolia...) that can be fairly nice

I personally found the Diamond status nearly worthless

however I think BW's claim is they have more hotels than any other chain, so they are everywhere if you really want to earn points with some chain

uggboy, vickers and Sweet Willie like this.
  5. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    I never understand the existence of BW - I wouldn't stay at their hotel. Quality varies and the loyalty programme doesn't mean much.

uggboy and vickers like this.
  6. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    the elite benefits / status don't seem that significant, however, i believe they recently improved their BRG policy, you get $100 BW gift card, which in some cases, covers most/all of one's stay cost !

CHK, uggboy, vickers and 1 other person like this.
  7. DTWBOB

DTWBOB Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did the same type match, have stayed at a BW one time since then and haven't been back because it took over 30 minutes to get checked in, the lobby had no a/c and it was over 90 outside, and the internet didn't work and they didn't even have a resturant guide.

Aside from that it's hard to say it was fine.

DTWBOB.

vickers likes this.
  8. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've had some very nice stays at BWs outside N America... in fact some like the one we used in Rotorua, NZ were outstanding. BW isn't my favorite generally, but I will check them out at least when booking internationally.

But domestically I haven't found many worth considering, much less booking. In fact, I can't think of a time in the last 20 years I've stayed at a N American BW.

Their loyalty program isn't that great...though frankly, the other chains' programs aren't what they once were, and seem to be devaluing more rapidly. So that isn't a significant factor for me, personally.

traveltoomuch and vickers like this.
  9. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    Because Best Westerns are often found in places where Marriotts are not. Not all travel is to large cities; in many small towns places like Best Western, Day's Inn, and Comfort Inn are "the fancy hotel." If you travel a lot to those sorts of towns, joining loyalty programs for mid-range and lower-end chain hotels can make a lot of sense.

YULtide, ffitalia, B1BomberVB and 3 others like this.
  10. Max M

Max M Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bingo!

B1BomberVB and vickers like this.
  11. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was just going to ask how they should be compared. Would you say they are more like the Wyndham chain? Ive stayed in some dives by Wyndham.

12. moongoddess

Status Points:
    I haven't stayed in a Wyndham, so I can't say for sure. I have stayed in some Comfort Inns and Days Inns, though, and I find Best Western is usually a step up from them (although the quality of the property can vary quite a bit depending on the owner, which is true of pretty much all of the non-luxury chains). The ones I've stayed at have been clean and comfortable, just not luxurious. And since they often have a decent pool and laundry facilities, and always have free WiFi and buffet breakfast, they are a good choice for budget-minded families (who don't usually care about having concierges and room service).

YULtide and vickers like this.
  13. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thats me. Thank you for the review!

14. moongoddess

Status Points:
    You're welcome! Do check reviews (at Trip Advisor or elsewhere) before booking a particular Best Western, because the quality can vary a lot between properties - but the ones I've stayed in (most recently in Bozeman, MT and Moab, UT) have been perfectly fine.

YULtide and vickers like this.
  15. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Will do, thank you. Im looking for a secondary hotel chain that is lower cost for family travel, or if i just need a place to lay my head. Im big into consistency, and Wyndham just does not have it. Ive looked at several Best Western hotels around me, and the Trip Advisor reviews are consistency high.

16. nacho

nacho Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sometimes I found BW more expensive than Marriott (especially with Marriott's BRG), with Marriott promo stay 2 times and get 1 free night, and the GC 10% + cash back definitely make me stick with them. Also their FFI IMO is better than BW. The $100 BW GC is it only for US residents only?

vickers likes this.
  17. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely agree when you look at the promotions. Marriott blows them out of the water.

18. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I find, especially in North America, that you can find Best Westerns in off-the-beaten-path locations. Sometimes it will be the only chain hotel, giving you at least one option for points. I have rarely been upgraded, but at least you get some bonus points for Diamond. They run good promotions with their airline partners, which will provide at least a little value.

Sweet Willie and vickers like this.
  19. HighPlainsDrifter

HighPlainsDrifter Silver Member

Status Points:
    The great value in BW is the occasional 'stay two or three times and get a free night' promotion. There are actually quite a few domestic BWs that have great historic charm and superb locations - the Lighthouse in Pacifica, CA and the Pioneer Inn in Lahaina, Maui for example.

vickers likes this.
  20. alfagirl

alfagirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup, it is all relative. The closest any other chain, Starwood, Hyatt, Marriott is 60+ miles away. The BW Plus I stay in is the 'fanciest' and about a mile away from where I need to be. If you stay on the 'Executive level' with a River View, at least you do not smell the Mc Donald's fries. It is tougher to get a room where earplugs are not standard - the hotel is right near Hwy 84. As a Diamond, I am over 50 nights there since April and I have been upgraded only twice.
    I think it is funny that one of the advertised benefits is a specially printed card key sleeve.

vickers likes this.
  21. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, im assuming there are a ton of BW Diamonds then...... Yeah, i was wondering about that printed card key sleeve. How is it different from a Marriott key sleeve?

22. RicGarrido
    Original Member

RicGarrido Silver Member

Status Points:
    At least in the western states Best Western tend to be the hotel brand closest to the national parks gate entrances outside the park. Along Highway 1/101 Best Western has some great ocean view locations in California. The Premier designation indicate some nicer hotels with good room furnishings.

The Best Western is the upscale brand over Days Inn (Wyndham) and Quality Inn (Choice) in many of the towns I have traveled in the western states.

B1BomberVB, vickers and moongoddess like this.
  23. moongoddess

Status Points:
    That was exactly the scenario I was thinking about in my original reply. I stayed in a Best Western in Bozeman, MT before and after my visit to Yellowstone, and again during my stay in Moab, UT when I was visiting Arches and Canyonlands National Parks. And there's a Best Western just outside the entrance to the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

In the western US, the brand is ubiquitous - and the properties are usually quite nice, too.

24. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    BW exists for the benefit of hotel owners, not travellers. It actively markets itself to hotel developers as offering lower franchise costs than other brands. Technically it's not even a for-profit franchiser - it's a non-profit marketing cooperative, where the independently owned hotels are its members. My impression is that their brand standards are weaker than other chains'.

Undercover Boss UK did a segment on them which highlighted how some properties are barely scraping by. It was interesting to compare that to the Undercover Boss US episode on Choice Hotels, which is another brand with no corporate-owned properties. It was clear in both cases that the franchiser's tools for quality control are weak, and that there's a strong disincentive to kick an underperforming property out - the franchiser doesn't make money when it does that.

vickers likes this.
  25. traveltoomuch

traveltoomuch Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interestingly, their marketing material for hotel developers compares the base BW brand to Quality Inn, Days Inn, Red Roof Inn, Ramada, and Super 8. You have to step up to BW Plus to get comparisons to Fairfield, La Quinta, Holiday Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Comfort Inn, and Hampton Inn.

vickers likes this.