Why are you using social media sites of airlines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by Waldisbe, May 30, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Waldisbe

Waldisbe Active Member

Status Points:
    Hello everyone!

I would like to ask for opinion! Nowadays, almost every airline in the world can be found Facebook, Twitter, YouTube etc. And some of them like Southwest, KLM or Air Asia have an incredible amount of Followers and interact with a huge community. Fascinated by the the huge growth over the last few years, I decided to analyse this phenomenon in my Master's Thesis.

Hence, I'd like to examine why people use social media sites of airline. What are the specific motives? What functions are used and so on... And there is probably no better place to find people who have actually experience with such sites than here, in this forum. So, I hope you can help me out and participate in my survey.

The study can be found here: http://bit.ly/10uyHdH

And yeah, you have even the chance to win some deeelicious Swiss chocolate when you participate :D

I hope this request won't bother you guys. I tried to contact the admin about a week ago if he is OK when I would open this thread, but I haven't received any answer so far :(

In case you are interested, I would publish the most important findings once the survey is evaluated. Also, we could further discuss the topic in here. What are your experiences so far with airlines in social networks?

Dani

anileze likes this.
  2. Steven Schwartz
    Original Member

Steven Schwartz Gold Member

Status Points:
    My sense is that social venues are a good place to find good deals, but that most of us want the flights for free! Not sure there is much for us there.

MX likes this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not those operated by the airlines, IMO. At least not anymore. Back when UA had the Tweeps specials on Twitter they were good deals. Now the social media platforms are part of the regular marketing channel where the usual "sales" are advertised. Depending on the airline there may also be customer service and reservations agents as part of the team, making for a more rounded experience.

Mistake fares are certainly discussed plenty in other social platforms (including this one) but that's quite different from the industry-run sites.

4. StevenGerrard

StevenGerrard Silver Member

Status Points:
    Social media is the part of our life we meet with our friend and share our good movements with them so companies want to interact with us in our daily life so they try to attract us and shows us good offers also. It is good and i think it is new revolution for next market generation.

5. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Social media works but is a personal waste of my time. I belong to various airline, hotel, etc. Facebook likes, twitter followings, etc. because I probably got some points or miles or a contest entry by liking them at one point in time. Social media is so yesterday, now everything is tending back to blogs like tumblr and smartphone apps. What's next? Most teens will tell you they don't even bother with Facebook much, it's something that adults do now.

MX likes this.
  6. Waldisbe

Waldisbe Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you guys for your insights! I appreciate your participation and your opinions on the topic so far. Already the statements here show me that there are various reasons why people use or don't use these communication tools. It is really also a question of the generation and the consumer habits.

I have almost enough participants to complete the survey, so thank everyone who participated so far! And for all the others, your participation would be a great help :)

7. Waldisbe

Waldisbe Active Member

Status Points:
    Okay, thank you guys for your insights. I think there will be some interesting facts to reveal in the study. I will close the survey this weekend. So last chance to participate :)

Btw, from a frequent flyer point of view: what could airlines possibly do to increase your comfort when it comes to social media?